It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2008, 09:32 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Dark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB User
What color will hair dyed red fade to?

By "red", I don't mean natural red. I mean a bright candy red, like this. I figure it will probably fade out to a reddish-orange color. Has anyone ever dyed their hair bright red? What did it look like when it began to fade out? I'm just wondering if it will turn out more orange or pink when that initial bright red loses its glow.

If it helps at all, I intend to use Manic Panic hair color.

Old 07-19-2008, 04:29 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

chocolate29 HB Userchocolate29 HB Userchocolate29 HB User
Re: What color will hair dyed red fade to?

My sister has dyed her hair that color lots of times and it fades out to a bright strawberry blond. She gets it almost candy red when she colors it, then it takes about a week and it's lighter.
It tends to turn out more orangey than pink. (for her)

Last edited by chocolate29; 07-19-2008 at 04:30 AM. Reason: left something out

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-19-2008, 08:36 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Dark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB User

Thanks chocolate29.

I kind of figured it might fade out to orange. I realize I am basing my assumptions on one person's experience, but I think it makes more sense for red dye on blonde hair (or something light enough to be noticeably dyed) to fade out to orange rather than pink.

Old 07-19-2008, 07:36 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Okay, now I'm starting to debate over the red and am strongly considering dying my head bright purple instead. I went to a nearby store where Manic Panic dye is sold (not Sally's, not Hot Topic) and the cashier said when the purple fades out, it would be a slightly funky shade of brown, which I can deal with.

Now the issue is deciding what color I want. Through the magic of photo manipulation, I have a good idea of what each color will look like and they both look really cool.

Old 07-20-2008, 01:39 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

chocolate29 HB Userchocolate29 HB Userchocolate29 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Stranger View Post
Okay, now I'm starting to debate over the red and am strongly considering dying my head bright purple instead. I went to a nearby store where Manic Panic dye is sold (not Sally's, not Hot Topic) and the cashier said when the purple fades out, it would be a slightly funky shade of brown, which I can deal with.

Now the issue is deciding what color I want. Through the magic of photo manipulation, I have a good idea of what each color will look like and they both look really cool.
I bought some purple Manic Panic dye but that was just to put a streak or two in my hair. My hair is medium brown so I barely saw purple. What it did is turn the streaks to sort of like a light black'ish color. What is your color now?
I say, just have fun. What color do you like better? Do one color now and then one color later, lol.
Before I got purple Manic Panic I bought razzy red one. So far the razzy red is my fav because it leave bright'ish pink streaks in my hair which I like.
It's fun.

Old 07-23-2008, 08:42 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Re: What color will hair dyed red fade to? UPDATE

For some reason, I decided to get a different brand than what I usually get. So, instead of Manic Panic, I got something called Beyond the Zone in the shade of purple I wanted. I covered every inch of my hair with a decent coating of the dye and left it on for a half hour (the bottle says 10-20 minutes is okay). Most of the actual color washed out, so I applied a second coat of dye...and most of that washed out 20 minutes later.

So, instead of vibrant purple, I now have a really odd shade of grey. The dye didn't even rinse out evenly -- the ends are grey and the top is still blonde, even though I applied the dye quite liberally to the top of my head.

The kicker? The brush I used to apply the dye turned bright purple.

I'm going to ask my hairdresser if I can dye over this mess with Manic Panic. If not, I'll probably have to dye my head black to cover up this disgusting grey.

Closed Thread