It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2008, 09:27 PM   #1
(female)

carisa77 HB User
upper lip discoloration (mustache)

I take birth control for 4 years total. I have 2 kids. I am blonde with light skin. I have only white hair in this area. My friend says it looks like I have a soda stain. Why all of a sudden do I have a mustache? I use Clarins cover up. I will not leave the house with out it. I can still see discolaration after applying. No one would be able to see unless looking for discoloration. It is very dark with out cover up. Everyone can tell. HELP!

Old 06-05-2008, 02:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

EllieFrog HB User
Re: upper lip discoloration (mustache)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carisa77 View Post
I take birth control for 4 years total. I have 2 kids. I am blonde with light skin. I have only white hair in this area. My friend says it looks like I have a soda stain. Why all of a sudden do I have a mustache? I use Clarins cover up. I will not leave the house with out it. I can still see discolaration after applying. No one would be able to see unless looking for discoloration. It is very dark with out cover up. Everyone can tell. HELP!
I have read and heard many times that birth control causes this. I don't know why but if you look it up on the BC board you will find lots of women with the same problem.
I took BC for a couple of years and got a bit of discoloration but it's not obvious at all so it might just be me overanalyzing it.

I've heard conflicting info on this. Some people say that if you stop taking bc the problem gets better, but others say that it doesn't make a difference. I'm not sure, but if I were you I'd ask the doctor who prescribes your BC.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2008, 12:39 PM   #3
(female)

chris031181 HB User

I am having somewhat of the same situation! I have a dark ring around my upper lip! It seems darker some days and lighter others but it won't go away!!! It is getting to the point that I don't want to leave the house. It looks like a mustache but I don't have hair there. The sun seems to make it worse! Does anything over the counter help?

Old 06-13-2008, 06:03 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

BeaTrade HB UserBeaTrade HB UserBeaTrade HB UserBeaTrade HB UserBeaTrade HB UserBeaTrade HB User

Have you tried a skin bleaching cream like Porcelana? I had some sun spots on my cheeks, from a combination of the pill and too much sun, and all I did was put that fade cream on them a few times and it faded them right out. Of course if you go out in the sun without a good SPF they WILL come right back. I don't see why the fade cream wouldn't do the trick.

I also notice that if I go in the sun unprotected, I get blotchy spots but if I use an SPF I get a nice pretty even tan!

Old 06-13-2008, 07:47 AM   #5
(female)

chris031181 HB User

No, I havent tried any bleaching creams yet! That was my next question! Are there some better than others?!?! I am willing to spend what I have to to take care of this for good! Does the cream that you suggested cause any peeling or weird side effects? Then again, I dont know how much weirder my face can look. LOL- Is is expensive and where do I need to go to her it?

Old 06-14-2008, 05:54 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

BeaTrade HB UserBeaTrade HB UserBeaTrade HB UserBeaTrade HB UserBeaTrade HB UserBeaTrade HB User

I simply went to Walmart and got one called Porcelana...I checked the active ingredient and got the one that was the strongest...normally what I do is see what the percentage of the active ingredient is...compare all and buy the one that's the cheapest but still has the same percentage of active ingredient as the more costly one. It was not expensive at all...probably less than $6 and I haven't even made a dent in the jar and it's probably 2 years old! I have extremely sensitive skin and I have not had any skin irritation whatsoever! My husband has also used it on some age spots on his forehead and has not had any irritiation either. The one I have is active ingredient: hydroquinone 2%. I suppose to be safe you should do a patch test first...seems like it actually mentioned this in the instructions but of course I didn't do it. HA! I know that in cosmetology they do the patch test in the fold of your elbow or behind the ear.

Old 06-14-2008, 08:41 AM   #7
(female)

Texanne HB User

If you do a search on this board for sun spots, brown spots, melasma, you will get the wisdom of dozens of people, fast! There are lots of posts about this; it must be quite common.

Old 06-16-2008, 10:03 AM   #8
(female)

chris031181 HB User

So, did the stuff you bought from Walmart really work well for you? How severe was yours? I am going to Walmart tonight!!! That makes me happy!

Old 06-16-2008, 10:34 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

I had ugly blotches(like giant freckles) on my cheeks and this bleached them totally gone after just a few uses. They will come back if I go out in the sun without sunscreen though.

Last edited by BeaTrade; 06-16-2008 at 10:34 AM.

Old 06-16-2008, 01:38 PM   #10
(female)

chris031181 HB User

So sorry for all of the questions...I just want to make sure I am doing this right and don't make it worse...lol. Do you use it everyday or just when it looks worse?

Old 06-16-2008, 02:34 PM   #11
(female)

Texanne HB User

There is a product in the ethnic beauty section at Walmart called Nadinola; it has the same ingredient, hydroquinone, at 3% (extra-strength formula) + sunscreen. It was only a few dollars, too.

Old 06-16-2008, 02:51 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sounds good, I'll have to look when I run out of what I have...or it was probably go bad way before I use it up! HA! Mine was only 2% so that should be better...good luck! I hope it works as well for you!

OH don't worry about the questions...I'm the queen of confusion and questions...HEEHEE! I would just say that if you have sensitive skin(probably even if you don't)...try it first somewhere besides your upper lip to make sure it doesn't turn your skin red. My husband and I both are very sensitive and this didn't irritate our skin any.

Last edited by BeaTrade; 06-16-2008 at 02:54 PM.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:48 AM   #13
(female)

chris031181 HB User

Okay! So I went to Walmart and bought that skin cream and used it last night before bed and when I got up this morning. I am so hoping this works! It wasnt expensive at all so that made me happy! They had one left on the shelf! I think it's a sign! LOL Anyway, I will let you know how it turns out! I dont think it can get much worse! Thanks again for the advice and suggestions! It is so nice to see others going through it too and can offer their opinions and advice! I would have been still sitting her whining about it! Thanks again!!!!

Old 06-19-2008, 01:41 PM   #14
(female)

Texanne HB User

Make sure and use a uva/uvb sunscreen all the time; it seems if you let your sunscreen go too long, or your face makeup spf isn't strong enough, it can come back in 20 minutes! I work out in the yard, and exercise everyday outside, and even wearing a hat and mega sunscreen, it gets worse everytime I'm outside. Mine is like a beard and a 'stache! Urg...

Old 06-20-2008, 11:27 AM   #15
(female)

chris031181 HB User

I will definetly keep that in mind! I was out this weekend in the sun for seriously about 10 minutes and it got really bad! It was awful! How long did it take for results to show?

Closed Thread