It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2008, 01:49 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

EllieFrog HB User
Sally Beauty GVP Product

I was recently looking into trying a new leave-in conditioner or some type of treatment that would work with my bleached hair (it always feels really dry a couple of days after I wash it).
So I looked up products at Sally Beauty and found the GVP Hair Reconstructor that is identical to Joico K-Pak. I've never used Joico but I've heard great things; it sounds like a good product and gets good reviews so I decided to buy this generic version (the ingredients are identical).
I looked at the instructions on how to use it prior to buying the product; these are the directions on the web: Apply to damp hair and massage. Comb through and style as usual.

I went to the store yesterday and bought this product. When I got home and looked at the bottle, the instructions on the back of it are different. It says to apply to damp hair, leave on for 3 minutes, and rinse (like any other regular conditioner). The reason I bought this product is because I thought it was a leave-in, however, now I find out that it is not.

So I don't know which directions to follow - apply to hair and rinse, or apply to hair and style? I bought another deep conditioner so I don't really need two. I also don't want to return it because it's still a good product and will probably work well for my hair.
I would much rather use it as a leave-in. So I'm wondering is it okay to use the product in small amounts and not rinse it out? I've used a deep condtioner as a leave-in before (in small amounts) because my hair was so dry and I didn't have anything else at the time. Is it okay to do this or do I absolutely have to rinse it out? I figure if it works as a regular conditioner, it can't hurt to leave it in as long as I use it sparingly.

Last edited by EllieFrog; 12-11-2008 at 01:50 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-11-2008, 02:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

BeaTrade HB UserBeaTrade HB UserBeaTrade HB UserBeaTrade HB UserBeaTrade HB UserBeaTrade HB User
Re: Sally Beauty GVP Product

Well I don't know about the Sally's product but when I used K pac a long time ago, you left it in and then rinsed it out. Maybe you are looking for a different Joico product? If I were you, I'd do a little bit more research and figure out which product you need and take that one back...Sally's takes stuff back without question.

Last edited by BeaTrade; 12-11-2008 at 02:30 PM.

Old 12-12-2008, 05:31 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

EllieFrog HB User

This is the only product that they have at Sally that is comparable to Joico. I looked it up more then once on the web and at the product that I bought just to make sure that I am not mistaken. I am not; the product that I bought is the same (name, packaging, info, etcetera) as the one I looked at on the web and decided to buy because it doesn't say to rinse it out. It even has ingredients listed on the back of both this product and Joico K-Pak just to prove that it is identical to the original (just costs a lot less).

I don't want to return the product since the store is located pretty far from where I live and it's just not worth the drive to return a product that will probably work well with my hair. I already used it on the ends of my hair as a leave in yesterday and I don't see any problems so I'll probably just keep using it as a leave-in.

Old 12-13-2008, 05:55 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

The worst thing that can happen if you leave it in (and it shouldn't), would be a bit of build up in your hair, which is easy to take care of, so I can go for it! I'd see how it works. I've left regular conditioner in my hair when I used to get very light blonde highlights. It actually worked well as a texturizer when I wanted to wear my hair wavy. I also did this for when being out in the sun to protect my hair.

Old 12-14-2008, 11:31 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

EllieFrog HB User

Yea, that's what I assumed. Since I only use it on the ends and not the roots the buildup shouldn't be a huge problem; plus I also use it in very small amounts to make sure that it doesn't weight my hair down.
I've also used regular or deep conditioner while on vacation because I don't feel like hauling around tons of products everywhere. It worked fine and made my hair really soft.
I'll probably just keep using it as a leave-in and get an actual leave-in next time I have to go back to the store for bleach. They have the GVP version of Paul Mitchell The Conditioner, which I've also heard good things about, so I'll probably try that.

Closed Thread