It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2006, 09:50 PM   #1
(female)

monnitascl HB User
Smile Black hair to light highlights help!!

Hi Guys,
I have a question, see I have naturally very dark hair almost black and I tried highlighting my hair very light almost blonde hair, and the results were horrible my hair turned orange ORANGE!!! I was so mad, so I had to dye it back to black, that was over a year ago. But now I want to do the highlights again to give me a different look and go lighter, but I don't want to go orange again. Is there anything I can tell my hair dresser or a color I can suggest to her so I can not come out looking like a fruit Thank you so much for taking your time

Old 04-12-2006, 10:26 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User
Re: Black hair to light highlights help!!

Did you highlight it yourself when it happened? Most people I know that try to go blonde or do blonde highlights on even medium brown hair aren't too successful and get orangey color. I've never had this happen at a salon EVER and the color always comes out good. Just tell them about what happened before, and make sure you tell them you don't want the color TOO golden to where it looks orange. They can put toner on it also to make any yellow color go away and make it blonde. They always do this to me to get rid of the brassy color. Good luck!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2006, 10:36 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

MommaBee HB User

From what I understand, you cannot get dark hair to go blonde in just one bleaching. You have to do it in steps or you will burn the hair. Your being orange is the first step then you have to do it again at another time to give the hair a chance to "heal" so to speak.
I think that going that drastic is going be hard to keep up. But that is just my opinion.
Good luck!

Old 04-12-2006, 10:37 PM   #4
(female)

monnitascl HB User

Thanks for your reply, but yeah I did go to a salon and I even told the hair salon lady that I didn't want to come out orange cause that's what my friends told me to tell her, and she said no it'll come out nice. Not only did it come out orange she left me in the bleach thingy for over an hour and now I'm paying for it because my hair is always tangled and it's so dry and before it was soft. Please help! But thank you for your reply

Old 04-12-2006, 10:55 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

ThisGirl0 HB User

Yea, you can't really go from almost black to blonde right away.
It will take a few gradual steps. If you want it bad enough you'll have to put up with the orange for a while.
Whatever you decide to do, don't bleach your hair a bunch of times in a row. I know this really stupid girl (I know that's mean, but seriously..some people lack common sense), anyway, she bleached her hair like 3 times in a row, I think, in like maybe a week and a half or so. Well, the last time she did it her hair started breaking off and falling out like crazy. I'm surprised she didn't go bald. Now her hair is like 50 different lengths all over because it broke off so much... not only that but it's the ugliest shade of yellow I've ever seen.

You definitely DON'T want that to happen to you. If you want the highlights, do it gradually and put up with the orange for a while. If your hair is dry from just one bleaching, think how bad it would be if you did it multiple times in a matter of days or even weeks. Not smart.
Either accept the orange for a while, or keep your hair the way it is. I suggest you keep it and just go out in the sun for a while in the summer. You'd be srprised how much the sun can lighten your hair.
My boyfriend has hair that's also really dark brown, almost black. But when he goes out in the sun in the summer parts of his hair turn medium brown/reddish brown. I personally think that looks better anyway.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Last edited by ThisGirl0; 04-12-2006 at 10:58 PM.

Old 04-13-2006, 10:34 AM   #6
(female)

monnitascl HB User

ThisGirl, you know what you are absolutley right I think I might do something with a slight change maybe just med brown highlights and leave it at that. You are right I don't want to end up getting upset in a soccer game and make a ball with my hair . Thanks for the tips ladies. But you are so right I think I should just stick to my hair color. Thank you so much!!

Old 04-13-2006, 06:39 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

SophiaM HB User

Why would you want to get blonde highlights over almost black hair?? Honestly, I think it's not the best idea. Most likely you don't have the right skin tone for it, either. In my opinion, it would be much more flattering and WAY less maintenance if you got highlights that are in a warmer and slightly lighter tone than your own haircolor, say burgundy-brown, or something with a slightly reddish hue. NOT blonde, though. Even if the color turned out okay, would you really want to deal with the dark roots, which would be extremely noticeable on naturally dark hair? Not worth it in my opinion. Oh, and please don't try to do your highlights at home--it's a disaster waiting to happen. It's so worth the money to go to the salon. good luck!

Old 04-14-2006, 10:21 AM   #8
(female)

monnitascl HB User

Yeah you are right Sofia I think I'm gonna do some very soft light brown highlights along with my dark hair. Actually, my skin is very light, and my black hair makes me look so pale that is why I need a change. Alot of people tell me that it looks nice you know the fair skin with dark hair, but i think I'm ready for a change. I'll keep you posted on my change thank you so much you guys for your input.

