It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2006, 10:50 AM   #1
(female)

seabell HB Userseabell HB Userseabell HB User
Smile Bare Essencentual Mineral Makeup Vs. other brands

Hi All! If anyone remembers my other posts, you'll know that I am a huge BE mineral makeup fan. There is nothing like it, I believe(d), in providing such a flawless complexion, so quickly. I always get such great compliments on my skin when I wear it.

I picked up the mineral makeup that Leeza Gibons (don't remember the name) advertises and hated it. I thought it went on easy enough, but didn't last at all. If I put more on, I looked cakey. I did, however, love the concealer. That works really well in hiding acne or the red blotchies we all get.

Last week I was in a local store that was having a special on Physician's Formula Mineral Makeup. Now, I admit, I'm a makeup freak, love to buy and try all kinds. And this little compact came with free eyeshadow... can't beat that! LOL

Bought it, took it home, stuck it in my drawer. The next day, I was applying my makeup and remembered the eyeshadow, so I opened the package and played with the eyeshadow, which I loved. Tried the mineral foundation the next day, and WOW , I was hooked. Using my kabuki brush from my bare escentuals makeup, I applied it (it does come with its own brush which is hidden on the other side of the compact). Perfect coverage... pores and all. And you don't need mineral veil for that air brushed look. Lasted all day too. I went out today and bought blush.

SB

p.s. A good application trick for this makeup to cover blemishes... dab a makeup sponge in the powder (the powder is not loose in the compact, but is very soft) and then dab on blemish. Instant coverage.

The Following User Says Thank You to seabell For This Useful Post:
Dreamsicle (02-18-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2006, 10:57 AM   #2
(female)

Iadinae HB User
Re: Bare Essencentual Mineral Makeup Vs. other brands

I bought this and am loving it as well. I always look natural, yet it covers the red marks perfectly.

Old 08-16-2006, 01:31 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User

same here. makes your skin look flawless. tried a couple of the others and din't like them at all. especially neutrogen and leeza gibbons.

Old 08-17-2006, 10:01 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

charliecat31 HB User

I too am a fan of Physician's Formula's mineral foundation! I bought it because it was on sale at CVS a few months ago and gave it a try and love it! Doesn't settle into fine lines or enlarged pores.

Revlon has a new mineral foundation too that I really like. It's more of a matte finish than any of the others I've tried.

Old 08-17-2006, 07:32 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

MoonLight0 HB User

I wear make up religiously and am soooo sick of the foundations. They're way too heavy, so I'm definitely intrigued by this mineral make up.

I just visited the [removed] and noticed that they have a whole bunch of different Mineral Wear makeup.
Which one is the best?
I noticed that they have a foundation, as well as the pressed and loose powder. Which one is most effective at covering up and not clogging pores?
My pores get clogged sooo easily, and I'm tired of having to exfoliate almost every single night.

Oh, and where can you get this stuff? Is it available at Walmart?

Thanks!

Last edited by mod-anon; 09-17-2006 at 09:31 PM. Reason: Product names are allowed. Websites are not.

Old 08-18-2006, 07:01 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

I've seen Physicians Formula at Walmart, some grocery stores, and drugstores! I bought the pressed powder kind (the one mentioned with the brush hidden in the compact near the mirror). I also used a different makeup brush and really liked the stuff. My mom got the loose powder but it was way too dark for her and LOOKED like the right color. So just be careful choosing the right color for the loose powder!

I really like Loreal's mineral makeup and Mineral Basics is pretty good too. I use Mineral Basics bronzer and blush all the time. I sometimes just use the powder foundation to touch up during the day and do a very light dusting over it.

There is ONE foundation that I really like that isn't mineral... Covergirl Aquasmooth. I just love the creamy texture and how it covers everything well and isn't too thick and gross feeling. Plus, I like the cream compacts better than liquid foundations. If I want a really flawless look I will apply Aquasmooth and then dust a little bit of mineral makeup over it. My skin looks amazing after doing this and isn't cakey since I only use a little bit of each.

If you are looking for a very natural, non-shimmery bronzer, you should try Mineral Basics Perfect Tan. I got mine on eBay. I like it b/c you can use a good amount without looking like a clown and can dust it all over. It's kind of like using a powder just a couple shades darker than your skin. I got a set of makeup for "medium" skin even though I'm probably more in between light/medium and it is all pretty great. Perfect Tan might not work if you have darker skin or not show up very well.

Old 08-18-2006, 10:45 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

MoonLight0 HB User

I checked out the [removed] website and I think I'm gonna try the loose powder. It's the cheapest... so I don't wanna spend too much on something I'm just trying out.
I've never tried mineral make up but a lot of beauty websites talk about how wonderful it is, so I wanna try it. Plus I tend to sleep over at my boyfriend's house on the weekends, and I usually forget to wash my face at night, so I end up sleeping with my make up on and waking up feeling nasty and clogged in the morning.
Apparently you can actually sleep with mineral make up on and it lasts longer, so I'm definitely gonna go out and look for it today... I'm sure they'll have it at one of the drug stores, or Walmart.
I'm also really pale and I did notice that they have a really light loose powder so I'm definitely gonna buy that one.

I wanted to try L'Oreal mineral make up once but every time I go to the store they're all out, or all they have left are really dark shades, and that definitely wouldn't work for me.

I'm excited for Physician's Formula though. Thanks!

Last edited by mod-anon; 09-17-2006 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Product names are allowed. Websites are not.

