It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2006, 05:12 AM   #1
(female)

asti HB User
Drug Store brands versus Name brands?

Is there any benefit to buying the name brand product when there is a drug store "generic" type of product? I'm thinking specifically of the facial creams and serums.

Old 08-24-2006, 06:31 AM   #2
(female)

Iadinae HB User
Re: Drug Store brands versus Name brands?

When buying any product you should be looking at the concentration of beneficial ingredients compared to the fillers. Some of the cheaper/no name brands may use fillers that are irritating to the skin.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2006, 08:06 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

keepsgoin HB User

I've seldom ever been pleased with an expensive department store product and always end up going back to the cheapy drug store/walmart purchased stuff. The only thing expensive that I buy and is my HG product is Merle Norman's translucent loose powder. I used to work at a department store and believe you me, I tried and bought a lot of it and wasted a lot of money doing so. I have yet to find an expensive salon hair product that I'm impressed with either.

Last edited by keepsgoin; 08-24-2006 at 08:07 AM.

Old 08-24-2006, 08:18 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

BluEyez1031 HB User

When it comes to face creams and serums, it is DEFINITELY worth paying more money for the high end products, because they tend to actually do what they claim to do (with exceptions, such is the case with any products).
For example, I spent a ton of money over a course of years on drugstore products to diminish redness and make my pores less noticeable, etc. Over the summer I worked at an Estee Lauder and Lancome counter. Since I was right next to Elizabeth Arden, I tried one of their serums- Overnight Success. Within 2 days I could tell that the product was working better than anything I'd ever tried. Sure, I spent $45 on it....but that's less than I'd spent on all of the "cheap-o" products put together.
Another nice thing about department store products is that you have a consultant to help you choose what's right for your skin, and they will let you sample the product before you buy it.

Old 08-25-2006, 06:25 PM   #5
(female)

asti HB User

Thanks for your responses, you've given me a some great tips on what to look for and compare.

Old 08-27-2006, 05:39 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

keepsgoin HB User

I'm surprised there wasn't more action in this thread...I was looking forward to all kindsa suggestions. I know many people that swear by Clinique but my experience was that I was soooo allergic to their eyeshadow when I used it long years back that I had red eyes for a month and haven't been able to use but a small hand full of eyeshadows since because after that happened, my eyes have become hypersensitive to everything

Last edited by keepsgoin; 08-27-2006 at 05:40 AM.

Old 08-28-2006, 12:14 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

BluEyez1031 HB User

That sucks! But yeah, different people react differently to products, so it's always best to try something before you actually buy it. As for Clinique, I do NOT like their skincare or makeup products, but that's just me.

Old 09-01-2006, 01:56 PM   #8
(female)

daisy51 HB User

it depends....def compare the ingredients. if the drugstore one has basically the same ingredients, i'd buy the cheaper brand. for example the cetaphil cleanser cvs version works just the same as the brand name kind.

as for cosmetics, i do notice that dept store brands and high-end brands work better, last longer, look nicer....so the extra $$ is worth it. eyeshadows especially, b/c the cheap ones tend to wear off or crease quickly. also it's worth it to spend money on a nice foundation too, prescriptives makes a great one.

Old 09-02-2006, 06:07 AM   #9
(female)

peckhouser HB User

After 20 years of buying everything under the sun,I have found that you are better off in the long run spending a little extra money on the dept. store brands.I have forked out alot of money trying various drug store products only to have them not work and have to toss them out or give them to my friends and family...not so with the more costly products...they usually work...at least in my case.

Old 09-02-2006, 03:46 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

MoonLight0 HB User

I don't know about all that... but I've heard make up experts (who work with celebrities) say that brands you buy at the drug store work relatively the same as the expensive stuff. I highly doubt that they'd lie about it so you spend less... they'd want you to spend more.

Old 09-02-2006, 04:49 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

I think it all depends on the individual product. Overally I like buying the middle-cost items best (like the more expensive things at drugstores or cheaper items at department stores). I will buy generic store brand things for hand soap and things like that, but certain products I want something a little nicer.

