It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2007, 08:35 AM   #1
(male)

rickdawson HB User
almost any fragranced / perfumed toiletries give me headaches. what should I get?

Does anyone know which toiletries I can use?
ie soap, shower gel etc. everyday stuff.

If I smell anything that has a perfume or other smell to it, I almost always get a headache from it.

Are there any products out there that I can use?

Old 07-29-2007, 02:27 PM   #2
(female)

marino50 HB User
Re: almost any fragranced / perfumed toiletries give me headaches. what should I get?

I have the same problem too! And it took me a while to figure out what was making me feel terrible and giving me headaches.

Toiletries: Dove has unscented body washes and bar soaps as well as Aveeno. Jasons Natural has fragrance free shampoos and conditioners and body lotions. If CeraVe cleanser and moisturizer are available where you are this is a wonderful line and unscented.

Clinique's entire line of skincare and make up is fragrance free and they have a men's line also.

I have stopped using fabric softner sheets in the dryer and that has helped alot too (leaves a film on bed sheets, clothes etc.)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2007, 06:07 AM   #3
(female)

iwunderu HB User
Re: almost any fragranced / perfumed toiletries give me headaches. what should I get?

I can't believe I found another human with the same issues I have! I joined this board just so I could reply. I've always felt like the freak.

I can tolerate a few scents and never know when they will turn on me. If you are like me and tolerate a little, I recommend smelling shampoos and hairsprays before you buy them. If you can't take any smell, you'll just have to keep your eyes open for unscented. Shampoo will be hard but deodorants and lotions are easy to find unscented.

I get headaches at the very least and migraines if I'm having a super sensitive day. I have had scented lotions that didn't bother me for months or even years and then one day get a migraine from them. I have given so many away to people because of this. It sucks to not be able to buy the fun girly scents.

I have found the scents that I can tolerate most times are light and on the natural side.

I am so bad that a food smell that lingers can give me a migraine sometimes. I have even had to complain about scents/people's perfumes at work in the past.

Good luck in your quest.

Old 07-30-2007, 02:27 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

osteoblast HB User

I am the same way too. I think that what they put in perfumes is poison to us. It's been so hard for me to accept that fragrances will just hurt me- but the headaches are the way that my body is telling me to stop using anything with a fragrance.

Old 07-31-2007, 09:02 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

wakkochic17 HB User

"I am so bad that a food smell that lingers can give me a migraine sometimes. I have even had to complain about scents/people's perfumes at work in the past."

ugh.. me too!! I have to yell at my boyfriend every time he cooks burgers and tacos in the house.. smells up the whole place! I have to burn candles to change the smell.
As for the toilletries part, I agree with smelling the shampoos ahead of time. It's easier now that it was in the past to find scent-free deoderant, soap and moisturizer. There is nothing worse though than getting a product home.. putting it on.. then getting a headache afterwards because of the smell!! I can deal with certain fruity smells.. but any kind of "perfumy" smell gives me HORRIBLE headaches. I use scent free laundry detergent and Bounce has scent free, dye free dryer sheets that we use.

Old 07-31-2007, 10:16 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

My mom is the same way! She just looks for fragrnce free products. She also has rosacea so it's hard for her to find products gentle enough for her face. Look for products with more natural ingredients, fragrance free, and non-irritating. You can always see a dermatologist and get products through the derm if you are having trouble finding things that work for you at the store.

Luckily I am able to wear scented products, but only certain ones! Anything floral or too perfume-like gives me a migraine so I have to stick with fruit or sweet scented things. Chocolate gives me migraines, even the scent of it if I'm baking cookies or brownies for somebody... migraines are definitely no fun!

Closed Thread