Old 08-18-2006, 11:37 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

Good luck!! I'm sure a lighter shade would work well. I've slept with my mineral makeup on and it's always been fine and I never break out from it. I try to always wash it off though b/c I got my nose pierced this summer and it gets irritated when I don't wash my face.

Let us know how the loose powder works out!

Old 08-18-2006, 12:23 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bell99 HB User

I have the mineral loose powder in transulent light.
I use Loreal Infallible under it LOVE the stuff. It looks so natural and stays put all day.
I didn't care for the Loreal stuff it made my eyes itch and my skin looked so dry even with mosterizer.

Old 08-19-2006, 11:21 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

MoonLight0 HB User

I wear make up religiously and am soooo sick of the foundations. They're way too heavy, so I'm definitely intrigued by this mineral make up.

I just visited the Phyisican's Formula website and noticed that they have a whole bunch of different Mineral Wear makeup.
Which one is the best?
I noticed that they have a foundation, as well as the pressed and loose powder. Which one is most effective at covering up and not clogging pores?
My pores get clogged sooo easily, and I'm tired of having to exfoliate almost every single night.

Oh, and where can you get this stuff? Is it available at Walmart?

Thanks!

Last edited by mod-anon; 09-17-2006 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Product names are allowed. Websites are not.

Old 08-19-2006, 11:58 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

charliecat31 HB User

I use mineral foundations and this is what I do - Start with a clean face, then apply whatever moisturizers and eyecream I use. Then apply a primer and then the mineral foundation. This works best for me with the pressed powder or loose powder types.

I think any foundation goes on better if you use a primer. The best one I've found is the least expensive and you can get it just about anywhere. It's going to sound weird, but it's Monistat Chafing Relief Powder/Gel. You can find it over by the other Monistat products or by the Vagisil area of CVS, Wal Mart, Target, Walgreens, etc.. It's less than $7 and contains most of the same ingredients in some of the most expensive primers. It's a silcone base and is meant to be used for chafing (if your legs rub together, etc.). Plus I've found another great use for it, especially this time of year. You know when you wear sandles and they slap up against your foot when you step? I hate this and one day put a little bit of the Monistat stuff on the heel of my foot and the problem was solved. Just don't put it all over the bottom of your foot or you'll slide right out of you shoes!

Hope this helps you out!

Old 08-19-2006, 01:22 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User

I absolutely love the Bare Essentuals mineral makeup! Especially the Clear Radiance mineral powder. I have lupus and my cheeks and nose areas are red alot plus I have other chronic pain & problems sleeping, etc...all which make my face and skin look awful. I had a week off from work and saw this on special on tv and decided to try it. When I rec'd it and used this clear radiance I could not believe how well I thought my skin looked and with such a tiny amount! I use only this on my face plus a tiny bit of blush over it and I'm done in 2 minutes. Since I couldnt be too sure of the lighting in my home mirror, the real test was to see if anyone else noticed. Well, sure enough, when I went back to work, every single one of my co-workers told me my skin looked great and I looked very well rested finally. They always see how bad I am or how much pain I'm in by my face and how ragged it looks <LOL> but I notice that as well. It is the first time I constantly get compliments on how much better my facial skin looks...it even seems to cover up my redness very well. I cant get enough of it and will purchase this as long as it's on the market and it's actually <as dumb as it may sound> a little thing that ups my mood each morning!!!

Old 08-19-2006, 01:29 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

MoonLight0 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliecat31
I use mineral foundations and this is what I do - Start with a clean face, then apply whatever moisturizers and eyecream I use. Then apply a primer and then the mineral foundation. This works best for me with the pressed powder or loose powder types.

I think any foundation goes on better if you use a primer. The best one I've found is the least expensive and you can get it just about anywhere. It's going to sound weird, but it's Monistat Chafing Relief Powder/Gel. You can find it over by the other Monistat products or by the Vagisil area of CVS, Wal Mart, Target, Walgreens, etc.. It's less than $7 and contains most of the same ingredients in some of the most expensive primers. It's a silcone base and is meant to be used for chafing (if your legs rub together, etc.). Plus I've found another great use for it, especially this time of year. You know when you wear sandles and they slap up against your foot when you step? I hate this and one day put a little bit of the Monistat stuff on the heel of my foot and the problem was solved. Just don't put it all over the bottom of your foot or you'll slide right out of you shoes!

Hope this helps you out!
Thanks for the tips. That definitely helps. I'll try that. I hate using regular foundations... they've become way too heavy and honestly they don't cover that well.
Plus I fall asleep with my make up on frequently on the weekends so this mineral stuff I just bought should help.

Thanks again.

Old 08-19-2006, 02:53 PM   #14
(female)

seabell HB Userseabell HB Userseabell HB User

I have tried a ton of different moisturizers and always go back to Nivea in the blue tub. Summer and Winter... morning and night. I put on Nivea in the morning after I wash my face, then when I'm ready for my makeup, most of it has been absorbed into my skin.

When applying powder mineral makeup, the key is to use a small amount and buff buff buff it into your skin. It does make those little peach fuzzy hairs a bit more noticeable, but you can get around that by 'blotting' your face with a makeup sponge afterwards, or by spritzing your face with a fine mist of water.

For red spots or blemishes or undereye circles, I find that dabbing my fingertip in the makeup and applying it to the spot/area before brushing on the makeup on the rest of my face works great.

SB

Old 08-19-2006, 04:53 PM   #15
Inactive
(female)

MoonLight0 HB User

Thanks for the water tip. I'm definitely going to try that since I hate it when my face looks powdery... I want my make up to look natural.
That's definitely a good one.

Closed Thread