It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2007, 10:56 AM   #1
(female)

qtee4eva HB User
Baking Soda for Teeth Cleaning

I have been sprinkling baking soda on my toothbrush that has toothpaste on it in order to keep stains away. I use this method 2 times a day and it works great. Does anyone know if this is too abrasive? I asked the dental hygenist when I last had my teeth cleaned and was told it was so I asked why it's okay to put in toothpastes and sell at stores and was told that those types of toothpastes consist of a very small concentration of baking soda but I have to wonder if they were only saying it because they don't want people being able to remove their own stains. I'm sure the ingredients used in teeth whitening products are just as abrasive yet people use them all the time. Any thoughts?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2007, 02:20 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

MoonLight0 HB User
Re: Baking Soda for Teeth Cleaning

I've used baking soda many times as well and have heard conflicting opinions on this. Some people say that their dentists advise against the use of baking soda because it is too arasive, and others say that it is okay to sprinkle on a toothbrush a couple of times a week. In fact, even directions on boxes of baking soda say that it is okay to use for whitening and cleansing of the mouth.

I haven't asked my dentist about this yet. Maybe I will at my next appointment next week (if I don't forget).

I've also heard that excessive use of baking soda may cause cavities. I can't say for certain that this is true, but since I've used baking soda I've had a number of cavities. I can't say that they are directly correlated since it also could be the other whitening products I've used (Crest WhiteStrips), or the mass amounts of candy I used to eat, haha.
Who knows...

I've stopped using baking soda for a while now mainly because I don't feel the need to whiten my teeth at the moment. I'm more concerned about the health and getting rid of the cavities.

So whether or not you want to use it is really up to you. Dentists all say different things about it. Any whitening product will make your teeth more vulnerable to cavities though, which is very unfortunate.
I have used the Arm & Hammer whitening tooth paste with baking soda, and let me tell you, they use more than a "small concentration" of baking soda in that tooth paste. When I use it I can literally feel the baking soda crystals between my teeth, especially when I bite down (it's almost like sand). It's too much if you ask me, and the tooth paste doesn't taste very good at all (it's not minty enough), but of course, it does whiten pretty well.

So, like I said, it's really up to you. So long as you see your dentist regularly (I had to learn from a bad recent experience and will never skip another dentist appointment again), you should be fine. I would reduce the use of baking soda to 2-3 times a week rather than twice a day though.

Last edited by MoonLight0; 07-14-2007 at 02:25 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2007, 02:44 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

FromSqueaky HB User

My friend has been using her own concoction of baking soda and hydrogen peroxide since she was 12 she is 35 now. She takes the cap of the peroxide bottle and pours the peroxide in it. She then dips her tooth brush into the cap and into the box of baking soda. She has no cavities and pearly whites.

I know plenty of people that use this method for cleaning their teeth.

I have used it off and on through the years. I have enamel erosion from and ED but it's not from baking soda and peroxide. I was using the mix long before I started my ED. The erosion started about 12 years later after my 12.

Some people are just prone to bad teeth. Tooth structure, size and shape of the tooth may be passed down through generations. That means that deep pits and grooves which are ideal for trapping plaque are susceptible to decay.

There may be a higher risk of cavities forming if your parents also had a large number of cavities or bad teeth. If you have a low pH balance in your body that will give you a high level of acid in your body that can erode teeth. That in combination with eating acid foods can strip your teeth of their enamel.

Old 07-15-2007, 09:33 AM   #4
(female)

Andrea84 HB User

My dentist told me not to use baking soda more often than once every other day.

Old 07-15-2007, 01:38 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

FromSqueaky HB User

I think when we ask dentists if we should or should not use baking soda they are taking into consideration the condition that are teeth are in at the time we ask.

Like all things suggested amount and doses are adjusted to fit the needs for each individual.

Closed Thread