It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2008, 08:39 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User
brown spots

I have brown spots on my forehead, nose, chin and upper lip. Of course, due to sun damage. You can't really see the nose and chin, but the upper lip makes me look like I have a mustache (or may just look that way to me)-the forehead is covered with my hair. I know it is all about prevention now, but what can I do to help them go away?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2008, 08:41 PM   #2
(female)

ljenner831 HB User
Re: brown spots

I get those brown spots too during sunny warm weather and in the same spots. My dermatologist does prescribe me a cream that bleaches it. He says it happens frequently to women in their 20s and 30s who take birth control.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2008, 10:18 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

well, started before I hit 30 and I turn 31 this year. I use depo though, don't know if that counts for bc. can you tell me the name of the cream? I may see if my physician might do the same-or suggest an OTC similar (is that allowed on here? Can't remember)

Old 05-02-2008, 06:47 AM   #4
(female)

ljenner831 HB User

Mel- I am 31 as well, so that makes sense I am not sure if I can post the med or not but I'll try. My doctor gives me hydroquinone usp 4%. If you find anythign else that works well, please do let me know! I hate those brown patches!

Old 05-03-2008, 02:43 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

thank you and I sure will!

Old 05-18-2008, 07:59 AM   #6
(female)

Texanne HB User

I've had great luck over the three or four years with a product called "PCA HQ pigment gel 13" or something like that. It has 2% hydraquinone combined with kojic acid and azeliac acid; I like it because it is a gel, and somewhat drying. You can also go to the beauty section devoted to ethnic beauty products and find an skin lightener cream called Nadinola's. It is 3% hydraquinone; the highest OTC version of HQ that I've ever seen; and it has a sunblock in it. If you use one of these products religiously, you should see results in weeks, but you need to use a very good, broad spectrum sun block. Also, were a hat when possible. I keep a large golf umbrella in the car, but I still get caught in the sun sometimes. Just a few minutes in the sun without UVA/UVB block will undo all the work you've accomplished in months. Frustrating I know, but I've been dealing with this for several years. My kids would say, "Mom, you've got a mustache!". There was no hair there, but the skin pigment was darker. That's pretty much gone now; I also get a jawline discoloration, which is really yucky. The PCA has helped a lot, but it something I battle all the time. Best advice: Keep your face out of the sun!

Good luck!

Last edited by Texanne; 05-18-2008 at 02:45 PM.

Old 05-19-2008, 05:02 AM   #7
(female)

ladylynn90 HB User

Now a days you can get rid of solar pigmentation by using certain very strong creams. The best treatment for pigmentation is going to your cosmetician and getting a very deep facial scrub. Your skin peels afterwards and the pigmentation is removed with the top layer of your skin.

Old 05-28-2008, 03:54 AM   #8
(female)

beaddazzled HB User

I get brown spots and have had them since I was a teenager. I am now 38. Heat does seem to make them worse. I did learn a trick-buy the original Selsun Blue shampoo formula and rub some on each area of brown spots (rub it in really good), leave it on overnight (I know it smells horrible, but it's worth it). Wash off the next morning and within the next few days they will be gone. If they are not light enough, repeat the procedure. It usually lasts for several months. My brown spots are tinea versicolor, I don't know if we are talking about the same thing, but it would be worth a try.
Michelle

Old 06-10-2008, 11:45 AM   #9
(female)

jjbecker HB User

My dark brown spots from sun damage have been lightened up a lot since using MaMa Lotion a couple of months ago. I couldn't be happier. It helps pores and skin tone and makes my face look firmer. I love that stuff.

Closed Thread