Old 04-14-2006, 02:22 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

LostMyHeart HB User

Interesting.... I have dark brown hair. I had been coloring it to a medium brown, but doing so always brought out the red undertones in my hair.
Once after coloring it, I decided it had to much red tint and went to the salon.
She told me the only thing I can do to help was bleach highlights. So I got them done - they turned out Great! Lightened my hair to look a lighter brown shade. I wasn't blonde, no where near it, but I wasn't going for that anyway.
Only problem is the bleach damaged my hair greatly, so I've just finished growing them out, still have damaged hair, but am not sure what to do now, as I want to highlight again, but want to get my hair healthy too.

I agree about the complexion, though. I am not quite "fair-skinned" but am more on the pale side than dark, and I definitely think the darker shades make me look more pale.

Old 04-14-2006, 02:33 PM   #10
(female)

anxiety27 HB User

I have my very dark brown, almost black hair professionally highlighted almost a year now. I was very concerned as you were that it would be orange or even a yucky red. My stylist assured me that he would not have it look that way, and he was right. What he did was he foiled in some light brown to medium brown highlights into the hair and then toned it again with the same color. He didn't use bleach, rather color. It looks great. It is in no way orange or even red. It looks as though I had a day at the beach, as the colors blend in nicely. It looks about 2 or 3 shades lighter than what I have, yet it isn't so sudtle that you can't see it. It is like a caramelly amberish color, very becoming on a brunnette and exactly what I envisioned. I don't have bad looking roots also, because it just blends in nicely almost looking like they just belong there. I have gotten so many compliements from it as it really brightened me up. Good luck..

Last edited by anxiety27; 04-14-2006 at 02:39 PM.

Old 04-16-2006, 02:35 PM   #11
(female)

monnitascl HB User

Anxiety, can you see your brown highlights or just in the sun. And what did you ask your hairstylist to do, did you request no bleach just color and if so what colors did you ask for. Thanks for the input.

Old 04-16-2006, 05:30 PM   #12
(female)

anxiety27 HB User

You can definitly see the highlights without the sun. It isn't just sudtle, it's very noticeable. I asked my guy for highlights that would look natural within the shades of my own hair. I wanted to go a couple of shades lighter then my own hair color. He said that I have golden, not red hues to my very dark hair, and so he was sure that it wouldn't come out the red or orange that I feared. I told him that I didn't want to use bleach in that it does dry out the hair, (been down that road before). When you drop color onto hair it adds sheen and depth, and is better for the hair. When you take color out it gets dull and dry. I don't know the brand or the name he used, I do know its a line from Italy. He gave me a book with all the swatches of hair pieces of shades for me to pick out and I choose medio bionde.. medium blond.. but that isn't quite what it looks like. It's more in the light brown category.. very pretty.. I am very happy with it, and as I said it is very noticable even without the sun..Good luck keep us up to date!

Old 04-17-2006, 06:23 AM   #13
(female)

Hell Camino HB User

I have never gotten my hair highlighted by a pro. I have really dark, dark hair, like Aisan hair. I wanted subtle light brown, (not blonde) hightlights for my prom two years ago, so I went Wal-Mart and bought a highlighting kit, La Petite something or other, it was the cheapest they had. Well, I come home later, all excited to get down to business. I look at the box more closely, at the bottom, in tiny print it says: "for dark blonde to light brown hair". But I ended using it anyway.

It was the best mistake I ever made. My hair turned out a cool light brown/dark blonde color. It looked hella good, if I do say so myself. Anyway, I managed to get it very blonde the more I touched it up. I guess I don't worry much about drying out my hair because my hair gets oily pretty quickly, so the texture of my hair was pretty much the same as before I frosted it. So it is possible to have dark hair and not have to go to a pro to achieve nice results. I think the secret is to get a highlighting kit that's for light brown hair and/or claims to give dark blond results.

Also, if you're going to use just regular blond frost & tip kit like from, say, Clairol, and get ugly orange "Harry and the Hendersons" orangutan results, you're supposed to go and get a regular blonde hair dye, preferably a color from the 'cool' family, like a light brown to dark blonde, to get the red tones out of your hair. I also hear you shouldn't color your hair while on you period because of your hormones.

Anyway, I just wanted to help any dark haired people on a budget, who don't have an option to get it done professionally. (I grew up in a family of 4 girls, who each liked being blond at one point in their lives, it was like rite of passage in my family, much to our mom's chagrin.)

Closed Thread