It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2007, 01:40 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Frynd1 HB User
Help! Stylist dyed my hair BLACK

Went to the salon to have my hair dyed. It was originally a (dyed) light, coppery brown. I asked the stylist to color it a rich brown. After all was said and done my hair turned out (to be what I believe) black. I came home and washed it 3 times and I'm not even sure that did anything. I look gothic (no offense to anyone who is) and I already had pale skin and blue eyes. Is there any way I can fix this? What if I went and bought a box of brown hair dye from the store?

Old 02-11-2007, 02:02 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User
Re: Help! Stylist dyed my hair BLACK

Did they use a permanent color or semi-permanent? Either way, whenever I dye my hair darker (even permanent) it fades with time. Using a clarifying shampoo can help fade it quicker, but it can dry out your hair if you use it too often. I would suggest going back to the salon and telling them the color isn't what you wanted. Some places will fix it for free. Buying a box of brown dye at home might turn it orangey brown so you might not want to try that. They will either have to strip the color or lighten it, which are best to get done in the salon. If you don't trust going back, look around for other salons or ask friends where they go.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2007, 02:29 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Frynd1 HB User

Unfortunately Im a single mom and I rarely get someone to babysit my son and it wont be as easy as going back to the salon to get it re-done.

Old 02-11-2007, 02:43 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

MoonLight0 HB User

I agree, definitely try stripping the color with a clarifying shampoo. I used to dye my own hair (a lot) with permanent dyes, and even then it would fade rather quickly.
Last time I dyed it a medium ash brown, it turned out almost black (probably very similar to yours), and after a couple of weeks it washed out to a coppery brown (which is what it is now, and though I hate it I've learned to live with it since I'm trying to get it back to my natural color).

Anyway, I've been using Nexxus Aloe Rid clarifying shampoo recently (only once a month) and it's stripped a lot of the red out of my hair. Every time I wash my hair with it, it gets significantly lighter even though I haven't dyed it in almost a year.
[A girl once asked me who does my hair since every time she sees me it looks different. So obviously the shampoo is working.]
You should definitely try that, I'm confident that it will make a huge difference.

Last edited by MoonLight0; 02-11-2007 at 02:43 PM.

Old 02-11-2007, 03:42 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

opple HB Useropple HB User

Be careful stripping your hair with shampoo. I have been able to fade color in a lot less drying way with conditioners. But even those can overload the hair and sort of in effect, burn it if you go too far. One stylist told me that too much conditioner can literally cause the ends to "explode" and hence, split ends. You don't want damaged hair in addition to it being the wrong color, trust me.

Can you speak to the salon and ask for a refund or complete color correction? Usually they will try to fix it for free at places I go if it was their mistake.

Last edited by opple; 02-11-2007 at 03:43 PM.

Old 02-12-2007, 09:23 AM   #6
(female)

angelik_pistol HB User

haha dishsoap! that shud get sum color out!

Old 02-12-2007, 10:17 AM   #7
(female)

SweetAmy87 HB User

It'll fade on its own... 99% of the time a dark brown dye job will be black for a couple of days. It's happened to the 50 people throughout my lifetime that have done it. Don't strip it, don't re-do it, leave it alone and it'll fade on its own.

Old 02-12-2007, 10:46 AM   #8
(female)

citybythelake HB User

The same thing happened to me in November. I decided that I was tired of going in the salon for color, so I decided to use Nice and Easy in 1 shade darker than my light brown. I got what I thought was black. After trying for a month to fade out the color by washing alone, I decided to go to a salon for a color correction. That resulted in my hair going from the darkest brown to a bright copper/orange. The stylist then put on a toner that darkened the orange right back to the shade I went in with - again very dark brown ($150 waste of money). I finally went back into a different salon last week and the stylist there recommended full foils in a caramel brown. The result is fantastic with an overall result of a light/medium brown with golden highlights (another $150). So, I ended up spending $300 to get my hair back where I wanted it.

I recommend foils to lighten. They can bleach out the dark color instead of trying to remove it.

Old 02-12-2007, 08:06 PM   #9
(female)

Danielle05 HB User

Whatever you do, do NOT buy store bought hair dye!! Trust me, it'll make it WORSE. I've been dying my hair for years, find a better stylist. If you buy the store bought stuff, trust me, it'll turn your hair ORANGE. I know this from experience, and the more you dye it with that stuff the worse it'll damage your hair, so I'd suggest finding a better stylist whenever you can. Eventually after a couple washes it'll fade a little bit each time.

Old 02-12-2007, 10:07 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Frynd1 HB User

Okay... I forgot to mention... my hair is permed also and bleach is my worst enemy! I suppose thats why I feel doomed! I know how hard it is to lift a dark color I called a salon this morning and the lady recommended getting a stripping treatment done. Costs 20 bucks and isnt garunteed to work. I admit Im a little concerned all this stripping will pull at my perm. I have long, thick curly hair and it was actually fairly pretty until this happened. Now I look like I should play lead in a scary movie.