For my face wash and moisturizer, I just use Clean & Clear. It's an inexpensive brand but it's worked well for me. I don't have any serious skin issues so it works fine. Maybe if you had a lot of acne or wrinkles or very sensitive skin, then you would want to try something else.

I have bought those $1 eyeshadows and I never like them. Some of them are too sheer to even notice and some crease very easily. I really like any kind of loose powder eyeshadow with a little shimmer in it (the mica makes it not crease). I have a Bare Minerals one and a Loreal one and they both work about the same to me. A lot of the pressed eyeshadows I have used vary.. some are softer when they cost more, but besides that I didn't see any huge difference. Sometimes the colors are better at a department store, and PLUS you can try them.

Mascara I always buy a cheaper brand. I LOVE the new kind I got from Rimmel. It's a lengthening one with lycra in it. I use like 3 coats and my lashes look at least double their length and could probably pass for false lashes (without looking scary). Some cheap brands don't do as much for you and some clump, but some are great! You just have to try them. Maybelline has several good ones too. All of the department store brands I have tried (Dior Show, Benefit Bad Gal Lash, and several more) looked the same as my favorite drugstore brands. And my $5 eyelash curler is amazing.

Foundation and powder can be good to spend more on sometimes. A lot of the really cheap brands (NYC and Wet N Wild) are always out of the colors and some look weird tinted. I really like Covergirl Aquasmooth though and I use mineral powder over it. I haven't found a liquid foundation I really like.. but I do think the expensive ones usually work better for me.

I buy cheap eyeliner.. because I always LOSE it! I just buy a Kohl one so it's soft. It's a pain to sharpen it, but some of the automatic ones don't come out as soft and some of the non-Kohl pencils can be scratchy or not come out as nicely. I also have the Rimmel Kohl eyeliner and like it a lot (cheap too!). I've heard good things about MAC eyeliner but I figure why spend more if I find a good product for cheap.

For blush I have this one Benefit kind that I spend $18 on.. and it's totally worth it to me. The reason why is that it's a sheer lilac color (doesn't come out purple though) and it's beautiful. I can't find any drugstore brand that even carries that color. I have found blush that I liked fine in a drugstore, but I love this color that Benefit has!

Lipsticks.. I only use one kind! Maybelline Wet Shine.. it's very smooth and I just love it. I have a couple of colors I have and I have several stocked up of each. I wear different lipglosses too. I have a few kinds from Sephora that I really liked too. I just don't like to spend over $20 on them b/c sometimes they can get lost. Some cheap brands can be really sticky or gross feeling and I hate that. I like how Sephora has them out for you to try first. Cargo lipglosses are really smooth and they have great colors!

OK that was really long... but I think it all varies and you have to see what works for you skin and your features. I have some friends who swear by Chanel and spend hundreds on their makeup. I guess I vary.. I'll spend more on a certain product and less on others. I think it's good to spend less on "fun" extra products like colorful eyeliners and stuff unless you are going to wear it often or you just LOVE the product. Foundations/powders/concealers are harder to find (the right shade, one that works for your skin) so I'd say those are worth spending more on!

Old 09-02-2006, 06:56 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

MoonLight0 HB User

I totally agree with you. The more expensive products at drug stores work just fine. There is absolutely no need to go out and buy something outrageously expensive if the cheaper stuff works the same.

I also use Clean&Clear products for my face because they're cheap and they work just fine.
I can usually easily find a good cheaper foundation (Loreal Ideal Balance is awesome)... but I don't use that anymore since Physician's Formula mineral wear is like the best. I'm so glad I decided to try it. And it's pretty cheap for something that works so well.

I also LOVE the Rimmel Kohl eyeliner... it's really soft which is what I need since every other time I've bought a sharpening eyeliner it ended up being way too hard so I couldn't apply it. That is like the best one out there aside from Maybelline Line Stylist since that one is sooo thin you can control where you want it really well. [I don't know how much it costs though since I got it for free.]
But yea, the Rimmel Kohl one is definitely awesome and it's like $0.97.

Thanks for the mascara tip though. I haven't tried Rimmel mascaras but I definitely will now. That sounds like a good one.

Closed Thread