It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2006, 06:07 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

plasva HB User
How do you prevent oily skin/shine?

Hi,
Just wondering everyone's routine and products used to help prevent oily skin/shine. Somedays, my skin gets soooo oily, you would not believe it. Usually, I just use some foundation and wash my face 2X/day (with a lemongrass cleanser from Bath and Bodyworks thats says it's "clarifying" and is supposed to be for oily skin.) What else should I be doing?

Thanks

Old 06-22-2006, 09:48 PM   #2
(female)

qwerty3 HB User
Re: How do you prevent oily skin/shine?

I have the same problem. I just use Differin and Azelex once a day. I'm not sure if that is causing it..I think it just might be my skin! Anyways, like for instance whenever I am in a photo my face looks shiny/oily ..sorta like im sweating almost?

Is there any makeup or tips I can have to cover up this shiny look on my face?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-23-2006, 06:19 AM   #3
Inactive

lindanm HB User

There are oil absorbing moisturizers. Biore has one. Cornsilk which I think is now Sally Hansen has one. And I have an old tube of something by Neutragena which is probably discontinued. But if not, for some reason it's called Pore Refining gel.

In the past year, by skin normalized from supplements and diet changes. You should try that. First, I've been taking some Hormone blocking supplements--zinc and Saw Palmetto--for over a year and my formerly grotesquely oily skin got a lot less oily and I could wash my hair at night and get through the day instead of every morning. Then I cut way back on simple carbs in February and added another supplement--Nettle leaf. I also now take a prescription called spironolactone, but a minimal dosage as it dehydrates you which is killing me. I was prescribed 200 mgs, but have to cut the pills and only take 50-75.

Anyway, my skin isn't oily at all anymore. I can even skip washing my hair for a few days. And I apply camellia oil to my face as a moisturizer now.

You should try it.

Old 06-23-2006, 06:55 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

clinique has oil-blotting tissues

Old 06-23-2006, 12:18 PM   #5
(female)

Toni_no12002 HB User

I used to have really oily skin and i found that when i went out in the sun my skin seemed to be less oily.So you can get a tan and look less oily!great also its free

Old 06-26-2006, 12:27 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

saphire82 HB User

try seeing if this works, i got this from a beauty book and so far I think it works, wash face with powdered milk and tone with lemon juice, the lactic acid in milk absorbs the gunk and oil and the lemon juice regulates the ph.

Old 06-26-2006, 07:31 PM   #7
(female)

Iadinae HB User

I use the mattifier by Proactive. It works well.

Old 06-28-2006, 07:50 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

SophiaM HB User

If your skin is just oily but you don't get pimples, thank your lucky stars. I'm serious--oily skin stays young and wrinkle free for a very long time. I used to complain about my oily skin, but now I'm 34 and my skin looks significantly younger than most of my friends my age. My grandmother also had oily skin and she's in her late 80s now and still has soft skin with very few wrinkles--amazing. Don't use any harsh ingredients to wash your face, btw. because that will irritate your skin and cause it to produce more oil. I wash my face with the Soy foaming cleanser from Bath & Body Works, and use an uncented Eucerin moisturizer. You can just blot the oil with Clean & Clear blotting sheets (they are the best!) and powder it from time to time during the day to eliminate shine.

Old 06-29-2006, 01:10 PM   #9
(male)

vxnova HB User

I have very oily skin and I have to shave everyday and use an aftershave gel which makes my skin look even more oily. I wash my skin with a cleanser or rinse with water a few hours after I use my aftershave balm which seems to get most of the oil off and then I keep oil absorbing sheets and use them at night. I also wash my face with a benzoyl peroxide cleanser and cover my face and neck with a 10% benzoyl peroxide gel everynight before I go to sleep or else my face will be drenched in oil when I wake up in the morning and for some reason I get tiny whiteheads if I dont do this too.

Old 06-29-2006, 01:45 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

looky_loo143 HB User

I would suggest finding a good cleansing exfoliator. Gently exfoliating will clear away any dead skin cells that tend to clog pores that cause your skin to produce more oil. Also try using a toner that will further clean out any impurities from your skin that may have been left after exfoliating. It's always good to let your pores and skin breathe, which will help your skin control the oil it produces.

