It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2006, 08:06 AM   #1
(female)

DayTrippin' HB User
Pictures?

This may be an odd question but here we go:

So I get compliments on how good I look all the time, and then when I look at SOME pictures- it's like I see some alien girl/monster : (

What's going on? Is this how I really look and don't realize it?

Is there really such thing as being unfotogenic or is the term used to just make us feel better?

Anyone else feel that way?

Old 10-25-2006, 09:46 AM   #2
(female)

PeytonP HB User
Re: Pictures?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayTrippin'
Anyone else feel that way?
All. the. time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2006, 04:40 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

keepsgoin HB User

I believe, and I don't know why this is, but there really are people that are not photogenic but are very pretty or handsome in real life. Nobody in my family...immediate that is...takes good pictures but we are all considered a pretty family. People are always commenting on one or the other of us being pretty or even beautiful. But our pictures STINK! Only when we have professionally taken pictures do they look good. Other people can take great pictures all the time. My BF takes horrible pictures...in fact, to me his pictures DO NOT even look like him...What!? did your evil twin step in for that picture honey? HEEHEE!!!! I don't get it but I hate having my picture taken!

Old 10-25-2006, 06:37 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Infinitum HB User

I am NOT photogenic at all, but am told otherwise in person. When I was living in NYC several years ago---I met with this girl who was interviewing potential roommates to rent a room she had in her apartment. When I met her, she was tall, thin, had long brunette hair, very light complected and had a pretty smile. She told me she was a model in NYC who was just getting started in her career. I even saw her portfolio---which was AMAZING. She was so gorgeous in her pictures, BUT in person, she was rather plain and mousey looking---and she had bad lower teeth. Walking down the street I would never pick her out of a crowd and guess that she's a model. Oh well.

So, you're OK. People who tend to use facial expressions alot like myself naturally---turn out horrible in pictures. My hubby on the otherhand always has a poker face no matter the situation----and his pictures always turn out great!!!

Old 10-26-2006, 07:23 AM   #5
(female)

DayTrippin' HB User

All these responses do make me feel better...

Thanks!

Old 10-26-2006, 07:34 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

keepsgoin HB User

I agree with what Infinitum said, I think it's the people that have lots of facial expression that take bad pictures. Like my brother who is very handsome is always making some dumb face in a picture...in life it doesn't look bad because it's in motion but when stopped by the snap of a button it looks silly. Then there's my BF that takes horrible pictures...he always looks like he's just seen a ghost but he uses lots of facial expressions when he talks.

Old 10-26-2006, 11:30 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

MoonLight0 HB User

I used to feel the same... but to be honest, the more pictures you take, the more you get used to it. I never liked pictures a couple of years ago, but than I got access to a good digital camera and started taking tons of pictures... now I don't mind it so much since I'm used to it and know which experessions to make in order to get a decent picture.

You just have to be used to it I guess.
Plus you probably look worse to yourself than you do to others. I know when I look at my pictures I overanalyze every single little detail that I hate about it... but when others look at those pictures they don't even notice those little details.

Old 10-27-2006, 02:04 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

I once watched a documentary on a group of girls who had been picked at random off the streets to become models. They only needed two and they would be magazine type models and not catwalk models.

The girls they chose at the end weren't all that good looking compared to the ones they had rejected, but apparently the lesser looking girls photographed a lot better. The better looking girls in real life didn't photograph as well in their opinion. I found this interesting.

As for me, i'm overly critical of myself and don't even see myself the way others do even when i see myself in the mirror let alone pictures.

Old 10-27-2006, 02:04 PM   #9
(female)

3heavenlybabies HB User

I rather look ugly in pictures and better in person then the other way around now thats sad.

Old 10-27-2006, 02:17 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

MoonLight0 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audrey-B
I once watched a documentary on a group of girls who had been picked at random off the streets to become models. They only needed two and they would be magazine type models and not catwalk models.

The girls they chose at the end weren't all that good looking compared to the ones they had rejected, but apparently the lesser looking girls photographed a lot better. The better looking girls in real life didn't photograph as well in their opinion. I found this interesting.

As for me, i'm overly critical of myself and don't even see myself the way others do even when i see myself in the mirror let alone pictures.
That's strangely true. I've seen a lot of not so great looking people who are supposedly models. I guess it depends on how their pictures turn out.

Everyone's critical of themselves... I feel the same way. I definitely don't see myself as others do.

Old 10-27-2006, 04:13 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

I find that whenever I get professional photos done I look horrible in them! I always look a lot heavier and my face looks puffy. Then my eyes look small and weird as well. I just hate professional pictures. There is only one type of place where mine come out nice.. those place that do the colorful background that are very inexpensive. They soften the pictures and they always come out flattering even when I'm not looking too well that day. I always go there!

It seems that with my $20 ******, I can get the best pictures. It's pretty strange! Most of the photos come out decent, but I'll be taking pictures with other people and usually they don't look so good. Every now and then, there's an okay one, but most of them look bad. I always hope that I don't look that way!

It seems to help to practice taking pictures at home when you are alone. I feel goofy taking random pictures of myself, but it can help me figure out a certain pose or smile that will look better and more flattering when I'm taking pictures later. I've also seen articles in magazines about how to take better pictures.. I'm sure there is something helpful about it online since I haven't seen a magazine with that in a long time.

I also know a lot of people who look better in their pictures than in real life. This is really mean, but a friend of mine (male) was not at all interested in a girl he thought he was interested in (an old high school friend he hadn't seen in years except for pictures online) and he said "She looked a lot better in her pictures." So I guess that proves that even guys can think this way!

Old 11-02-2006, 12:37 PM   #12
(female)

niarules HB User

I think the majority of us wish for better pictures.

I am totally happy with my looks and my body, but I only love pictures of me when they are taken by surprise of without me knowing. When someone says “smile” and tries to get me to pose, I look like a complete idiot… looks either goofy or fake
I do like the surprise ones.
My mom always takes great pictures, really; but then she actually like to pose. I just stand there feeling uncomfortable, lol.

Old 11-04-2006, 02:24 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

niarules, you are so right. I have found the surprise/spur of the moment photo's tend to be more natural and look better. When i have to stand and wait, that's when i end up looking awful.

Even worse is as you age and you look back 10 or more years and you see pictures you thought weren't too bad then, but now you think "oh my God, what was i thinking, that hair style, those clothes........" You want to put those photo albums away under lock and key so nobody can ever see them. The 80's were not always a good look!!

Closed Thread