It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2006, 05:42 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

keepsgoin HB User
My hair tangles sooooo bad!!!!!!!!!

I have very fine, kinda long hair...the only thing that I've used on it that could damage it is sun in and I haven't used it in a long time so it's just about virgin hair. The problem is that after I shampoo, it's as if it's very damaged and wads up like damaged hair does. If I didn't use conditioner, there would be no way I could possibly comb it out. My hair has pretty much always been like this, a little worse the longer it gets. I seldom ever use a curling iron and the only styling that's done is with a round brush and blow dryer. What I need is a recommendation for a conditioner that detangles very well. I am using Pantene but it seems like the more they improve it, the worse it gets to the point that it doesn't detangle anywhere near like it used to do. Boohoo!!!!! I keep trying others but they are only worse. Infusium works OK but I don't like the way it sticks together when I blow dry. Anyone have any recs. for a good conditioner? Does anyone have this crummy fine tangly hair like me? My hair is thick but it's sooooooo fine in texture. Lately, I've tried that Garnier product...crappy...I've bought L'Oreal professional from the beauty supply...crappy...I've used Biolage....crappy....I'm getting tired of wasting money on stuff that doesn't detangle...guuuuuuurrrrr!!!!!!!!

Old 09-08-2006, 09:16 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

caliente HB User
Re: My hair tangles sooooo bad!!!!!!!!!

a few things that might help your situation:

if your hair has grown out to a fairly long length, go to a salon and cut off all the hair that the sun-in was used on. sun-in is extremely drying and damaging to hair. its very harsh.

then, throw out the pantene. it is loaded with silicones that do nothing but coat your hair. your hair may feel great when first using it, but after a while those silicones build up so much that your hair feels very dry and brittle, and will eventually break off. right now there is probably so much silicone coating your hair that the hair shaft is rough, so then your hair sticks together and tangles. (as a general rule, i stay away from pantene and garnier as they are full of silicones)

the next time you shampoo your hair, use a really good CLARIFYING shampoo. this will completely strip the silicone out of your hair. after using a clarifying shampoo, you'll want to use a good deep conditioner. if you use silicones on a regular basis, you'll want to use the clarifying shampoo at least once a month, but no more than once a week. it can be too stripping and drying.

if your hair tangles a lot when wet, try putting your conditioner on your hair, letting it sit for a few minutes, then using a wide tooth comb to work the tangles out while you still have the conditioner in your hair. tangles tend to slip out easier when coated with a thick conditioner.

you could also use a leave-in conditioner or detangling spray after washing your hair. my daughter has very long, fine hair that naturally tangles easily, and i use the suave detangling spray on her hair. it makes it a lot easier to comb through.

hope this helps a little bit. good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2006, 09:38 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

I totally agree with caliente! My hair is also very thick but fine (I get it thinned out ALL the time). My hair was feeling kind of dryish but it wasn't damaged at all and it got tangled easily.. the salon used a really great clarifying shampoo and it was amazing! My hair felt incredible and it was so silky and didn't tangle much at all. Unfortunately right now it's REALLY a little dry from bleaching it earlier this year. I actually do know a girl who used Sun-In and she said it ruined her hair. It took FOREVER to grow completely out.. so even if it's at the ends, that could definitely be the case. I would definitely look into a detangler spray or leave in conditioner.. both help quite a bit! Also, when using conditioner in the shower, comb it THEN and then rinse very carefully and don't rub your hair when you dry it. Blot it gently and the tangles should stay out. I actually never even comb my hair.. I let it dry and then brush it and flat iron it.

Good luck!

Old 09-08-2006, 10:26 AM   #4
(female)

karenb75 HB User

I had the same problem with my hair. I'm not one to spend alot of money on products from the salon so I have tried numerous shampoos and conditioners. The one that works really well for me is TreSeme (sp?). It's cheap but I've been using it for a long time and my hair is very healthy. Tangles are not an issue for me any more. Just my 2 cents. HTH Good luck!

Old 09-09-2006, 09:27 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

keepsgoin HB User

Actually I was hoping for product recommendations...I fully plan to eliminate Pantene(that's why I'm asking for recommendations) and I have no plans to cut all my hair off It's just that I keep trying new products and nothing detangles...some products actually make my hair feel more matty when I apply them. Actually it doesn't matter if my hair has sun in or if it's virgin, it's always matty. It's just a little worse with sun in.

