It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2007, 06:45 PM   #1
(female)

satine HB User
need help with oily/dry hair

I have a huge problem with dry ends and oily scalp and I'm wondering if anyone has tips on how to deal with it. My hair is so oily that I have to wash it every day and if I don't it becomes even more oily. I have tried Aussie's shampoo for oily scalp and dry ends and it worked okay for a while but it started making my hair really oily. I've tried products from Neutrogena, Clairol Herbal essence, VO5,etc and some of them worked okay, but nothing spetacular. The best condition my hair was ever in was when I went to Watanabe's Hair salon in Tokyo. I don't know what shampoo and condition they used, but my hair never felt so clean, light, silky and smooth before. I really wanted to go again and ask what they used but I returned to the US before I got the chance to make another appointment. After visiting that salon I knew it was possible for me to have gorgeous, excess oil free hair. If anyone have any advice for me I would love to know it.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long winded post

Old 11-26-2007, 06:44 PM   #2
(female)

divk HB User
Re: need help with oily/dry hair

do you use a good conditioner? i read somewhere that if you have excessively oily roots, you should use conditioner on your hair but avoid the scalp area.. i don't know if it works, since i have never tried. but since it was in a magazine, i'm sure it must have worked for someone!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-29-2007, 10:29 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

My hair is like this too because it's color treated, but my natural hair gets oily. Sounds funny, but one time my hair got overbleached and it was actually nice because it would NEVER get oily... just dry and at least it was only one thing to deal with!

I use Herbal Essences' body envy shampoo... I think any clear shampoo (not creamy kinds) will be good for your oily roots. Just concentrate the shampoo at the top and it will wash down to the bottom. No need to lather up the dry parts unless you are using a lot of hair product. I also like this body shampoo because sometimes oily roots can get flat, even with thick hair.

Then I find any conditioner I like... I have the matching body envy conditioner and also Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine, as well as other deep conditioners. Just put the conditioner on the bottom half of your hair and avoid the scalp. Leave it in for a few minutes to get extra conditioning... then rinse!

Hopefully this works for you... I still wash my hair almost every day, but my ends don't get dried out from this and the top doesn't get too oily. If I do notice my hair feeling more dry than usual (from extra styling) I will use the Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine shampoo as well since it's a bit more moisturizing.

Old 11-29-2007, 02:13 PM   #4
(female)

vsmom HB User

Ok,so when you wash every day....you are stripping the natural oils. The oil producing glands freak out and think that your scalp is so dry that they need to make more oil. So, even with all the washing you are getting more and more oily. And, all that shampooing is a killer for your ends as they are dying out like mad.
So, wash your hair every other day for a while and it will start to even itself out. I promise!!! See if you can put it up on the oily days, kind of hide it. It sucks but it will work.
Also, the brands at the grocery store are not pH balanced and they have sulfates in them that dry you out even more. Try to find sulfate free products. You pay more but they are so worth it, esp if you color. Only shampoo your scalp and only condition your midshaft and ends.
Keep me posted!

Old 11-29-2007, 10:03 PM   #5
(female)

satine HB User

Thanks for the advice. I've already tried skipping every other day with washing my hair but when I did that my hair became even more oily. I don't use any other products, including conditioners because they always make my hair greasy. Next time I go to the store I will look for any clear shampoos. Again, thanks to everyone for their imput

Old 11-30-2007, 08:09 AM   #6
(female)

vsmom HB User

Its so hard....I know. But if you can skip a few days, it will regulate itself, just not immediately. I know plenty of people who don't wash their hair but once a week. Just keeps things in balance. I would also really recommend professional products...can't say it enough. What does your hairdresser say?

Old 11-30-2007, 01:01 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsmom View Post
Its so hard....I know. But if you can skip a few days, it will regulate itself, just not immediately. I know plenty of people who don't wash their hair but once a week. Just keeps things in balance. I would also really recommend professional products...can't say it enough. What does your hairdresser say?
About how long did you have to wait for this to start working for you? I tried this for maybe about a month and it did not work for me!! I was fed up with my hair getting oily... and it just smells strange at the roots if I touch it. The only thing I could do to help was mist a hairspray over it to help with the oiliness, but my hair was impossible to style with flat, limp roots. I definitely washed my hair only like 2-3 times a week when it is bleached and it always stays so clean! I have bleach in my hair right now but not a lot, just with minimal highlights.

