It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2008, 12:01 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Dark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB User
Hair dye saga part II - streaky ugly hair

This is a spin-off of my previous topic dealing with hair dying.

I changed my mind and went with purple dye, and decided to try a new brand called Beyond the Zone. This was definitely a bad decision on my part because this dye turned my hair a muddy grey. Even with the application of two heavy coats of dye and leaving it in for an hour each time (the bottle suggests 10-20 minutes), I still ended up with a brownish-grey.

So, I sought the advice of the ladies at the local Sally's. The lady I spoke to pointed me in the direction of a product called ColorZap, which, from what I learned, is some sort of "gentle" bleaching kit that is made to remove the muddy ugly color I had going on. So I grabbed it along with my trusted brand of hair dye - Manic Panic.

I applied the ColorZap to the lower half of my hair since the top of my head remained somewhat blonde. I left the bleach on for 20 minutes - the maximum amount of time it should have been in, and it did absolutely nothing. My hair remained grey, even in the face of bleach. So I donned my rubber gloves and, brush in hand, applied the Manic Panic to my hideous grey hair in hopes of masking the messy grey.

The end result...well...I didn't expect it to be vibrant purple, and it wasn't. It turned out all different colors. The top of my head and random strands around my head turned out many shades of purple, but my hair remained mostly.....grey. I am shocked - Manic Panic is a hair stain and I have seen people with black hair see more noticeable results with this brand. And yet, the godawful grey managed to survive very liberal application of the Manic Panic.

So, here I sit with hair that is dozens of different colors and that looks horrible. I am tempted to go back to Sally's and get their blackest black hair dye to cover up this mess just so my head can be one color, but I would like to pursue some alternatives that could maybe fade my current colors faster. Something tells me that my grey hair would somehow stand the test of the black dye and show through again.

Here are some suggestions from others I have gathered:

- wash with any shampoo containing green pigments. For some reason, the chemicals that compose the green colors can help to fade out muddy colors and dyes in general.

- wash the hair with a deep cleansing shampoo that is mixed with enough baking soda to form a paste. Leave it on my head for 20 minutes, rinse, and then apply a deep cleansing conditioner and leave on for another 20 minutes. If this could work, can someone suggest some deep cleansing shampoos and conditioners? I am currently using Suave and White Rain.

Aside from bleaching, stripping, cutting and shaving, does anyone have any suggestions for ways of removing this stuff, or speeding up the fading process? If not, I'll be okay with dyeing the hair black, but I want to pursue other options first to see if I can get my blonde hair back.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2008, 01:27 PM   #2
(female)

Cup of coffee HB User
Re: Hair dye saga part II - streaky ugly hair

I would say that with all the money you've invested so far you should have gone to the salon, and I think that before you go back and buy another dye you might want to go to a salon and talk with a professional. I'd hate to see your hair start falling out because you're over processed it.

Good Luck

Old 07-25-2008, 01:39 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Dark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB User

I probably will go to a salon and ask the ladies (or gentlemen) there if I should just let it wash out on it's own or if it would be safe for me to add black dye or if they could do anything to at least make it all one color again. I know stripping the hair probably won't help since Manic Panic isn't actual dye, and I don't want to put more bleach on my hair at this point.

For now, I may try sticking with the green shampoo thing and washing my hair every day or a couple of times a day and see if I can get some of this color out.

I didn't know I could damage my hair with excessive dye...will make a note of that. Thanks.

Old 07-26-2008, 11:08 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Okay, I visited some local salons and asked opinions on what to do about my hair. I got conflicting answers - one hairdresser said to not dye my hair anymore because it would damage my hair too much, one said I could dye my hair black if I wanted to, but that the grey/brown dye residue may never fully come out if I wanted to dye my hair a lighter color.

I used the rest of my dye last night and managed to cover up some of the streaks, so it's bearable for now.

I've been finding a lot of do-it-yourself removal techniques that seem reasonable. One of them is to wash with dandruff shampoo or with laundry detergent. I may try the baking soda thing to see if I get any results. I know it will not remove the color completely, but if I can fade it out faster, I can deal with waiting for the remaining muddy color to come out from normal shampooing.

Old 07-26-2008, 04:44 PM   #5
(female)

Texanne HB User

I have heard hairdressers (friends of mine) recommend Tide detergent, for really bad home jobs...

Old 07-29-2008, 09:21 AM   #6
(female)

strawberri HB User

Hi, what color was your hair before the Beyond the Zone?

Whatever you do, first you should use a strong cleansing shampoo (make sure to use a deep conditioner after) a few times to remove some of the color buildup. Paul Mitchell makes Shampoo 3 for this purpose. (And Joico K-Pak reconstruct is great, because your hair will get dried out.) Since you say they are only stains some of the color should wash out.

- wash with any shampoo containing green pigments. For some reason, the chemicals that compose the green colors can help to fade out muddy colors and dyes in general.

I have to say that that advice is very wrong. Green cancels out red tones in hair, brassiness. Green is a lot more drab on the color scale and would make muddy colors look even muddier. You actually probably need a high level (maybe a 8) RO or Red Orange to give your hair back some of the pigment that it has lost, before reapplying the purple.. I am guessing that you were bleached blonde before the purple was applied? To look beautiful and healthy hair has to have some degree of all three primary colors in it-- blue, red, and yellow. Grey is usually an effect of green, blue, or violet, so you most likely don't need anymore blue. To get a permanent vibrant purple (or even any natural shade of dark blonde-brown-black) you especially are going to need to get the gold and red tones back into your hair (this is what bleach pulls out as the hair lightens to yellow or white) first.

If you are just going to slap more purple on it I would suggest Inkworks because it is a vegetable dye and is non-harmful to the hair and washes out completely after a week or two of shampooing.

The part of all permanent hair color that makes it damaging is the developer, which blows open the cuticle so that the color can deposit into the hair shaft. Healthy hair is not compromised by this but hair that has been bleached, stripped, dried out, is already damaged and cannot handle the process as well.

I would wash it with the above for about a week, then use Paul Mitchell's PM shines 8 RO (for lighter) or 6 RO (for medium) depending on the level of your hair color now, as a filler, before applying Inkworks purple. Both of these products are completely non-damaging, as PM shines is a conditioning demi-permanent and Inkworks is a temporary color. Sally's does not sell PM though, you might order it online. Good luck.

Last edited by strawberri; 07-29-2008 at 09:35 AM.

Closed Thread