Old 02-13-2007, 03:50 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User

OMG what we women go through with our hair. I don't know one woman who hasn;t gotten a bad color job or cut that hasn't paid for it and gone home in tears. In my experience with the color coming out to dark ( I have natural med/dark brown hair that has come out blue/black at times) was to let it wash out and fade. I use clarifying shampoo and have also used dish det. BUT my hair is short, straight and doesn't know what a split end looks like. My daughter had an experience recently believe it or not with a high end salon. She noticed a few grays and needed a cut so decided to treat herself to her first color at 35 years old. Came out beautiful. Nice coppery med brown which is her natural color with a few lighter hightlights that were added. As time went on the hightlights turned snow white and got wider. When it was time to color again she opted not to pay $150 again as she didn't like the highlights so she bought Natural Instincts and did it herself. WELL!!! she ended up with dark red hair. went to the original salon and was honest about coloring it herself. the colorist said she would use the same color she used first to fix it. My daughter then questioned her how it would come out the same color if her hair was 4 shades darker now. The girl said it would be fine. WELL!!!! it made it worse. she walked out of there making sure the colorist and the manager knew how unhappy she was and that if it couldn't be fixed the colorist should have told her. Her hair was now 5 different colors from light red, brown, dark red, black and a plum shade. After fighting with these people for a refund and them telling her they couldn't do anything to help her even though they advertise "corrective coloring" at her wits end she had her neighbor take the color out and do it her natural color. for $20 her hair was fixed and looks great. BE CAREFUL!!!!! you never know what different products combined will come out like. Best of luck.

ICC

Last edited by ICC; 02-13-2007 at 03:50 AM.

Old 02-13-2007, 09:25 AM   #12
(female)

Danielle05 HB User

Another suggestion I have is the darker color it probably makes u uncomfortable if you're fair complected, if you bought self tanners (ones that actually do not streak and give u a nice dark healthy glow) then I think it'd make you more comfortable with the darker hair until it fades.

Old 02-14-2007, 09:47 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

sawbuck44 HB Usersawbuck44 HB Usersawbuck44 HB User

Hi, is your color a pretty black or does it just look unnatural? I had my hair done at a salon - trying to get a warmer blonde with highlights. They ruined my hair! It was black, but with the highlights it wasn't overwhelming at the time. They had one girl do the color, another do the highlights, and still another blow me out. Well, the girl who blew dried my hair asked me, "am i pushing too hard?" she was trying to get the dye off my face! little did i know. That was the worst night of my life. I did leave the salon but took the next day off and spent 4 hours there having the head guy fix it. What they had to do was put this stuff on it (clarifier?) to get the darkness out. Once that was done they took me to the chair, dried it and asked me what I thought. I told them it now looks orange. So they did it some more and finally managed to make it look decent. I will never go to a salon again! I'm sorry but I have more stories from other salons on color. don't get me started.

I use Loreal Preference and finally realized that I have to get 8 natural blonde because my hair pulls ash color (found that out at the place above and another place where I had to have my hair redone a few times). Now I just touch up my roots and I also highlight it. I think I used Revlon highlights - real blonde - where they give you the cap that you pull your hair through. It worked really well. Had my hubby pull through the back (he was better at it than I was! lol).

You probably need to go back and tell them that your hair pulled too dark and to put a clarifier on it. You didn't spend big bucks to be worse than going in. The main reason I do my hair on my own is because of my bad experiences and I've finally learned what works for me. with the help of this board! I see that you can't manage to get out for that long and that's another reason I do it myself. I can do my roots at 4 weeks if I want - it's only $10!
good luck

Old 02-15-2007, 03:56 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

desertdweller HB User

I was a hairdresser for 20 years, and specialized in color correction. If your hair is permed, the permed area will definitely fade out with time. I wouldn't recommend having the salon try to lighten up all of the color, because it will most likely dry your hair out and leave reddish/brassy tones. A couple things you could try:

Wash your hair with a mixture of baking soda and shampoo, leave lather in a couple minutes and rinse. Condition with a deep conditioner.

One of the things people don't like about dark hair is it doesn't reflect the light and look shiny. Try using a hair polisher to make your hair real shiny, like Rusk Sheer Brilliance.

Like the other poster said, use a tanning creme to help you feel not so pale faced

If all else fails, have a hairdresser put in a few lighter pieces of brown, don't have them try to lighten the whole thing.

Good Luck!

Old 02-15-2007, 06:45 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

soon2bmommy HB User

If you have a Sally's beauty supply nearby, I'd go there and ask the clerk. They have this powder stuff that I and friends swear by. I'm also very fair skinned and have gotten dyed too dark before and had salons just plain refuse to do anything about it because I "left happy". The powder GENTLY removes the color, you can use it a few times for a few days. I naturally have very dry hair (my hole head is insanely dry, BUT my roots which get oily FAST) and it doesn't hurt my hair at all. WONDERFUL STUFF!

I'm sorry I can't remember what it's called, but the most recent packet that I used was around the size of a packet of yeast from the market. Hope that helps some!

Closed Thread