It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2007, 09:39 AM   #1
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: spokane, wa, usa
Posts: 106
leilani3202 HB User
fried hair...help!!

i straighten my hair with a clothes iron, it works really well. when i used to do i didnt use any product so it damaged my hair. i went and bought a spray to protect against heat and i like how soft it makes my hair feel. i dont straighten my hair much anymore, maybe twice a month, but i use it before blowdrying. the other day i straightened my hair and it frizzed up and got fried again. is there anything i can use in my hair to get rid of the fried frizz??

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 07-25-2007, 10:28 AM   #2
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA
Posts: 27
marielle1984 HB User
Re: fried hair...help!!

Using a clothes iron before your hair is dry may be damaging your hair... I straighten my hair just about every day, but I use a rich conditioner every time I wash my hair. I also do a hot oil treatment once a week or so.

After a shower, gently towel dry your hair, then blowdry. (Before blowdrying, you could try a heat protecting product, like Redken Anti-Snap.) If your hair tends to damage easily, you may want to alternate between heat and cool air when you blow dry, or let your hair air dry occasionally.

I use a ceramic straightener, which tend to be more expensive than the basic metal straighteners but they are more gentle and better on your hair, and also are usually built better. Just remember that straighteners are meant to be used on dry hair--wet hair probably requires much more heat to straighten.

Make sure you get your hair trimmed often to keep your hair looking healthy!

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 07-25-2007, 10:40 AM   #3
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: spokane, wa, usa
Posts: 106
leilani3202 HB User
Re: fried hair...help!!

i do straighten my hair when its dry and before i blow dry i use a heat protecting product

 
Old 07-25-2007, 08:34 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: tx
Posts: 461
alexiwildchild HB User
Re: fried hair...help!!

i would highly suggest not using a regular clothes iron to do your hair. it is just metal and can get extremely hot-obviously. i would recommend you get a flat iron that is real ceramic like the CHI, or at least a cheaper coated ceramic version. the iron you are using is doing nothing good for your hair, just damage! you can get some cholesterol at the beauty supply to restore some good in your hair if you want to do it the cheap way. if not, you may need a trim and some serious hair conditioning treatments from a salon or from a good name brand. my preference is Redken Extreme Force and CAT. any products with Keratin or protein as ingredients would be a great start, as that is what your hair is made up of. but you might need something a bit more heavy duty. certain salons feature a Redken treatment-i work at the salon in jcpenney's-and we offer it---it definitely helps.

good luck!!!

 
Old 07-25-2007, 10:24 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: United States
Posts: 589
MoonLight0 HB User
Re: fried hair...help!!

I would have to diagree on the not using a clothes iron and buying overpriced salon products for your hair.
I've used the clothes iron before... and it didn't hurt my hair at all. BUT, I do recommend that you put a towel or a sheet over your hair and than put the iron over that. It will protect your hair significantly. I don't know whether or not you already do that, if you don't that may be the reason why your hair is so stressed.

I've used Redken products before (Extreme shampoo, conditioner, deep ruel treatment, and anti-snap). Yes, they're good, but NO they are definitely not miracle products. They did not make my hair gorgeous and instantly repaired in any way, shape or form.
The deep fuel treatments helped a little bit, very minimal (I still had to cut off about 5 inches of my hair. Keeping in mind that my hair was only damaged due to dyeing, not straightening. It would break off and split like crazy because it was too dry and stripped.)
The treatments aren't that expensive, but you can get similar stuff at Sally Beauty Supply for much cheaper. Sally has a bunch of different protein treatments that you can look into and try.

Extreme shampoo and conditioner were nothing spectacular. The conditioner was rich, but still not amazing (I like Infusium23 much better. Recently tried it and the conditioner rocks!). I liked it but would not spend that much money on a bottle of shampoo/conditioner again.
And the anti-snap did absolutely nothing for my hair. I used it recently while straightening and blowdrying my hair and still got as many split ends as I do when I don't put anything into my hair prior to drying.