Old 11-30-2007, 01:40 PM   #8
(female)

vsmom HB User

Turrra.....I truly believe its all about your choice of products. Pro products are ph balanced and do what they say they are going to do. I would recommend sulfate free shampoos. Another option of dealing with that oil is to use a hair powder. bumble and bumble make an excellent one. it soaks up the oils and any odor and gives fantastic volume. Great product!

Old 11-30-2007, 11:17 PM   #9
(female)

satine HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsmom View Post

I haven't been to a hairdresser since I came back from Japan and whatever products they used on my hair worked wonders but sadly I didn't get a chance to ask what they used before I came back to the US. When I get the chance to go to a salon I'll ask for their opinion about my hair.

Old 12-02-2007, 12:08 AM   #10
(female)

esther25 HB User

I used this. It is very good effect for me. You will also try. Titbit Protein Hair Vitamin Spray. It is give the best care to the hair and scalp, leavint the hair soft resilience and shining beauty.

Old 12-02-2007, 06:21 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

BeaTrade HB UserBeaTrade HB UserBeaTrade HB UserBeaTrade HB UserBeaTrade HB UserBeaTrade HB User

That skipping days when you have oily hair is nothing more than an old wives tale! I have extremely oily hair and very fine hair so the next day there IS NO GOING WITHOUT WASHING! It's disgusting and I would never go in public with greasy hair like that and plus not only is it greasy, it stinks too and my scalp itches! So anyone that says you have to just skip days has NEVER dealt with super oily hair before and doesn't know what they are talking about! My EX mother in law tried telling me I shouldn't wash my hair every day until I spent the night with them one time and she saw my hair the next morning and actually changed her tune as it looked like someone put oil in my hair as I slept!

When you shampoo, you need to shampoo just the scalp and always use a conditioner and concentrate that on your ends.

Old 12-02-2007, 06:43 AM   #12
(female)

vsmom HB User

Bea, sounds like you've got it way worst than most. Ive just seen it work time and time again. Everyones different. I agree tho about just shampooing your scalp and conditioning your midshaft and ends.

Old 12-02-2007, 12:15 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

I agree about shampooing only the scalp as well! When I rinse out my hair, the ends get enough shampoo coming down this way. Every now and then I shampoo all of it, like when I use mousse in my hair to create waves, to make sure I get all of the product out.

Vsmom, what are your favorite sulfate free brands? I have used professional products as well as store brands, and still one of my favorites has been Garnier Fructis. I just bought the Sleek & Shine Sheer and really like it a lot. My favorite pro product was probably Biolage, but some other kinds, like Bed Head products and Graham Webb, ended up not working for me. Graham Webb did nothing for my hair and did not moisturize enough even with the one for color treated hair (which was meant to moisturize) and Bed Head worked well for about a week and then seemed to not work for me afterwards. Bummer since they smelled so good!

Old 12-02-2007, 07:39 PM   #14
(female)

vsmom HB User

I love the Deva products. They are marketed towards curly hair but are great for anyone. The shampoos don't lather at all which is kind of hard to get used to but its all mental. I also love moisture line (can't think of the name) by Lanza. Smells good, feels good and adds a ton of moisture.

Old 12-03-2007, 03:45 PM   #15
(female)

satine HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaTrade View Post
That skipping days when you have oily hair is nothing more than an old wives tale! I have extremely oily hair and very fine hair so the next day there IS NO GOING WITHOUT WASHING! It's disgusting and I would never go in public with greasy hair like that and plus not only is it greasy, it stinks too and my scalp itches! So anyone that says you have to just skip days has NEVER dealt with super oily hair before and doesn't know what they are talking about! My EX mother in law tried telling me I shouldn't wash my hair every day until I spent the night with them one time and she saw my hair the next morning and actually changed her tune as it looked like someone put oil in my hair as I slept!
Looks like you have the same problem I do. My hair is also fine and my scalp also gets itchy and even more oily if I don't wash it.

I have tried using conditioner at the end of my hair and my hair still comes out incredibly oily. This is why I avoid using it.

Closed Thread