It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2006, 10:24 PM   #1
(female)

stang90 HB User
Discoloration on upper lip??

Ok ladies, I need ur help!! I have a rather embarassing situation. In the last month, I've noticed a dark discoloration that is on my upper lip. It looks like I have a five o'clock shadow on my lip. I would understand if maybe I dark colored hair. But I have light blonde hair, and I have never had this problem before. Make-up won't even cover it up, that is the most frustrating part. Does anybody out there know what causes this or what will make it go away. Please help me! Thank you if you can.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: stang90
jennyjay (02-22-2011), tamilynn26 (08-21-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2006, 05:12 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

daisy-duke77 HB User
Re: Discoloration on upper lip??

I HAVE THE SAME THING! I was wondering too??? Im also blonde and it's not hair..................i still get it waxed. I have no clue to what this is. It looks like i have a mustache......YUK!

The Following User Says Thank You to daisy-duke77 For This Useful Post:
1sharonsamra (04-12-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2006, 07:50 AM   #3
(female)

Skoobi HB User

It might be called Melasma. It is a discoloration of the skin due to hormones. Some call it the mask of pregnancy, but it can start at any time.

I use a skin bleaching cream called Nadinola. It has 3% hydroquinone instead of the 2% most brands have. It can take awhile for it to got away. Tanning will bring it right back. And make it darker.

Old 07-26-2006, 10:00 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

If you're on birth control or hrt and out in the sun, tanning beds or tanning lotions....it'll cause it to come out. I think women have the tendency for it to happen just because of hormones.

Old 07-26-2006, 11:29 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

MoonLight0 HB User

I've read somewhere that birth control causes that...
Weird thing about that, though, is that I have the opposite... I have lighter skin above my upper lip, it's much whiter than the rest of my face, and the lightness of the skin makes that part of my face appear puffy and weird. I hate it but I don't think there's much I can do.
I thought about skin lightening creams, but that would just make it worse since it IS light enough as it is... But the skin around my nose, just above that light area is a bit darker (or maybe it just appears that way now).
I hate it but apparently there's not much you can do. Tanning defeinitely makes it worse (I've tried that).
I guess even after you stop using birth control it still doesn't go away.

Last edited by MoonLight0; 07-26-2006 at 11:30 AM.

Old 07-26-2006, 02:02 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

daisy-duke77 HB User

I thought tanning had something to do with it. Im not on any hormonal BC. I bet it is tanning and hormone's. Im scared to bleach it..............i have very sensitive skin.

Old 07-26-2006, 04:49 PM   #7
(female)

stang90 HB User

Wow thanks for all of the help. I did notice that it appeared after I got a really bad sunburn on my face, so i figured that the sun will worsen it. I will try that Nadinola cream that you mention. Thanks! Keep the info coming if you have it!

Old 08-07-2006, 01:28 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

katidid95 HB User

If you wax (which I do) you MUST wear sun block for a few days after (or just avoid sun) or it can make your skin dark there. The skin is especially sensitive right after waxing. I actually learned this from a friend who had her upper lip waxed on a Friday, then was in the sun on Sat. without enough (or any) sun block and got a little shadow. It did eventually fade.

For MoonLight: If you wear foundation, can you buy one 1-2 shades darker just to wear there?

Old 08-08-2006, 05:04 AM   #9
(female)

Texanne HB User

I have it too! Also on my jawline. I've tried everything, and I use sunblock religiously, but you know sometimes you walk outside to check the mail, then ya pick a weed, then ya weed the whole flower bed, then ya realize you've been outside in the sun for an hour with no sunblock. It is definitely hormonal, and I'm trying to research some of the alternative methods for balancing the hormones. I think it is somewhat age related. I find that using a shade darker foundation works best. I've tried Bare Escentuals, Dermablend, Estee Lauder Double Wear, any and all the heavy coverage, long-wearing makeups, and the best result I'm having right now is CoverGirl AquaSmooth in a color that is like my skin tone, but a darker shade. Also, this sounds funny but it works: I shave my upper lip because waxing irritates my face too. If you have baby fine, blonde hair on your face, it doesn't leave stubble, and your make-up won't hang up on the hairs, adding to the shadow effect!

Old 04-17-2007, 04:08 PM   #10
(female)

mcd1971 HB User

I have the same thing. My aesthetician said it was hormonal and probably caused by birth control. She did microderm on me and started me on a skin care regime. I started only a few days ago. I'll let you know what happens. Her receptionist seemed to have the same thing and notice a difference with her product.

Old 05-03-2007, 11:31 AM   #11
(female)

Fashionista123 HB User

Hi!

i seem to have this same problem.

My upper lip where I have waxed before is a different shade than the rest of my face. It seems to be a lighter shade than the rest of skin. It looks different in different lights and etc. Also, when it is really hot it it makes it worse.

I am so stressed out over this and have tried so many different types of makeup and skin creams to get rid of the problem, but nothing works.

Do any of you have any suggestions? I really appreciate it. How is it working out fo ryou girls?

thank you. C.

Old 05-03-2007, 11:42 AM   #12
(female)

mcd1971 HB User

I've been using Obagi Nu-Derm with Retin A and it has cleared up my discoloration. It was caused by birth control. = (
I still have to use Retin A a few more weeks, but the Obagi will become a daily routine. I'm so happy that my face is returning to normal.

Old 05-03-2007, 02:22 PM   #13
(female)

Fashionista123 HB User

is this only possible form birth control? I am not on it!

Old 05-03-2007, 02:41 PM   #14
(female)

mcd1971 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fashionista123 View Post
is this only possible form birth control? I am not on it!
My aesthetician said that it's from a hormones. = (

The Obagi worked for me. The Obagi and the Retin A. I suggest it.

Last edited by moderator2; 05-03-2007 at 03:55 PM. Reason: posted commercial website

Old 05-03-2007, 03:43 PM   #15
(female)

Fashionista123 HB User

thank you-I will look in to that!

Closed Thread