It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2008, 04:30 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

EllieFrog HB User
Cost For Root Touchups (Blonde)

Hey everyone,
My natural hair color is light to medium brown, but I wanted to go blonde so I went to a hair stylist and got full highlights. Since I have really, really thick, long hair it cost $120 to get full highlights the first time. It worked great but it wasn't quite as light as I wanted it to be. So the second time (about 7 weeks later) I went to get my hair highlighted again - full highlights. The second time it cost $110. I achieved the desired color and everything looks great. Most of my hair is blonde but I do still have a lot of my natural streaks - or "low lights" I guess. I kind of like that to keep my hair looking more natural and not totally platinum blonde.

Well, it's been about 4 weeks since I got my hair done the second time and I feel like I need to get it done again since the roots are showing way too much (imo).

When the stylist highlighted my hair the second time I had about 1.5 inch long roots (naturally that happens). So when she put in the second set of highlights only half of the roots got highlighted, the rest were left the way they were. It's not a big deal since most of them are hidden. But now that the new roots have come in, and the old ones have got even longer I feel that my hair doesn't look as good as I want it to.

I want to get it done again but I don't know how much I can expect to pay. Since I've pretty much achieved the desired color overall I want to just get my roots touched up... and all of them not just half. I really hate when major roots are showing, it looks awful. It hasn't even been that long, like I said, only about 4 weeks and I want to get my hair done again soon.
How much should I expect to pay for just a root touch up? I really can't afford to pay over $100 every 6 weeks for this. That's kind of outrageous. I'm hoping that a root touchup doesn't cost that much.

I plan on calling the place maybe in a week or two to get it done again and hopefully they'll be able to give me an estimate. But I would still like to get opinions from those of you who have had this done.
What should I expect to pay? And how does root touchup work? I've never achieved blonde hair by highlighting before.
My stylist mentioned something about using a cap but I don't know what that means exactly.

Last edited by EllieFrog; 07-22-2008 at 04:32 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-22-2008, 10:50 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User
Re: Cost For Root Touchups (Blonde)

I had someone use a cap for highlights and did NOT like the results! My highlights were way too thin and barely showed up. It's also not the best for long hair, as it can get tangled up. What they do is put on a shower cap looking thing with many holes in it. You pull bits of hair through the holes and all the parts that come through get colored. I was much happier getting foils because they show up better!

Most likely, if you get your roots done a solid color, it should be much less. Of course every salon has different costs, but I hear many that do regular color for $50-60ish or so. To keep the highlighted look though, coloring the roots all one color may not work. I had a stylist who would only highlight my roots for most sections and would do less than half of them all the way down. She did a great job making them blend in and making them match, but she is the only hairstylist that has been able to do it right for me without making the bottom much lighter than the top! Too bad she moved!

As a natural brunette, highlighting every 1-2 months worked for me as I went blonde from lots of highlights. If it gets too expensive, you may want to consider not going AS light, since new growth will blend in more. When I go for about half blonde/half natural color mixed in together, my roots blend in really well and I can go about 3 months before touch ups.

Good luck! I hope they are able to do your roots for cheaper without having to do full highlights again! It sure does get pricey!

Old 07-24-2008, 01:37 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

EllieFrog HB User

Thank you so much, that helps a lot. I doubt that she would put more highlights in my hair since it is pretty much blonde... I'd say close to 85% is all blonde, the rest are natural streaks that give it a bit more variation. If she put more highlights into it I think my hair couldn't handle that. The first time it was fine, the second time I got highlights a lot of hair broke off (which I don't mind since I have so much hair anyway). So now that a lot of it is super blonde it gets dry really quickly and I have to put a lot more product and conditioner to keep it from feeling and looking like fake Barbie hair (that's the best way to describe it, haha).

I doubt that she's going to use a cap then since my hair is almost halfway down my back. Pulling it through those holes wouldn't work. She's probably just going to do foils again. Hopefully the roots will look better and it won't cost as much.
Thanks!

Old 07-24-2008, 04:09 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

I hope that works out for you! Yeah, I think the cap wouldn't give you enough highlights at the roots of your hair and there would be too much dark parts left over... PLUS the one time I got the cap used, it left my roots darker! It seemed like they couldn't get the roots all the way done since that plastic cap was in the way. Foils definitely get closer to your scalp.