Trust me, you can find other much cheaper products that will do the same thing as those overpriced salon products.
Go to Sally Beauty Supply and browse around. You'll find all sorts of beauty products (that you've probably never seen or heard of), and give some of them a try.

Good luck!

P.S. Straightening irons are okay to use occasionally, but definitely not frequently. And if you're only going to do it like twice a month, I recommed that you get a cheap ceramic one. I have a Revlon one (bought it for $25) that works just fine.

Last edited by MoonLight0; 07-25-2007 at 10:28 PM.

 
Old 07-26-2007, 11:52 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,485
tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User
Re: fried hair...help!!

I would highly suggest Loreal Vive Pro Nutri Gloss shampoo and conditioner. My hair was damaged from too many highlights (they used too much bleach too) and it made my hair back to normal. I was using expensive salon products and they did not help me! The Loreal ones are pretty reasonably priced at around $4-5, so it's definitely worth a try. You could also try the conditioning treatment made by the same line.

Also, do you think you maybe went over the same section of hair too many times? My hairstylist recommends going over one section with a flat iron while keeping it moving and not too slow, then maybe go over it again a 2nd time.. then move on to the next section. You can go back to it if you need to after it cools down. Going over the same section too many times in a row can damage it.

 
Old 07-27-2007, 08:45 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: tx
Posts: 461
alexiwildchild HB User
Re: fried hair...help!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonLight0 View Post
I would have to diagree on the not using a clothes iron and buying overpriced salon products for your hair.
I've used the clothes iron before... and it didn't hurt my hair at all. BUT, I do recommend that you put a towel or a sheet over your hair and than put the iron over that. It will protect your hair significantly. I don't know whether or not you already do that, if you don't that may be the reason why your hair is so stressed.

I've used Redken products before (Extreme shampoo, conditioner, deep ruel treatment, and anti-snap). Yes, they're good, but NO they are definitely not miracle products. They did not make my hair gorgeous and instantly repaired in any way, shape or form.
The deep fuel treatments helped a little bit, very minimal (I still had to cut off about 5 inches of my hair. Keeping in mind that my hair was only damaged due to dyeing, not straightening. It would break off and split like crazy because it was too dry and stripped.)
The treatments aren't that expensive, but you can get similar stuff at Sally Beauty Supply for much cheaper. Sally has a bunch of different protein treatments that you can look into and try.

Extreme shampoo and conditioner were nothing spectacular. The conditioner was rich, but still not amazing (I like Infusium23 much better. Recently tried it and the conditioner rocks!). I liked it but would not spend that much money on a bottle of shampoo/conditioner again.
And the anti-snap did absolutely nothing for my hair. I used it recently while straightening and blowdrying my hair and still got as many split ends as I do when I don't put anything into my hair prior to drying.

Trust me, you can find other much cheaper products that will do the same thing as those overpriced salon products.
Go to Sally Beauty Supply and browse around. You'll find all sorts of beauty products (that you've probably never seen or heard of), and give some of them a try.

Good luck!

P.S. Straightening irons are okay to use occasionally, but definitely not frequently. And if you're only going to do it like twice a month, I recommed that you get a cheap ceramic one. I have a Revlon one (bought it for $25) that works just fine.
you are correct...none of the products that i listed are "miracle" products and won't repair your hair over night--there is no such thing, but i didn't say that they did either. they are just good products that are worth mentioning, in my opinion. my hair is extremely curly, over processed (colored and highlighted), i use a flat iron almost on a daily basis--and those are just some good items that are HELPING to get my hair back to normal.

also, it was not my intention to make anyone think that "over priced salon products" are the only things that work, because that's not true either. there are many other options out there such as L'oreal and sally beauty supply. but definitely items with protein and keratin are a must to help rebuild and strengthen healthy hair. or as i had mentioned the cheap way of getting cholesterol at the beauty supply.


leilani: as far as the clothes iron goes, it isn't really intended for hair. think about what is doing to get your clothes straight. i'm not trying to make you feel bad, but hair is not made out of durable cotton. in my opinion, it's just not a great thing to do to your hair- but hey, at least use something over it like she said if you do use one. not to mention what a pain in the butt it must be to have to do it that way--hair flat irons are much faster and easier i wish you the best of luck on your hair adventure!

