It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2006, 08:59 PM   #1
(female)

Nici11 HB User
Teeth Whitening without the chemicals

Does anyone know of any really good teeth whitening methods that are more natural, i guess you could say. My teeth are wayy to sensitive for regular teeth whitening products, well, most of them anyway. I recently used Crest Whitestrips and what was susposed to take 10 days took me a month because my teeth couldn't handle it. There ended up hardly being any difference..

how can i get my pearly whites white again??

Thanks!

Last edited by Nici11; 12-30-2006 at 04:05 PM.

Old 12-20-2006, 05:31 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

keepsgoin HB User
Re: Teeth Whitening without the chemicals

You can make a paste of hydrogen peroxide 3% and baking soda and brush every couple days with that. It definately makes a difference. Brush gently because at first your gums will be sensitive to it but using this is benificial to your gums...it is recommended for use if you have gingivitis too! I find it easier to wet my toothbrush with hp and then dip it into baking soda. After you've used this for a couple weeks, your gums will not be sensitive anymore and will be much healthier.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-20-2006, 06:26 AM   #3
(female)

shannonkristin HB User

i have been brushing with baking soda after using regular toothpaste every day, in 2 week i see a big difference, so it really does work! also it is much cheaper than any of the whitening products!

Old 12-20-2006, 07:31 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

MoonLight0 HB User

I agree with keepsgoin. I do the exact same thing she does... wet the brush with hydrogen peroxide and than put baking soda on top of that and brush.
This is a great way to whiten teeth, but try to not do it everyday. It tends to be a bit harsh on the inside of the mouth and cheeks. Doing this every couple of days works just fine.

Old 12-20-2006, 09:08 AM   #5
(female)

Nici11 HB User

It seems like baking soda is the consensus!!

Thanks all!

Old 12-20-2006, 01:51 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Aquaticgirl HB User

- brush your teeth twice a day with whitening toothpaste
- use a different toothbrush after 3 months of use
- floss daily
- use mouthwash daily

Tip:
- stay away from soda

Old 12-20-2006, 08:13 PM   #7
(female)

Nici11 HB User

Well, I just tried the peroxide and baking soda, and I can deffinatly see why it wouldn't be a good idea to do it every day (for the sake of my gums)!

I also replaced my toothbrush and am going to try use mouthwash every day again. It might not be to difficult as i used it tonight to get the baking soda taste out of my mouth! haha

thanks again.

Old 12-20-2006, 08:46 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Dark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB User

Forgive me for being the opposing one, but I had to add my two cents. A few years ago, I utilized this exact same method of peroxide and baking soda. I did it every day for two weeks and saw no improvement; I stopped after two weeks because I figured I would have seen some kind of result, even if it were very subtle. if it works for others, then that's spectacular, and I'm not at all suggesting you shouldn't give it a try. I'm just pointing out that it is not guaranteed to work...unless my teeth are really just that disgusting.

Old 12-21-2006, 03:14 AM   #9
(female)

Megan :D HB User

Um, i havent tried it, but isnt baking soda abraisive? It sort of burns away the layer of enamel, and thas why peoples teeth get whiter... be really careful if youre going to do this regularly!!!!!

megan xxxx

Old 12-21-2006, 04:52 AM   #10
(female)

Nici11 HB User

Hmmm... there's a thought! I'll just do it every few days. I deffintatly wouldn't want to soften my teeth into getting cavities! That would be even worse, then not having them nice and white.

Thanks for pointing that out!

Old 12-21-2006, 05:55 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

keepsgoin HB User

After you've been using this for a while...maybe a couple weeks, your gums will NOT be that sensitive. The peroxide is actually healing your gums right now. There's plenty of reading on the internet about using this and is also recommended highly for gum disease treatment.

If you have veneers or "fake" teeth at all...like your front tooth may have a white filling or be built up from being broken...baking soda and peroxide won't lighten that any lighter than the original filling or veneer color.

As far as the baking soda being harsh...heck about half the tooth pastes on the market have baking soda in them.

Old 12-21-2006, 08:41 AM   #12
Inactive
(female)

MoonLight0 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepsgoin
As far as the baking soda being harsh...heck about half the tooth pastes on the market have baking soda in them.
I agree. They do put baking soda and peroxide in all whitening toothpastes. It's not that harsh so long as it's not used on a daily basis.

Old 12-21-2006, 11:48 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

Don't put lemon juice on them!! I read a horrible story about a girl who used to do this. She said it made her teeth feel so clean and fresh and shiny and whitened them, but she got so obsessed with it and did it ALL the time. Her teeth became so thin and fragile because she wore away so much of the enamel doing this. Yikes!

Last edited by moderator2; 12-21-2006 at 12:04 PM.

Old 12-21-2006, 12:20 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

WanderingSoul HB User

Yes, baking soda IS mildly abrasive. I would be careful.

If your teeth are sensitive, I would suggest seeing a dentist for a one-time bleaching. If you're going to do other stuff like peroxide and baking soda, I would also ask your dentist, and get his/her approval and advice...

Old 12-21-2006, 09:34 PM   #15
(female)

Nici11 HB User

Well, my teeth only seem to be sensitive when I use whitening products. Like the chemicals somehow effect the nerve endings. Then it messes up all of my nerve system, for about a day. Like I get the "heebie jeebies" when I touch certian things. This only happens if I keep the whitener on too long, or in the case of the crest white strips, follow the instructions. It's NOT a very fun experience! I'm going to try the baking soda for a little while. Isn't there even Arm and Hammor toothpaste or something like that? I wonder if that would work....?

Closed Thread