I believe that I tried Tresseme several years ago but I didn't like it...is there a certain variety of Tresseme that's the best? I know that with all brands, they have many different varieties.

Old 09-09-2006, 09:56 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

caliente HB User

just once, try a clarifying shampoo. it'll strip all the gunk off your hair and i bet your hair will feel totally different. its amazing what a difference it makes. product rec? my favorite is the VO5 kiwi and lime squeeze clarifying shampoo. its only a dollar and its better than any shampoo i've ever tried.

follow up with a good deep conditioner. my favorite is aussie 3 minute miracle deeeep.

just these two things will make a big difference, and they are cheap. after that, you could probably use any brand of shampoo or conditioner that you want and they'll work better than before (except the pantene). i would recommend what i am using, but i'm currently using a mismatched bunch of hair products (paves, loreal, suave and sunsilk). my mom always buys the "latest, greatest" products and decides she doesnt like them so she gives them to me.

Old 09-09-2006, 04:38 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

don'tlikecold HB User

Ooooh I know what you are going through! My hair tangled so bad that I had to cut off the nape of my neck hair because it was so knotted. I was also using Pantene and it took me several years before I knew that was making it worse.

I used nothing for a while but I spent every night in front of the TV combing out my hair. I was gentle but I still had to pull the tangles out. In the morning, I still had to comb it out again. I pulled it up at night with a scrunchie but it gave me headaches. I bought satin pillowcases and did everything I could think of except cutting it short. I'll never do that!

MY sister-n-law, who buys Christmas gifts by whatever catches her eye, bought me Redken Body Full products. This saved my life/hair! Use only the size of a quarter and rub it in. Wash your body and then rinse from your hair. I can use a comb without it pulling now. It doesn't flatten or cause more tangles. I haven't had a knot since last Christmas. I love this product and I hope it works for you.

Susan

Old 09-10-2006, 06:49 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

fusionqueen HB Userfusionqueen HB Userfusionqueen HB User

I would also suggest you clairify then reconditon!!! Joico make one called Resolve and a line K-Pack with a reconstuctor that is wonderful!!! I am not sure if you are saying your hair is tangled from damage or from being so fine.

One thing to rememeber is that ALL PROFESSIONAL PRODUCTS purchased at a SALON OR BEAUTY RETAILER(NOT Target ect) are returnable for a FULL REFUND if you do not like them..........just save your reciept and check the salon policy..........these products are not cheap so remember that next time you get something you dis-like.....take it back for a refund!! It even tell you that on most of the bottles.

Old 09-10-2006, 07:19 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

eve40 HB User

Hi Keepsgoing,
I use Paul Mitchell. I use "Shampoo One" and "The Conditioner". The conditioner makes combing out easy, it's light as a feather and makes my hair shine like it did when I was a child. I tried other stuff, last time I ran out, but this stuff is, hands down, the best I've ever used. It's a leave in. It's the only leave in I've ever been able to use, because like you, my hair is fine.

Last edited by eve40; 09-10-2006 at 07:21 AM.

Old 09-10-2006, 09:37 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

Have you ever tried Biosilk Silk Therapy serum? I use this product for MANY uses and just thought that it would be good for you to try. It smooths out my hair, protects it from heat styling, gets rid of any frizzies, and it definitely makes it silkier and keeps it from tangling. I have a small bottle and it lasts for a long time since you only need to use a tiny bit.

Old 09-11-2006, 06:09 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

keepsgoin HB User

Any more recs...this is giving me some options...thanks!

Some of these I have tried...Biosilk serum makes my hair stringy even using as small amount as humanly possible. I have used K Pak but it doesn't detangle much but is a good treatment though. I will certainly go buy that V05 stuff for a dollar!!!!!!!! Some other people have told me the Redken is really good too...I'm leaning toward trying that next. I'm able to buy wholesale from the beauty supply store so I'm up for professional recs for sure!

Old 09-11-2006, 06:35 PM   #12
(female)

Honey6288 HB User

I just watched Shopping Bags and in a blind test, Finesse was the best product. I'm going to try it though Redken has worked wonders for me.

Honey

Closed Thread