It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2007, 08:35 PM   #1
(female)

Sue21 HB User
Question Want to stop highlighting my hair...advice please

I have light brown hair. I've been highlighting it for about 3 years, so it's pretty blonde now.

I think I want to stop highlighting my hair and go back to my natural color for a bit. But I can't just stop highlighting, because my roots would show and that would look awful!

I do NOT want to completely dye all my hair brown (my natural color).

Can I have my hairdresser put lowlights in some of my hair to make the ends darker and then let my hair grow out? I'm thinking of lowlighting the ends now and then again in a few months so it's a gradual change.

Has anyone done this? Any thoughts?

Sue

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2007, 11:21 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User
Re: Want to stop highlighting my hair...advice please

I was going to recommend lowlighting just like you said.. I know a few girls who did this (I am doing it soon too!) and it darkened their hair gradually and looked nice. You could still see the highlights at first but overall it just looked darker, like when you FIRST get highlights. Definitely give it a try!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2007, 08:37 AM   #3
(female)

Sue21 HB User

Thanks!

Old 04-22-2007, 11:25 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User

That's how I got back to my natural color, but I did the opposite. My hair is naturally blonde but I was coloring it dark brown. It was getting too hard to maintain because when the roots came back, they looked gray! So I told my colorist I wanted to go back to my natural color as gradually as possible. So she started putting more highlights in and gradually we turned it more and more blonde again.

Of course now I want it darker again! It's been about 2 years, so I think I'm due for a change.

Anyway, that's the way I'd do it if I were you. Just keep getting more lowlights put in that are closer to your natural color so that you gradually get back to your natural color. Not only is it healthier for your hair that way, but it also looks pretty nice, too.

Old 04-25-2007, 02:07 PM   #5
(female)

jimmielegs HB User

How about just cutting back on the amount of high-lights you have put in your hair each time? That may be kinder to your hair because you are not dying low-lights on top of already bleached hair. Maybe?

Old 04-26-2007, 07:28 AM   #6
(female)

denisem76 HB User

If you don't want to color your entire hair darker to get rid of the highlights, you can do either of the following or a combination of both the next time you go in for color: 1) ask the colorist to foil some lo-lights along with the hi-lights and continue to add more lo-lights every time you go in (this will create a gradual color transition back to your more normal hair color. 2) ask the colorist to go a level or 2 darker than the original highlights when the foils are in and to "tone" your hair darker after the hi-lights have been washed out. Toning uses a non-abrasive demi-permanent color on wet hair to achieve the desired level and color that washes out over a few weeks. Also, I know you weren't interested in using permanent color to go back to your natural, but if you went to an Aveda salon (I happen to be a stylist at one), their permanent color is mild and is 97% natural and they should be able to match your natural almost exactly. Good luck and have fun!

Old 04-27-2007, 06:37 PM   #7
(female)

Sue21 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmielegs View Post
How about just cutting back on the amount of high-lights you have put in your hair each time? That may be kinder to your hair because you are not dying low-lights on top of already bleached hair. Maybe?
Hmm....I know if I just slow down or stop highlighting, then my roots would show and that would look horrible. I have been highlighting my hair for quite some time, so it is almost completely blonde.

To the other posters.....

Great suggestions! I have done highlights at the roots and lowlights at the tips once before, and I loved it! And the lowlights came out great, so I completely trust my stylist. I want to gradually lowlight it so the change is gradual. My concern about completely dying my hair is not the damage, but rather the sudden-ness of the color change.

I am going to talk to my stylist about my options next time I go for a trim. Thanks for the help, everyone!

Old 05-04-2007, 05:51 PM   #8
(female)

JaneKaye HB User

I was a slave to colouring my hair and having highlights too a few years ago. My hair is naturally light brown and I used to use a home colour kit regularly (as soon as the roots started to show). I then started having professional highlights but found the same problem with roots showing as my hair grew. I was absolutely fed up with having to constantly colour my hair and wished I'd never started.

A friend of mine, who is a hair stylist, suggested that I try a product call 'Sun In' I don't know if you have this in the US? It's a very low concentrate of peroxide in a spray. Basically, when my roots started to regrow, I sprayed random strands with the spray avoiding the ends and older growth (probably once every few weeks to begin with - it just took a few minutes before blow drying, no waiting or washing out). This gently lightened some of the new growth so the line wasn't so harsh. I kept this up for probably about a year (it is such a painless process, I can't really remember). No-one seemed to notice that my colour was darkening (maybe they were too polite to say!!) It certainly didn't look harsh and unattractive though.

Anyway, I haven't coloured my hair now for five years, but I still use Sun In about once a month. I don't spray it all over my hair, but after washing, I select random strands and spray. The result is medium blonde and very natural (my mother actually said how nice my hair is now its back to my natural colour - although its actually about three shades lighter - she's obviously forgotten what my real colour is!!). Because I use the spray so infrequently it hasn't affected the condition of my hair either.

I must sound like an advert for Sun In!! but it really has taken a lot of pressure out of my life. I'm still blonde - but don't have the horrible re-growth lines or the bad condition of constant colouring.

Old 05-05-2007, 08:40 PM   #9
(female)

Sue21 HB User
Smile Re: Want to stop highlighting my hair...advice please

Yes, we do have Sun-In in the USA. I have a friend who used to use it to lighten her hair, and it looked great! But I heard that you should be careful with it so your hair doesn't turn orange (I think this only happens if you have very dark hair).

That's a great option for when my hair is back to its normal color, because I hate how dark it gets in the winter. I like the sun-streaked shine of the summertime! That's the look I was originally going for when I first started highlighting my hair (a light sun-kissed look), but like you said I've become a slave to highlighting so I'm too blonde now!

Thank you

Old 06-13-2007, 09:40 AM   #10
(female)

Sue21 HB User

JaneKaye.......

In regards to your post about Sun-In, could you tell me a little more about how you use it?

Do you use the regular/original Sun-In? Or the newer Lemon scented one?

How do you apply it to your hair...Do you just spray it and let it mist lightly over your hair from several inches away? How exactly do you apply it?

Do you apply it to wet, damp, or dry hair?

Do you shampoo your hair after its application, or blow dry it after? How long after applying it do you do this?

Thanks so much. This seems like a great option for when my hair gets mousy in the winter.

Sue

Closed Thread