It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2006, 03:53 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

CINDERELLA HB User
sagging under eye skin

I feel yuck, my hair is greying and now my undereyes are getting bad, I dont really have wrinkles but the skin under my eyes is dropping and get crepey, I have tried those eye exercises to tone the muscles but think they are just stretching the skin. Any solutions, any great taut eye creams. I hear people mention Preparation H, cant imagine that would be good in that area. HELP!!

Old 03-10-2006, 11:45 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

cookiepls HB User
Re: sagging under eye skin

It can't hurt to try the Preparation H. I know it's not a miracle cure; there aren't any, short of surgery, for the undereye sagging, but it does reduce puffiness and swelling.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2006, 11:33 AM   #3
(female)

maddelyn HB User

My favorite is Clinique's Anti-Gravity Firming Eye Lift. I mainly use it at night because it's a little thick to wear under foundation. But after about a month I noticed a big difference - especially with the bags under my eyes, and the lines have softened. Other than that, I have never used Prep H and probably never will try it (sounds scary). Hope this helps!

Old 03-11-2006, 02:32 PM   #4
(female)

Afterglow HB User

cookie, have you used Preparation H recently? I know it used to contain an ingredient that did help the undereye area. However, it changed the formula several years ago and the manufacturer says the ingredient that was successful in helping the undereye area is no longer there. Personally, I don't see why people have a problem using it *anywhere* if it works!

Old 03-11-2006, 04:53 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

cookiepls HB User

Hi Afterglow,
No, actually I've never used it. Nothin' there but a laugh line or two. LOL
My sister used to use it when she was up late at night and had kinda puffy eyes, and sometimes when she had some water retention. It really worked for her.

Too bad they changed the ingredients. That makes me want to call my sister and ask her what she uses now.

Old 03-11-2006, 11:43 PM   #6
(female)

Afterglow HB User

Cookie, if you get a chance to ask your sister what she uses now, please report back here. I'm very interested! Thanks!

Old 03-12-2006, 08:51 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

cookiepls HB User

I called my sister last night and asked her what she was using now. She told me she isn't using anything. Sorry.
I don't have undereye sagging or puffiness but I've been using glycolic acid for years, and a sunscreen. The little bit of lines around my eyes don't worry me. It's less than what most people have who are 20 years younger than me, but I think I got them from wearing contacts. I would always pull down on the lower lid to remove them. I stopped wearing them because I didn't want more wrinkles. LOL
I honestly believe the glycolic acid and sunscreen is what's kept my skin looking younger. I'm 48 but no one even comes close to guessing it.

I think the best bet for undereye sagging is still blepharoplasty, you know, where a surgeon makes a tiny incision in the lower lash line and removes the excess fat and skin. They may have some new treatments now, but I keep hearing about all these creams and lotions that are supposed to work. I guess some of them might make a slight improvement, at least a temporary one.

Old 03-12-2006, 11:10 AM   #8
(female)

Afterglow HB User

Thanks for asking your sister anyway. You're right in that nothing really works, as well and as permanently, as surgery.

Old 03-12-2006, 04:46 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

tigerlillyrose HB User

In my opinion, aside from surgery, the ONLY things that are going to make a difference are: retinol cream at night with a moisturizer on top of it, Vitamin C *serum* during the day with *heavy* daily suncreen on top ot it. Do both for maximum effects, but you have to moisturize and you have to protect your skin against the sun.
Roc makes good retinol products (available at drugstores)
Vitamin C serum made for the eyes is going to cost you. Cell-X C makes one. There may be specialty shops online that have cheaper versions (platinumskincare.com). They are still not going to be cheap but they are cheaper than surgery. However, you will not reverse the problem entirely without surgery. Once the skin has significantly lost elasticity, even surgery has its limitations. You can make your skin look better, though, with or without surgery. (Injectables are also an option, but again very expensive and not permanent...)
Sunscreen is essential. You have to wear it every day and since your concern is around your eyes, wear sunglasses whenever outside.

Old 03-12-2006, 09:42 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

SophiaM HB User

Cookie, are you using glycolic acid creams from a dermatologist or drugstore brands? Can you recommend a good one?

Old 03-12-2006, 10:22 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

cookiepls HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophiaM
Cookie, are you using glycolic acid creams from a dermatologist or drugstore brands? Can you recommend a good one?
I use Neoteric's Alpha Hydroxy 10% lotion (drugstore). I haven't had any luck in a while finding my 10% Alpha Hydroxy. All I'm finding is 8% or less. That's okay though. I also use a 50% glycolic acid peel (purchased online), about once a month.

Old 03-13-2006, 08:17 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

SophiaM HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiepls
I use Neoteric's Alpha Hydroxy 10% lotion (drugstore). I haven't had any luck in a while finding my 10% Alpha Hydroxy. All I'm finding is 8% or less. That's okay though. I also use a 50% glycolic acid peel (purchased online), about once a month.
Thank you, Cookie. Do you know if it's safe for sensitive skin? And do you use it only once a day or twice a day? I'm almost 34 and don't have any lines or wrinkles yet, so I want to keep it that way. What's the name of the 50% peel, if you don't mind sharing? If I know the name, I can try to find it online. Sorry for all these questions but I've never used Alpha hydroxy products before, and it would be great to get some tips from someone who has had experience with them. Thanks!

Last edited by SophiaM; 03-13-2006 at 08:47 AM.

Old 03-14-2006, 12:33 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

jam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB User

hi, sorry for barging in but wanted to share information that may be helpful. On the Alpha Hydroxy Lotion, I have shopped all over....according to my dermatologist there isn't any long term performance difference between the 8% and 10% level. The 8% will accomplish the same results it just takes a longer period of use. Within 9 months of regular use the 8% will accomplish what even a 12%+ would do. The best purchasing location is Walgreen's; their house brand is about $6.

However, if you have darker skin tone, you need to be very careful with at home peels because if you don't achieve even covering it is possible to end up with calico skin. I am very fair with very sensitive skin. I have had no problem but must progressively build skin tolerance to peels starting out at lowest levels and working up to achieve skin tolerance otherwise you could risk potential skin damage and scaring.

Last edited by moderator2; 03-14-2006 at 06:04 AM.

Old 03-14-2006, 08:39 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

SophiaM HB User

Thank you, Jam! I also have fair skin which is sensitive. I just found the Alpha Hydrox 12% Souffle at a drug store, so I'm going to use it every other day I think. The 50% peel sounds a bit scary--I don't want to end up looking like Samantha from the episode of SATC where she had a peel done at a dermatologist's office and ended up all with angry red skin all over her face LOL

Closed Thread