It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2006, 12:10 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

MoonLight0 HB User
Salon vs Drug Store

Yet another hair issue, haha. I've posted about a million times it seems, but I have more questions that I want to discuss with people who use Salon products.

I've noticed that a lot of drug stores and supermarkets sell salon products such as Paul Mitchell, Nexxus, Redken, Matrix, etc.
I've also seen the Paul Mitchell commercials and just yesterday read an article about this... both state that salon products should only be bought at salons period. Apparently the stuff sold in drug stores and supermarkets could be fake or very old (up to two years old - strange). Apparently drug stores and salons sometimes make deals or whatever. So you never know whether or not a product is authentic or old.

I should assume that this is true, right?
I was thinking about trying Redken since their products get great reviews and sound promising (like almost all other salon products).
Should I bother going to a salon and buying it there? How different are salon prices in comparison to drug store?
I know that Target sells Redken shampoos for approxmiately $10 per bottle. Would it be the same at a salon?
I can't spend a fortune on things anymore since I'm so disappointed by my recent choices in haircare.

Also, is Redken really that great? Should I go for it or try to buy something cheaper... I've also heard good things about Infusium 23 but am not sure about it.

There are about a million products out there that I would like to try but have become unsure of because it seems that my hair hates everything these days. Also, I don't want to pile on product after product till my hair starts falling out or something.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-27-2006, 03:26 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

ILYF HB User
Re: Salon vs Drug Store

well the salon products that they are selling at Target now are the real thing...Target would not be able to get away with selling counterfit products. I think it's totally stupid that you have to buy a salon product in a salon and apparently some salon product companies have decided to do just that and sell in discount stores...it's certainly not cheap though at Target! Many companies that have salon products also have drug store products that they distribute. As far as are they better...I'm still on the fence about that answer. I've read so many reviews and people love Pantene...people HATE Pantene...People love Biolage...people HATE Biolage etc. I think it all depends on the person's hair. Apparently the "Pantene is horrible" campaign was started by hairdressers/salons that wanted clients to purchase THEIR products because everyone was buying Pantene. If you read reviews by that Paula B. lady, she has good things to say about salon products...some of them and good things to say about drug store products (some of them). My hair is very fine and tangles like crazy and I cannot find a conditioner that really detangles without making my ends feel dry...I have a license so I can buy products from the beauty supply house and I'm just not being impressed by anything I buy no matter how expensive it is?????????

Old 11-27-2006, 04:04 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

hillaryb HB User

I do think that Target sells perfectly fine salon products. I think the salons sell the products at a higher price and are using the whole "it's no good if you buy it somewhere else" to eliminate competition. I personally don't buy salon products. I read once the Paul Mitchell products were high quality and far better for your hair than drugstore products, went out and bought recommended shampoo and conditioner, and was not impressed. My hair was damaged at the time and I ended up using the Dove intensive treatment conditioner and it really helped. I also tried the Pantene Intensive Restoration treatment conditioner and I like that as well.

The thing with these conditioners to remember is that they contain alot of silicone products. Silicone on its own will not cause damage, but I have heard that with years of use of silicone products your hair can become damaged. The theory is that the silicone bonds to the cuticle and fills in weak spots, but eventually flakes off taking cuticle with it, causing hair breakage. The easy way to keep that from happening is to use a good clarifying shampoo every week or two. Or you can use an apple cider vinegar rinse. I do this and have no problems.

Old 11-27-2006, 04:53 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

eve40 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILYF
well the salon products that they are selling at Target now are the real thing...Target would not be able to get away with selling counterfit products.
Yea, I'm pretty sure I bought a bootlegged copy of Bladerunner there once. It didn't work and the cover looked different then the one I bought later from a different store. So, I wouldn't bet on the above.
Quote:
I think it's totally stupid that you have to buy a salon product in a salon and apparently some salon product companies have decided to do just that and sell in discount stores...it's certainly not cheap though at Target!
Boy it's not cheap, is it? But it is old. [removed].
Quote:
My hair is very fine and tangles like crazy and I cannot find a conditioner that really detangles without making my ends feel dry
It took me 45 years to find a great conditioner for my fine straight hair, but I finally did. LOL It is Paul Mitchells, The Conditioner. It is a lovely waterbased, super light leave in that makes my hair shiney and tangle free without weighing it down. Ask your stylist to use it on you, next time you have your hair done. A little try before you buy. Good luck.