I'd just talk to your hairstylist about it! Tell them you would like to cut down the cost and see what your choices are. I'm sure they can work something out to keep a good customer coming back! Your hair sounds a lot like I used to have mine... people thought I was a blonde if they didn't know me before I did the highlights since I had so much put in. My hair also went through the same damage after one lady put in platinum colored highlights and I had some breakage, but lucky us for having thick hair!

Old 07-24-2008, 10:49 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

EllieFrog HB User

Exactly. I have pretty much platinum highlights and my hair is really light, but there are also a lot of natural streaks left in so it looks like natural blonde hair. It definitely looks a lot better then my natural brown color. I should have been born a blonde

My hair stylist is awesome though so I'll definitely talk to her about it. She spends nearly 3 hours on my hair every time I get it highlighted and does an awesome job so I'm sure she will do a great job on my roots as well.
Thanks!

Old 07-25-2008, 01:05 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Dark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB User

Oh my gosh, do not let them put the plastic bag on your head to touch up the roots. I had that done the first time I needed my roots re-bleached and it was so, so painful. My roots were extremely long, so I had to sit for about an hour and a half getting my hair yanked, and then another 20 minutes getting all the knots combed out.

My hairdresser now will just apply bleach with a brush to my head and leave it on for 20 minutes - very painless, but a little itchy. Prices might depend on where you live and who you go to, but my hairdresser charges $35 for re-touching.

Old 07-25-2008, 03:35 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Wow! What a deal... that's great and I wish I could find a salon like that!

Old 07-26-2008, 01:59 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

EllieFrog HB User

Thanks for the input!
My hair stylist knows my hair pretty well by now (how thick, long, and how it's just difficult in general lol). It's too long to pull through that cap. I'm sure it would take hours and I doubt that she would enjoy dealing with that. Plus it tangles so easily since the blonde streaks are thinner and much more fragile.
When she dries my hair (a half hour long process) it tangles up really easily so I'm sure the cap thing would make things so much worse.

I'll definitely tell her not to do the cap though I'm sure that, from experience, she'll know better.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:29 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

EllieFrog HB User

Ok, so recently I found out that my hair stylist doesn't work at the salon anymore - right before I was to set my appointment. Great. But at least I got 25% off the next appointment. So I set an appointment the other day and in the process asked about the cost for root touch ups. The girl said it'd be about $50. Cool.

So I went. Got a new girl to do it. She was nice and all; asked what I wanted; I said I wanted to just touch up my roots nothing else. She said okay but suggested lowlights. I said I didn't really want to add more color to it - not blonde or brown - since I'm happy with the current blonde (mostly blonde but some variation of my natural color being mixed). Well, she said that this time it's okay to just do the roots, but next time I'll definitely need some lowlights added because the brown/natural streaks are starting to "disappear." If I want variation I need lowlights.
That makes no sense to me. How can they disappear? I mean yea, the more I get my roots touched up, the more that will happen. But I have very long hair so I don't see the problem right now.
Then after starting on my hair she asked if I thought of going totally one color. I said not really since I like variation in my blonde hair, and I think being all one color may be harder to maintain, and more expensinve since I'd have to dye it more frequently.
She said yea, that's what happens to her cousin who went blonde, now she has to get the roots touched up every 5 weeksv (yikes!). Anyway... she did the roots. Started drying my hair and realized that she needed to tone it a bit. (Weird. She said she had a lot of experience and how other girls tone the hair right away when they shouldn't, because if you wait the right about of time the hair should turn out okay. Well, it didn't. So I guess she must have screwed up just like the other girls.)
It turns out that touching up roots didn't cost $50, but $70 (without a tip). Still, too expensive if you ask me... and I don't get why she jacked up the price that much. Maybe because she conditioned my hair twice? I have no clue. Thankfully I had that 25% off so it ended up being something around $52.

Anyway, I'm glad it's over. I really love my hair. It looks awesome. Very blonde but still has some variations. I'm happy with what she did. But now I don't know what to do; put lowlights into it or dye it all one color and hope that it won't look awful or be impossible to maintain?
I'm just really confused because if I do lowlights I know it's going to cost probably like $100 again... and it will "dilute" my blonde, which I don't want to do. Or I can do it all one color and hope for the best?

I really wish I knew what they put in my hair... how to mix the color so I can just do it myself.
If anyone has any good advice on what I should do, please let me know. Thanks!

Closed Thread