 
Old 07-28-2007, 08:39 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: United States
Posts: 589
MoonLight0 HB User
Re: fried hair...help!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexiwildchild View Post
you are correct...none of the products that i listed are "miracle" products and won't repair your hair over night--there is no such thing, but i didn't say that they did either. they are just good products that are worth mentioning, in my opinion. my hair is extremely curly, over processed (colored and highlighted), i use a flat iron almost on a daily basis--and those are just some good items that are HELPING to get my hair back to normal.

also, it was not my intention to make anyone think that "over priced salon products" are the only things that work, because that's not true either. there are many other options out there such as L'oreal and sally beauty supply. but definitely items with protein and keratin are a must to help rebuild and strengthen healthy hair. or as i had mentioned the cheap way of getting cholesterol at the beauty supply.

Oh, I know. I wasn't trying to sound like I was pointing fingers at you or anything. I was just saying that in general. I've been on a lot of haircare forums and many people insist that salon haircare is the ultimate best thing in the world and that nothing works as good. That is so not true.
Everything works different for everyone... I think she should just try the cheaper stuff that can be found at Sally's or other stores before she moves on to the more expensive stuff.
I tried the expensive stuff first to save my hair, and it really didn't do a whole lot. Than I tried some cheaper stuff and it worked the same, if not better, but that's after I cut off a huge chunk of my hair.

 
Old 07-28-2007, 01:21 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: tx
Posts: 461
alexiwildchild HB User
Re: fried hair...help!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonLight0 View Post



Oh, I know. I wasn't trying to sound like I was pointing fingers at you or anything. I was just saying that in general. I've been on a lot of haircare forums and many people insist that salon haircare is the ultimate best thing in the world and that nothing works as good. That is so not true.
Everything works different for everyone... I think she should just try the cheaper stuff that can be found at Sally's or other stores before she moves on to the more expensive stuff.
I tried the expensive stuff first to save my hair, and it really didn't do a whole lot. Than I tried some cheaper stuff and it worked the same, if not better, but that's after I cut off a huge chunk of my hair.

yeah, i totally agree! if you can get away with doing it the cheaper way and it works, by all means--do it i know i like tons of the cheap products. the only reason i get a lot of the redken and stuff now is because i get it at the normal price at the supplier, so might as well since it's cheap that way, lol. sucks to have bad hair, especially when we are to blame half of the time i know that's my case haha!

 
Old 07-28-2007, 01:35 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: United States
Posts: 589
MoonLight0 HB User
Re: fried hair...help!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexiwildchild View Post
yeah, i totally agree! if you can get away with doing it the cheaper way and it works, by all means--do it i know i like tons of the cheap products. the only reason i get a lot of the redken and stuff now is because i get it at the normal price at the supplier, so might as well since it's cheap that way, lol. sucks to have bad hair, especially when we are to blame half of the time i know that's my case haha!
Yep, me too. I dyed it to death all sorts of crazy colors and it didn't turn all gross, split ends, and breaking off till years later.
I'm definitely gonna be getting my products from Sally and Target now. I had no idea Target had sooooo many products I've never even heard of and at really cheap prices. Though I should probably slow down with the products cuz too much of that is never good either. Minimal product always produces the best results for my hair.

 
Old 08-08-2007, 01:23 AM   #11
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: philippines
Posts: 4
jullieana HB User
Re: fried hair...help!!

hi i'm a newbie here, does anyone tried using Palmer's Pressing Oil formula before using hair iron? I bought and I only used once cause I'm afraid my hair may also get fried. Can you give me advice please?

 
Closed Thread




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:43 AM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!