Last edited by mod-anon; 12-31-2006 at 12:55 AM. Reason: do not refer to commercial websites.

Old 11-27-2006, 05:04 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

I have also brought really good products at places like Target. I'm sure if it's a common place, then it is authentic. Also go to a busier place, I remember going to a drugstore that was a bit older that had nasty nailpolishes where the colors were all separated. It was not a chain name, and it was not a busy place, so these are the places I would think has the old products that have been sitting around. I would think that if the bottle looks funny or is of an older style that isn't updated, don't buy! They should have the new looks bottles often come out with every now and then.

I heard good things about Redken All Soft but haven't tried it. Tigi Bed Head smells great but I wasn't impressed by how it worked (I tried Control Freak & Dumb Blonde). Paul Mitchell was okay. Biolage worked well but I haven't used it in a while so I'm not sure if it would work for me again. Pureology works pretty well.. I really liked it a lot. Right now I'm using Loreal Vive Pro and I like it just as much as the professional brands I've tried, if not more.

In my opinion, I think it is GOOD to go somewhere that accepts returns or exchanges. Many places do.. that way you can try the product and if it doesn't work for you, you can just bring it back and it won't be a waste!

Last edited by tUrRrRa; 11-27-2006 at 05:07 PM.

Old 11-28-2006, 11:25 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

caliente HB User

the thing about discount stores selling salon products... well, its kind of hit and miss.

distributors get the products from the companies, then must distribute them among salons. but salons only want so much product. after they get what they want, the distributors have some left over that they need to get rid of. so where would be a good place to get rid of it? yep, discount stores. the stores take what they can get, because they can make money by selling it. in that case, the product is authentic and perfectly fine.

occasionally you'll get someone who has an old product or will water down a product, then sell it to the discount stores to try to make extra money.

personally, i trust buying salon products from a store like Target. they are generally very good about keeping good products on their shelves. but at something like a dollar store? not so much.

Old 11-28-2006, 11:40 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

MoonLight0 HB User

Thanks for all the responses. I guess Target is probably more authentic since I noticed that the shelves where they keep Redken products were almost empty. There were only a few bottles of a couple of shampoos left... the rest was sold I guess.
But I have noticed that Nexxus is always stocked FULL at every store I go to. Apparently people don't buy Nexxus at supermarkets. The Meijer store I usually go to has Nexxus products all over the place displayed because they're trying to sell and get rid of it. I'm sure those are probably old. I know I won't be buying anything there.

I'll probably go to a salon first and check out the products to see exactly what they look like. Than I'm gonna go to Target again and see if they have the same Redken products... than I'll figure out whether or not they're the same and if I should buy it from Target instead.

Thanks again!

Old 12-30-2006, 12:22 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

DanielleX51 HB User

Well the Salon products for Redkin are better at the Salon, then Walmart purchased Redkin. The reason is that at the salon their products have no additives or fillers. Salon Redkin shampoo isn't very sudsy it almost feels like your not putting enough in your hair, but you are. Now when you buy Redkin at Walmart (or where ever) there is more additives to make the product cheaper for easier sale. Redkin purchased at Walmart will be sudsy just like any other shampoo you could purchase there.

I am not saying they are bad quality at Walmart or at shopping centers but the top quality product has to be purchased at a Redkin certified salon !

Last edited by moderator2; 12-30-2006 at 06:39 AM. Reason: peer sharing only

Old 12-30-2006, 10:45 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

MoonLight0 HB User

Actually they don't sell Redken at Walmart... they only sell it at Target as far as I know. I already went to Trade Secret and bought it there instead. Turns out it's only about a dollar chaper at Target than it is at Trade Secret... so I guess it doesn't really matter.
I tried it only once so far and it felt like any other shampoo. It wasn't anything special. The conditioner is the same, nothing special either... the only great thing about it is that it smells good. My hair doesn't look or feel any different.
I mainly bought them because I wanted to pair them up with the deep fuel treatment, which worked wonders, by the way. It absolutely saved my hair and I'm definitely glad people on this board suggested it. I plan on using this for life. It's amazing.

Closed Thread