It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2006, 08:50 AM   #1
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Columbia, South Carolina USA
Posts: 140
Shimz HB User
Question Glycolic Acid 30% ph 2.6

I bought 30% glycolic acid just the acid itself. i don't know if it is safe for me to do it myself at home from what I have read from the purchaser it is.Is this a high concentration ph is 2.6. Kind of hesistant to try it not sure. From what i have read its not that high who knows. Then again i have a tough face i believe

comments welcome

 
Old 07-07-2006, 07:36 PM   #2
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Columbia, South Carolina USA
Posts: 140
Shimz HB User
Re: Glycolic Acid 30% ph 2.6

ok my 10% cream isnt doing much it says "Only use if you have used our 5% first" I put it on my face no stinging or tingling or anything just normal. I guess its the cream I did buy that 30% pure glycolic solution so i really tempted to test it and not leave it on for long. What do you think a little test on zit on my chin or something?

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 07-07-2006, 08:34 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 377
mellowfish HB User
Re: Glycolic Acid 30% ph 2.6

The pH of your glycolic acid cream will have a lot to do with how effective it is, and also how likely you are to suffer from stinging/redness reactions afterwards. The lower the pH (more acidic) will allow more of the lotion to penetrare deeper into your skin. The drawback to high acidity is that it is very irritating to the skin.

Is this a type os a peel, or just a maintenance product? It sounds pretty harsh at 30% glycolic acid/2.6 pH. Even if a product contains 10% glycolic acid, it will not sting or penetrate very well unless the pH is low enough, which could be the case with your other cream.

Regardless of how tough your face is, I strongly urge you to exercise caution with this product. That being said, if you happen to try it, let us know the results, I would love to find a great AHA product.

 
Old 07-08-2006, 08:20 AM   #4
Inactive
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: New York
Posts: 1,449
peregrine HB User
Re: Glycolic Acid 30% ph 2.6

With glycolic acid products you should start low and build up. Start with a 10% or15% ingredient and use for 4 to 6 months. Then you can go to 20% and, eventually, 30%.

 
Old 07-08-2006, 09:22 AM   #5
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Columbia, South Carolina USA
Posts: 140
Shimz HB User
Re: Glycolic Acid 30% ph 2.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellowfish
The pH of your glycolic acid cream will have a lot to do with how effective it is, and also how likely you are to suffer from stinging/redness reactions afterwards. The lower the pH (more acidic) will allow more of the lotion to penetrare deeper into your skin. The drawback to high acidity is that it is very irritating to the skin.

Is this a type os a peel, or just a maintenance product? It sounds pretty harsh at 30% glycolic acid/2.6 pH. Even if a product contains 10% glycolic acid, it will not sting or penetrate very well unless the pH is low enough, which could be the case with your other cream.

Regardless of how tough your face is, I strongly urge you to exercise caution with this product. That being said, if you happen to try it, let us know the results, I would love to find a great AHA product.
I bought it on ebay I am kind of scared to try it but they had 50% one and 70% one to of course it said do not buy 70% unless you are a specialist etc. In any case i bought the 30% it is just liquid in a bottle you have to use backing soda after to neutralize it. I might wait until my friend looks at it and sees if it will be ok i dont know.

 
Old 07-08-2006, 10:21 AM   #6
Inactive
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: New York
Posts: 1,449
peregrine HB User
Re: Glycolic Acid 30% ph 2.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellowfish
Regardless of how tough your face is, I strongly urge you to exercise caution with this product. That being said, if you happen to try it, let us know the results, I would love to find a great AHA product.
MD Forte facial lotion III contains 30% glycolic with a bunch of other good ingredients. I very much like the whole MD Forte line.

 
Old 07-09-2006, 06:59 PM   #7
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Indiana
Posts: 34
indy_gal HB User
Re: Glycolic Acid 30% ph 2.6

I also use MD Forte products (cleanser and lotion). I started with their 10% lotion and used for 5 months, and now I'm on their 20% lotion level. I cannot imagine anybody jumping right into a 30% level unless their skin is used to harsh chemical peels. I would also be very hesitant to use a non name-brand product purchased on e-bay.

Be careful.

 
Old 07-10-2006, 02:32 AM   #8
Inactive
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: New York
Posts: 1,449
peregrine HB User
Re: Glycolic Acid 30% ph 2.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_gal
I also use MD Forte products (cleanser and lotion). I started with their 10% lotion and used for 5 months, and now I'm on their 20% lotion level. I cannot imagine anybody jumping right into a 30% level unless their skin is used to harsh chemical peels. I would also be very hesitant to use a non name-brand product purchased on e-bay.

Be careful.

I agree!

 
Old 07-12-2006, 11:54 AM   #9
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 208
jimmielegs HB User
Re: Glycolic Acid 30% ph 2.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimz
I bought it on ebay I am kind of scared to try it but they had 50% one and 70% one to of course it said do not buy 70% unless you are a specialist etc. In any case i bought the 30% it is just liquid in a bottle you have to use backing soda after to neutralize it. I might wait until my friend looks at it and sees if it will be ok i dont know.
Shimz, is this product by NeoStrata and is it liquid?

If so, it is probably what is used in a derm doc's office. I've had it done there. Be careful!!! 5 MINUTES ONLY.

Cleanse your face
Apply the liquid with cotton ball or very large (medical grade) q-tip
Leave on FIVE minutes (time yourself)
During the five minutes, keep looking at your face. Skin will turn red and that's ok. On a scale of 1-5 burning sensation, 3 is ok; 4 keep careful watch; 5 neutralize.

To neutralize, use a baking soda/water solution. Then rinse, rinse, rinse - making sure you don't leave anything in folds of skin.

BE CAREFUL.

 
Old 07-17-2006, 09:29 PM   #10
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Columbia, South Carolina USA
Posts: 140
Shimz HB User
Re: Glycolic Acid 30% ph 2.6

I had the gutts and used my glycolic acid 30% yes it is very strong and you must be very careful and wash it out 3-5 minutes. If it went in my eye I am sure i would go blind so that is the risk. Only thing it works well start the peeling formation. I dont put it much on my forehead in fear that it could drip also i dont put it all runny either very lightly. I dont recommend it to anyone because its a risk you take. I am taking that risk.

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Glycolic Acid 30% shyboy14 Acne 9 07-07-2006 07:33 PM
glycolic acid products / pefrect skin ones any good? beatboxkid Acne 6 07-07-2006 06:10 PM
glycolic acid cleanser kittikat Acne 4 05-31-2005 09:02 AM
Glycolic Acid atti Acne 7 01-14-2005 05:21 PM
Avon's Glycolic Acid Peel StacyVictor Acne 1 07-19-2004 02:35 PM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added




Top 10 Drugs Discussed on this Board.
(Go to DrugTalk.com for complete list)
Accutane
Aspirin
Benzoyl
Botox
Differin
  Hydrocortisone
Nizoral Prenatal
Renova
Retin-a




TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



Bran'sNana (4), MSNik (2), esker (2), coley1121 (2), Stoler99 (2), Red roses (1), Phoebekinz (1), KodakLindz (1), MelissaAnn (1), Oblio (1)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1180), MSJayhawk (1013), Apollo123 (910), Titchou (859), janewhite1 (823), Gabriel (763), ladybud (755), midwest1 (671), sammy64 (668), BlueSkies14 (607)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:48 AM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!