It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2007, 02:36 PM   #1
(female)

JenCot HB User
Nair: Good or bad? I say bad.

I knew I should not have bought the cheaper stuff. I usually used Sally Hansen to remove upper lip hair, but my ex boyfriend insisted on something cheaper. I used Nair several times with no problem, but about a month ago, I used it again. I left it on for maybe 10 minutes. I know it says no more than four minutes... but I was busy. I went out in the sun awhile later, and when I came back into the house, I looked into the mirror and my upper lip was a funky brown shade that NEVER WENT AWAY. I have turned to waxing now, but that is also a mess because the wax never goes on smooth.

Anyway, my lip better go back to normal or I will be angry with Nair.

Old 07-12-2007, 05:20 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User
Re: Nair: Good or bad? I say bad.

Wow, I am sorry to hear that! I just hate the smell of Nair and always buy the scented kinds since they make it somewhat better.. but it still smells so bad. It also makes me itch pretty bad so I get the one that works the quickest. I used to use it on my arms but shaving them actually has worked better and it grows back in soft and not stubbly like I worried!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2007, 08:01 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

MoonLight0 HB User

I've tried Nair and Veet, and both are horrible in my opinion. One time I got a really bad rash on my leg that wouldn't go away for months afterwards. Two inches of my skin was so tender for a long time, it was awful. I agree about the smell... it's awful.
But I've been wondering about trying the new Nair Sensitive Formula... the one with the plastic razor thing.

Has anyone tried that one? Is it better?

Old 07-13-2007, 08:00 AM   #4
(female)

kotitka HB User

I use Sally Hansen for body + the plastic razor I kept from Nair. Together works great, you just have to go gently with the "razor" and move it in the direction of hair growth, otherwise you will end up with irritated skin.

Old 07-13-2007, 08:02 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

jen52983 HB User

I started a thread with the same topic; "Hair removal products." We're having the same dicussion in there!

My Nair experience wasn't great. Not as bad as your's though.. sorry to hear about that. Is there any warning on the bottle about sun exposure after use? If not, you should get in touch with them.. or a lawyer (!!) if it doesn't clear up.

I Naired my arms once, years ago.. and it burned/tingled during and after use, and smelled horrible (Which I could have dealt with if the product had worked.) I ended up with patches that didn't fully remove, and ended up having to shave my arms anyway!

I shave my arms now and it seems to be going alright. As another poster said, the hair grows back in soft, not thick and rough like I was afraid. I shave them once a week. It looks a little funny growing back in.. but it's much better than the "monkey arms" i used to have! haha

I use a Sally Hansen wax on my upper lip. It seems to do the trick for the most part. It's a bit painful, but for such a small area it's bareable. I don't use it very often.. mostly b/c its a pain.. gotta microwave it, then let it cool, apply, wait, remove. the applicator won't ever be totally clean b/c the wax hardens on it. The container gets all caked with hard wax. So a good amount of the wax is wasted b/c it's dried on the applicator and container!

There must be an easier way!!! Maybe one day... *looks off into the distance with dream-filled eyes*

Last edited by jen52983; 07-13-2007 at 08:06 AM.

Old 07-13-2007, 03:08 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotitka View Post
I use Sally Hansen for body + the plastic razor I kept from Nair. Together works great, you just have to go gently with the "razor" and move it in the direction of hair growth, otherwise you will end up with irritated skin.
Do you think the Sally Hansen one makes your skin smoother? I did find that when I used Nair AND shaved afterwards, it seemed to last longer, but who wants to deal with skin irritation and the smell?

Old 07-14-2007, 09:08 AM   #7
(female)

smals212 HB User

i used to use nair (the pink bottle) on my bikini area and it worked pretty well. hated the smell though! i recently tried the sensitive formula and it worked horribly! hardly took any hair off and i followed the directions perfectly! i ended up with patches and had to shave. i think i'm going back to the pink bottle again....

Old 07-15-2007, 02:51 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Aquaticgirl HB User

Bad. I used the Sally Hansen one and it was impossible to come off and it didn't even do anything.

Old 07-16-2007, 02:15 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

CaringMom HB User

Glad I'm not the only one. I used to use those products some years ago with no luck at all. I have very course, dark hair with stubble the within hours of shaving! I even tried leaving the stuff on upwards of 45 minutes! No burn, tingle, nothing but the hair left on my legs. I'm stuck with the old fashioned razor; even waxing doesn't work that well for me and it hurts to much anyways.

Old 07-16-2007, 06:27 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

brook65 HB User

God caring mom I know how you feel - sigh..

Isn't it depressing, I just dream of the day someone comes up with the dream hair removal system that is permanent, and doesn't cost the earth.

That would be a dream come true for me

Old 07-17-2007, 03:28 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

ILYF HB User

Someone usually comes up with a thread asking about Nair etc. from time to time and the general opinion is a huge majority do not like it and say it does not work and can't figure out even why they sell this stuff. There will be maybe one or two people that say it worked OK but I don't believe I've ever seen anyone say "yes...I love it".

Old 07-25-2007, 02:42 AM   #12
(female)

nita_xx HB User

i find that it works fine for me (i use it on my arms) but like you said i wouldnt say i love it and i have tried other brands and they all do the job fine

Closed Thread