It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2007, 02:32 PM   #1
(male)

joe001 HB User
Unhappy face mole removal

5 Months ago i decided to have 2 protruding moles about 1/2 centimeter in diameter on my face excised, one on the side of my face and the other one on my forehead.It was done by a plastic surgeon. The scars are red and look worse than the moles did. I deeply regret doing it.am mad at myself. It has affected my self-esteem and my confidence is really low (i wish the ground would swallow me up!). How can i come to terms with it ?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2007, 06:40 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Jenteal HB User
Re: face mole removal

The scars usually take up to a year to fade. If you are in the sun it will take longer. If they are completly healed with no oozing or peeling you can use Merderma. Since they are still considered new you apply the Merderma 3-4 times a day for 8 weeks. It works quit well. I used it on my leg with a weed eater attacked it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2007, 02:27 PM   #3
(female)

jimmielegs HB User

Can you tell us a little more, joe101? For example, what type of post-surgical care did you get? And, what did your surgeon tell you to expect in terms of the healing process?

I agree with Jenteal that the redness can take up to a year to fade and, for sure!, you don't want to go in the sun without sunblock. You do not want to let those scars get sunburned. In fact, it's a good idea to wear a 30 SPF (at least) every day just for normal protection.

I've never heard of Merderm, which I'm assuming is a fading cream, but would like to offer this piece of advice and that is to call your surgeon to ask for assistance with healing and how you can/should deal with your red scars.

Old 04-20-2007, 04:50 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

rita HB User

Don't get upset over it. The scars will DEFINITELY improve even if you do nothing.
Now, I will suggest a great product for you to try. It will get rid of the red and make the scar flatten out and almost disappear. Really. I have seen its work or I would not recommend it.
It's called Rejuveness and it's silicone sheets. You simply place a piece over the scar, large enough to cover it and at least a centimeter larger than the scar, and then put special non-allergenic tape over it to hold it down flat. There are no chemicals or anything in it but it works! The newer the scar, the faster it will disappear. You can wear the patch as long as needed and not take it off for days or weeks. If it peels of because of washing, just remove and dry the silicone piece and apply again with a new tape.
So, don't waste time being angry at yourself. You can buy it from them directly but they are sold in drugstores here in the U.S
The silicone sheets come in a variety of sizes and shapes to fit your needs and can be used indefintely. After you are done, simply store them away and use again should a need arise with another scar. Be sure to buy the tape from the company as well. Good luck and keep us posted on the progress.

P.S

As the other posters suggested: STAY AWAY FROM THE SUN. Avoid it like the plague. It will permanently darken your scar should it get exposed to it.

Last edited by moderator2; 04-23-2007 at 12:27 PM. Reason: posted commercial website

Old 04-20-2007, 05:10 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Jenteal HB User

Mederma is not a fading cream. It has water,onion extract,xanthan gum,allantion,fragrance,methylparben, sorbic acid and cepalin. It hleps stretch marks from a pregnancy or a scar from surgery. It helps make your scar appear softer and smoother. No matter if it’s old or new.

It's an invisible, greaseless, pleasant-smelling gel. The Pharmacist at my Walgreens told me about it by. It improved the color, exture and overall appearance of my huge sacr on my leg. It was very deep but not now.

You can buy it almost anywhere.

I seen the Rejuveness used mostly by burns patients in hospitals. Does a good job but have never seen it for sale to the public.

Last edited by Jenteal; 04-20-2007 at 05:14 PM.

Old 04-20-2007, 06:27 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

rita HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenteal View Post
Mederma is not a fading cream. It has water,onion extract,xanthan gum,allantion,fragrance,methylparben, sorbic acid and cepalin. It hleps stretch marks from a pregnancy or a scar from surgery. It helps make your scar appear softer and smoother. No matter if itís old or new.

It's an invisible, greaseless, pleasant-smelling gel. The Pharmacist at my Walgreens told me about it by. It improved the color, exture and overall appearance of my huge sacr on my leg. It was very deep but not now.

You can buy it almost anywhere.

I seen the Rejuveness used mostly by burns patients in hospitals. Does a good job but have never seen it for sale to the public.
Rejuveness is used for ALL types of hypertropic (raised) scarring. It is definitely for sale to the public and has been for years. It is available in many drugstores or online.

Old 04-21-2007, 05:11 PM   #7
(male)

joe001 HB User

thanks for the advice everyone. i think, as most of u suggest, wait a year and (hope!) the redness disappears. not to sure about creams. i don't want to risk anything that will make matters worse. i spoke to my surgeon and he said to wait a year so that is what i will do. meanwhile, i will just have to hold my chin up and get on with my life. Thanks.

Old 04-22-2007, 06:55 PM   #8
(female)

anxiety27 HB User

Hi Joe, can I ask a persoal question about mole removals. .I am looking to remove one on my face also this summer and am now a bit more aprehensive. 1. Does it hurt. How do they do it, in order please, spare no details.. and
2. What did your plastic surgen charge you? (if you don't mind telling me) I want to use a plastic surgen as well, but my insurance will not pay since its cosmetic.
Thank you in advance

Last edited by anxiety27; 04-22-2007 at 06:56 PM.