Old 06-29-2006, 01:52 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

I agree that the sun can help.. BUT then you can get sun damage, and later on it can make it more oily.. so there are tradeoffs.

I use Clean & Clear products.. the dual action moisturizer is great for my oily skin and prevents breakouts. It isn't too thick, but moisturizes any dry spots without making the face oily. I also like Clean & Clear oil absorbing sheets. I used to have VERY oily skin a few years ago and they were lifesavers!

Then of coure, make sure your makeup isn't making things worse. I like Covergirl Aquasmooth foundation and I also like mineral makeup.. keeps my skin looking fresh!! Lately I haven't needed to touch up my face at all or only once during the day since the oil has gotten so much better.

Old 07-23-2006, 07:21 PM   #12

john prado HB User
Talking Re: How do you prevent oily skin/shine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophiaM
If your skin is just oily but you don't get pimples, thank your lucky stars. I'm serious--oily skin stays young and wrinkle free for a very long time. I used to complain about my oily skin, but now I'm 34 and my skin looks significantly younger than most of my friends my age. My grandmother also had oily skin and she's in her late 80s now and still has soft skin with very few wrinkles--amazing. Don't use any harsh ingredients to wash your face, btw. because that will irritate your skin and cause it to produce more oil. I wash my face with the Soy foaming cleanser from Bath & Body Works, and use an uncented Eucerin moisturizer. You can just blot the oil with Clean & Clear blotting sheets (they are the best!) and powder it from time to time during the day to eliminate shine.

I agree with this post. I grew up with oily skin and for as long as I can remember I tried to eliminate it because it didn't look good on me, but like this post says when you get into your mid 30's you'll thank God for it. I'm 36 and I totally dig that my skin had all that oil in it. One of skins worst enemies is dryness, therefore if you're skin is oily the best advice I can give you is keep your hands away from it during the day, that's it. Besides anything you try to do will not eliminate it, the oil is in your genes. Chill out and try to enjoye it, you've got natures best skin.

Old 07-24-2006, 08:23 AM   #13
Inactive

lindanm HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by john prado
Besides anything you try to do will not eliminate it, the oil is in your genes. Chill out and try to enjoye it, you've got natures best skin.
Diet and supplements can help normalize your skin. Because testosterone stimulates oil production. And glucose stimulates the production of testosterone. So cutting back on simple carbs can help. Also, supplements like zinc, saw palmetto and Nettle leaf capsules block testosterone's conversion into the hormone that stimulates the oil production.

My formerly grotesquely oily skin isn't oily at all anymore. And this occured within the past year. I'd been taking zinc and saw palmetto for over a year and my skin wasn't hardly oily at all any more. Just bothersome on humid days. Then in February I started cutting back on sugars and simple carbs and started taking Nettle supplements and it got even more normal.

The final thing that made me not oily at all anymore is Spiro, which is a prescription I started a couple months ago.

Old 07-25-2006, 03:59 PM   #14
(female)

xx1xx HB User

I have naturally oily shiney skin and I use the following by Lush, they are a large handmade cosmetics company if no ones heard of them!

Anyway I use:

Coalface - This is a complexion soap with charcoal to exfoliate, this is really good for deep cleansing the pores

Followed by...

Tea Tree Toner - Just a quick wipe of this removes any excess oils.

And then...

Enzymion Moisturiser - This is so fantastic it has loads of fruit in it, like papaya and lemon, the fruit acts like enzymes removing oil and it leaves you with matte, moisturiser skin! Its important to put natural ingrediants on your skin rather than chemically moisturisers as your skin absorbs about 60% of what you put on it!

Hope that helped!

Old 07-26-2006, 03:04 PM   #15
(female)

wannadance HB User
Talking Re: How do you prevent oily skin/shine?

sorry, this is OT

i love your ID, plasmodium....in all my years online, never seen that one!!!

Closed Thread