It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2007, 12:09 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Dark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB User
Eyebrows: Plucking vs. shaving

Is there a better way to take care of one's eyebrows of the two options? I used to pluck mine, but they would always end up uneven, and it hurt like crazy (but I manage to pluck my lower eyelashes out - go figure). So I began shaving them into the proper shape with an everyday razor. Sometimes they end up a little off, but I usually put eyeliner on the brows to darken and elongate them so the difference isn't as noticeable. But is there a method that's 'better' - as in, is shaving them into shape a bad thing to do? My only complaint is my eyebrows tingle a little when I get done.

Also, is there anyone here with naturally uneven eyebrows? My left eyebrow is slightly yet noticeably higer on my face than the right one - my eyebrows are the thickness I want them to be, but is there any way for me to even them out a little more? I really don't have the money to get my eyebrows waxed - would melted candle wax and a strip of cloth give me the same results as a real waxing?

Another question - is it true that a person's eyebrows will not grow back if they get shaven off completely? I've been strongly considering shaving mine off and just drawing them on, but I'm wondering if they'll ever grow back in the event I grow tired of drawing them on. Has anyone ever done this? And if so, how did it turn out for you in terms of regrowth?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2007, 09:28 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

1sunny1 HB User1sunny1 HB User
Re: Eyebrows: Plucking vs. shaving

Shaving your eyebrows will cause them to not grow back. Way back when......I shaved the outer half off, they never grew back, my Mom shaved all of her and they never grew back. Also, mine are uneven naturally, but what little hair I have left I want. I had them tatooed, that lasted 4 years before I had to have a touch up, which was O.K., except I went to a new person and she said your eyebrows are uneven, so she plucked the bottom and tatooed the top, not a good thing, I really don't care if they are uneven, at least they were natural, now I have to use powder on them. I suggest you not shave them.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2007, 11:17 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Dark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB User

Thanks for the reply. I have not yet shaved mine off completely, but I notice they seem to grow back just fine when I shave away a few strands of hair from the outer ends. Any ideas for lessening the pain from the plucking? I know pain is beauty, but geez not only are my eyes watery halfway through the plucking, but I can never get a proper grip on the hairs to pull them. I always either snag the tips of the hairs and pull them, or I accidentally get the skin and pull it. Would an ice cube against my eyebrow make the pain a little less noticeable?

Old 01-27-2007, 11:36 AM   #4
(female)

joojoobee1967 HB Userjoojoobee1967 HB User

My mom shaved hers off in her teens and they never grew back. She finally had them tattooed several years ago. I would not shave them. I have heard that using Anbesol will numb it a little. Also, pluck after a shower as it seems to help me.

Mine are naturally uneven. One side has a higher arch and I wear glasses so my glasses always look uneven. It sucks but I'd rather have my natural brows versus having to tattoo them or pencil them in everyday.

Old 01-29-2007, 10:58 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

saphire82 HB User

I dont know what shaving them would do to them as far as growing back or not, but I wouldnt recommend doing it, not only because your style of eyebrows may change (mine has many times) and it does not look natural to draw them in, plus unless they were tatooed it would be difficult (or at least a hassle) to get the same or even shape.

They do make a little tool that kind of resembles an eyelash comb with metal teeth but its for the eyebrows and I think it "shave shapes" the brow but I dont know how well it works. They sell them at like Walmart and other places.

Personally I think tweezing is the best if you have to do it yourself. I found that drawing your desired shape on before you tweeze helps a lot, I always underestimated doing it that way but when I actually tried it I found that it gave me the shape I wanted way better than when Ive been "freehanding" it for the last decade.

Your other options are waxing or threading, which waxing you can either get it done professionally or do it yourself "if you have enough confidence" or threading which might be hard to find a place that does it, but make sure you go to someone that knows what they are doing. Whatever you decide, good luck to ya!

Last edited by saphire82; 01-29-2007 at 10:59 AM.

Old 01-29-2007, 11:43 AM   #6
(female)

luvmy2kids HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Stranger View Post
(but I manage to pluck my lower eyelashes out - go figure).
Just out of curiosity, why do you do that?
Quote:
I've been strongly considering shaving mine off and just drawing them on, but I'm wondering if they'll ever grow back in the event I grow tired of drawing them on.
In my opinion, when I see someone that has shaved their eyebrows and drawn them in I think it looks ridiculous. I'm sure not everyone's does but from what I've seen - not good. It's so obvious! Try rubbing ice on your eyebrow before you pluck. I've never found it to be painful.. so I don't really have any suggestions other than that.

Last edited by luvmy2kids; 01-29-2007 at 11:45 AM.

Old 01-29-2007, 02:28 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

tarheel247 HB User

why wouldn't they grow back if you shave them? they sure do grow back when you pluck them out by the roots. my son shaved his when he was two. they grew back just fine.

Old 01-29-2007, 10:30 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Luvmy2kids,

I used to pluck my lower eyelashes out because of the eyeliner I used. I started using a liquid eyeliner because it was darker than the pencil, and when I applied the liquid liner to my bottom eyelid, it would smear across my eyelashes. When my lashes rubbed against my skin, it would put thin, dark lines under my eyes. I wanted to eliminate said lines, so I started plucking out my lower eyelashes. It hurt like crazy and I never get them all out, and my eyelids are inflamed for about two days...but it sure kept the lines off my face. But now I've gone back to the eye pencil, so I have no need to pluck the lashes.

Old 01-30-2007, 09:42 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

boicrazy3188 HB User

I think it's dumb to shave eyebrows. Too many things associated with it, like weird regrowth, razor burn, etc. I also think its ridiculous when they shave their eebrows off and pencil them in. Do they think it looks natural? I can understand if a women accidentally plucks too much and tries to blend it with a pencil, but the whole eyebrow?!? ugh.

I pluck, when I need to. I went through a period where I wanted beautifully sculpted, "tadpole" eyebrows that went from fat to skinny. When I did them, they were uneven, too skinny, or too short, and always looked stupid. Then for a while I got it done professionally, and it was better, but they never do it the way you want them too. Now, I keep them basic and as natural as possible. I pluck the few outsiders and keep my natural shape, which isn't much of an arch, but fits my face well. Also, I have light blonde hair, so haveing fuller eyebrows looks better on me because it looks like I actually have them LOL. You go too skinny at the ends with light hair, and you look like you have a half an eyebrow, which looks so stupid!

I do have uneven eyebrows, actually everyone does. Your face isn't symmetrical, and usually one eyebrow is higher, or lower or a little larger then the other. The only person who notices it, is myself

Please don't shave your eyebrows, you don't want to risk them never coming back...

Old 01-31-2007, 08:56 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

saphire82 HB User

Whatever you do, do NOT attempt to use those little preshaped eyebrow stickers they sell, everyone has their own shape and I dont think any professional would ever recommend them.

Old 02-01-2007, 04:09 AM   #11
(female)

angelik_pistol HB User

have u ever thought about waxing? i know i know it hurts! but 1 swipe and ur done! thats what i do and really.... its not that bad. its faster and better than plucking for ages just use a tiny popsicle stick to put it on instead of the thicker ones they supply for ur face in the box. its much easier to use. and u can dispose them and not have to worry about cleaning up. another bonus! plus once u wax the hair will take a bit longer to grow back so ull only have to touch up a few times with the tweezers before u need to wax again.

Closed Thread