It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2006, 07:30 AM   #1
(female)

sk1pp3r HB User
Lightbulb Straightening hair with perming lotion?

Is it true you can actually STRAIGHTEN curly hair by using perming lotion and keeping the hair straight??

I dont know much about perms, assuming that the way a perm is done is the lotion is applied to the hair and then put into rollers and thats the way the perm sets??

If i slopped the perming lotion on my curly hair and kept combing it straight would it be straight perminatly???

Please help! Thanx .....xx

Old 03-08-2006, 09:17 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

caliente HB User
Re: Straightening hair with perming lotion?

i had my hair straightened that way at a salon when i was a teenager. they coated my hair in perm chemicals and then constantly combed it straight until it was done. i had really long hair back then and it took about half a day to do.

it turned out REALLY STRAIGHT but it was also REALLY DRY and REALLY FRIED. shortly after it was done, i had to chop my waist-length hair to about my jawline just to get rid of the damage.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2006, 10:37 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

They sell kits at drugstores that are similar to this.. I tried an Ogilvie one and saw NO DIFFERENCE at all! It was such a bummer and a waste of time.. plus it didn't smell good! I followed all the directions but my hair was exactly the same afterwards. I know salons can do the Japanese straightening system.. I don't know if that is the same! I know your hair DOES have to be very healthy to get that done.. and I even heard you still have to blow dry it afterwards, plus it's expensive!

Old 03-09-2006, 01:15 AM   #4
(female)

sk1pp3r HB User

Ooooo.... Well my hair is pretty short, just above jaw line and a very choppy 'messy' style and its a nightmare to actually straighten! but i have had the trouble with having my hair so dry and damaged that i had to have the chop, hence the short hair now! but now my hair is shorter i take much better care of it and use heat protection sprays and things like that to minimise the damage and i would say its in pretty good condition. so i think ill give it a go! and also, as your hair was so very long and they spent a fair bit of time actually using the lotion maybe thats why it got so damaged?? just a suggestion, but ill definatly report back and let you know if it works!
Anyone else have a nightmare with curly hair???...xx

Old 03-09-2006, 08:56 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

hillaryb HB User

It really ruins the texture of your hair, so you will have straight icky hair. You would be better off working with what you have. I blow dry with a round brush and keep my hair healthy. I've never heard anyone say anything good about at-home straightening kits (perms). Thermal Reconditioning CAN have good results but it costs hundreds of dollars,and it STILL fries some people's hair.

Closed Thread