Old 04-23-2007, 10:15 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

rita HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe001 View Post
thanks for the advice everyone. i think, as most of u suggest, wait a year and (hope!) the redness disappears. not to sure about creams. i don't want to risk anything that will make matters worse. i spoke to my surgeon and he said to wait a year so that is what i will do. meanwhile, i will just have to hold my chin up and get on with my life. Thanks.
PLEASE do not wait a year to see what happens! For your own sake, try the Rejuveness silicone sheets and do it as soon as possible since time is of the essence in scar treatment. Do not make an irreversible mistake by just doing nothing when something so simple, easy and totally safe can make a huge difference in your appearance. As I mentioned before, I would never recomend it to anyone had I not seen with my own eyes the almost miraculous improvements this treatment brings about. You really ave nothing to lose by trying it. The cost of this treatment is only about $30-$40 (depending which size of silicone sheet you purchase and many purchase a bigger size simply to have some available for future or bigger scars, should these occur) and that's not much at all, considering the cost of the removal of the mole and, even more importantly, the cost to your self esteem which you have already mentioned.

Old 04-24-2007, 11:21 AM   #10
(male)

joe001 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by anxiety27 View Post
Hi Joe, can I ask a persoal question about mole removals. .I am looking to remove one on my face also this summer and am now a bit more aprehensive. 1. Does it hurt. How do they do it, in order please, spare no details.. and
2. What did your plastic surgen charge you? (if you don't mind telling me) I want to use a plastic surgen as well, but my insurance will not pay since its cosmetic.
Thank you in advance

Hi anxiety27, well, firstly, it does not hurt at all because you are given local anesthetic (the anesthetic needle will just sting slightly-not much). there are few methods of mole removal. (1) excision- where they cut out the mole and stitch it up using very tiny sutures. (2) burning the mole off - they use an instrument to burn the mole off and healing takes place naturally. don't recommend this techniques cos the mole may come back if it has roots and u are likely to have a scar which may look worse than mole itself. scar is likely to look like a slight circular crater (3) shave method - this is where they shave the mole off (if it is protruding) to skin level and cauterise the area to stop bleeding (again, mole can return if has roots) Scarring is expected but not as much as method 2. I had my moles removed in britain, it cost me £500 to have 2 removed (if it's for cosmetic u will have to pay). Please rememember, there is going to be a scar whichever method is used. if you have light skin compared to dark, the scarring appears less (so am told). If u do decide to go ahead,go to a respected, well known plastic/cosmetic surgeon. Mine was recommnded by someone from a respected mole clinic in britain and, even though initially i was upset, i know he did the best possible job in terms of least scarring possibe. My scars do appear to be gradually fading and feeling better by the week. If u do decide to go ahead, in my opinion, have them excised and stitched up becasue the scarring looks better, finer, compared to the other methods which is likely to have an oval shaped scar which will be slightly indented which in my opinion is not asthetically pleasing compared to a thin white line which hopefully, fingers crossed, my scars will turn into. Also, sorry to go on!, the healing process is going to take a while which u need to be prepared for (I wasn't!). regards. hope info was helpful. If not, apologies.

Old 04-24-2007, 11:31 AM   #11
(male)

joe001 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rita View Post
PLEASE do not wait a year to see what happens! For your own sake, try the Rejuveness silicone sheets and do it as soon as possible since time is of the essence in scar treatment. Do not make an irreversible mistake by just doing nothing when something so simple, easy and totally safe can make a huge difference in your appearance. As I mentioned before, I would never recomend it to anyone had I not seen with my own eyes the almost miraculous improvements this treatment brings about. You really ave nothing to lose by trying it. The cost of this treatment is only about $30-$40 (depending which size of silicone sheet you purchase and many purchase a bigger size simply to have some available for future or bigger scars, should these occur) and that's not much at all, considering the cost of the removal of the mole and, even more importantly, the cost to your self esteem which you have already mentioned.
Hi rita, i really do appreciate your advice on using the silicon sheets but i spoke to my surgeon and he suggested that i do nothing cos he is confident it will heal well naturally within a year. the feedback i've got from my surgeon has had an impact in terms of my outlook on things. regards.

Old 04-24-2007, 02:45 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

rita HB User

That is very strange for your surgeon to suggest that.
What would you have to lose by trying the sheets?
Your scar will not look worse due to using the silicone sheets, it can only look better so isn't that reason enough to use them. I just don't understand waiting and doing nothing, hoping for a good outcome when there is a chance of helping things along and speeding and encouraging improvement.
Most plastic surgeons would not advise you to do nothing when a solution may be at hand.
Oh well. I can only offer advice since you asked for some. I cannot make you take it.
Good luck.

Old 04-24-2007, 06:22 PM   #13
(female)

anxiety27 HB User

Joe, thank you so very much.. I appreciate it a lot. I am so up in the air about removing mine. It isn't large at all, but I do want it off. Am so apprehensive about it. I just don't know what 500 pounds is in American dollars, do you?

Old 04-24-2007, 06:27 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

rita HB User

500 British Pounds is almost exactly $1000. Simply multiply British Pounds by 2 to get USD equivalent.

Old 04-29-2007, 10:25 AM   #15
(female)

liiz77 HB User

Hi- I am new to this forum and have several moles on my face that I am interested in removing. I have heard a lot about Dermatend and am wondering if it really works, how it works, and how long it takes? Has anyone tried it, heard success/failure stories about it, or recommend it?

Closed Thread