It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2009, 01:52 PM   #1
(female)

Jazzmine1212 HB User
Question Lighten Dark Brown Hair to Caramel color

I have been bleach highliting my dark brown hair for a while at a salon and now I don't want highlights anymore...I want to use a hair coloring product at home without bleach to just lighten it to a caramel brown (solid hair color no highlites)...I'm just afraid it will turn orange. What color name and product should I use for my hair to turn lighter without that orange color? I've heard it's possible to lighten hair without using bleach.

Old 01-17-2009, 09:18 AM   #2
(female)

21_cnp HB User
Re: Lighten Dark Brown Hair to Caramel color

I have dark brown hair, and on Thursday I went to the salon and had caramel highlights put in my hair. I love it, and it stands out put not in a bad way. I am not sure what it would look like with all over caramel color, but I think you would love caramel highlights.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2009, 08:37 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

I've always been able to lighten my hair to a lighter brown at home without any problems. It's usually when you try to go blonde at home that you would end up with the orange. I try to stick with a shade not way too far from my natural color. Try going from dark brown to medium, and then try going to light brown after a couple weeks or so (as long as your hair is in good condition). Also, I usually try to stick with a "neutral" light brown rather than a warm brown, so I avoid the red tones. My hair always seems to come out with a slight warm tint to it when lightening, so even the ash colors come out fine. Also, do a test strip first on the underside of your hair to make sure it comes out right! I like the Perfect 10 hair colors. I actually used "Dark Blonde" to get my hair a lighter shade of brown and it came out great. It kind of was a caramel color like you said you were looking to get. Make sure to also leave the color on for the max. amount of time. Leaving it on for too short can make it reddish.

Old 01-17-2009, 09:29 PM   #4
(female)

Jazzmine1212 HB User

How often do you have to use the Perfect 10 hair color? What do you do when your roots grow out? Do you reapply it to your whole head again or just the roots? Doesn't the Peroxide and Ammonia turn your hair orange/brass after a while? I thought it's better to use ones without Ammonia.

Old 01-18-2009, 04:11 AM   #5
(female)

imtupp HB User

For optimal results,knowing your natural haircolor is the best place to start, when determining which color to select.

FYI...color only lifts so far, at which point bleach is required. It is when you use a color that is far too light, in hopes of getting your desired result, you end up messing with the underlying pigment hence causing the brassiness and less than desirable results.

Personally i would go for the caramal highlites as opposed to the overall color, especially if you are doing a home job. You have so much more room for error with the highlited effect as the natural hair left in it will most likely balance out any brassiness that may still occur.

There are other things you need know before you get started so I'll check back to see if you are still looking for opinions or help, or if you've already jumped in and did it.

tup

Old 01-18-2009, 09:10 AM   #6
(female)

Jazzmine1212 HB User

Well I wanted to try coloring the whole head instead of highlites this time because they grow out so quickly and they're expensive. You mentioned you had some tips...I would love to hear them. I'm wondering if it's better to get a non-ammonia or peroxide color or a regular hair coloring box with both or one of those in it. Also I have fair/olive skin with Dark brown hair. Just want to lighten it to a caramel/lighter brown. What do you do about roots? Do you recolor the whole head? Is there anything special to buy for it? What product line and colors do you recommend? Thanks for your help. I just hate it when the brown fade and turns really brassy.

Old 01-18-2009, 12:17 PM   #7
(female)

imtupp HB User
Wink Re: Lighten Dark Brown Hair to Caramel color

I'm wondering if it's better to get a non-ammonia or peroxide color or a regular hair coloring box with both or one of those in it.
***You need peroxide in the color in order to lighten the hair. If you are doing deposit only(same color or darker than natural), the semi permanent will work.
Also I have fair/olive skin with Dark brown hair. Just want to lighten it to a caramel/lighter brown.
***If you could tell me your color in respects to someone famous, because dark brown means different things to different people...Say is it as dark as Eva Longoria? Dark brown in the eyes of a professional, is probably almost black in the eyes of a layman.

What do you do about roots?
***To begin with is your hair virgin, or is there still existing color? Important to know before starting application.

Do you recolor the whole head?
***Once the hair is colored your desired shade, any further color would involve applying color to your roots for probably 2/3 the time, followed by pulling it through to your ends( example... if the color requires 30 minutes processing time, section the hair from ear to ear, and from centre forehead to back of nape. Apply to each 1/4 starting the back 2 sections first, followed by the front 2 sections, set a timer for 15-20 minutes...at which time you comb it through to the ends(hope you saved enough color to do this). Set the timer for another 15 minutes.

Is there anything special to buy for it?
***If your hair is in poor shape, reconstructing it with protien would help to strengthen it in turn possibly helping the fadage factor. When hair is in poor shape, the cuticle won't stay closed, therefore causing fast fadage.

What product line and colors do you recommend?
***Not very familiar with non professional product, but will continue to help out the best I can. Keep in mind, if you are from the U.S., as a layman I believe you can purchase from a beauty supply, and this is the route I would go if in fact you can get away with it. Long and short of it is...chosing the correct color and peroxide strength to begin with, rather than putting on a very light shade in hopes of it going light enough is not the way to do it and would create as much if not more damage than bleaching your hair to begin with, because the majority of blonde shades require extra lift resulting in higher volumes of peroxide, and most definitely contain higher levels of ammonia.

Thanks for your help. I just hate it when the brown fade and turns really brassy.[/QUOTE]
***Let me leave you with this and hopefully it doesn't confuse you too much...And also remember to shower with a cooler temp as heat forces the cuticle open, hence aiding in color loss. Not shampooing for 24-48 hours also allows the cuticle to close, helping to minimize fading.

Good luck
tup

Old 01-18-2009, 10:42 PM   #8
(female)

Jazzmine1212 HB User

To answer some of your questions...

I guess I have hair and skin like Marisa Tomei...so it does look dark...not black but pretty dark. It's also kind of fine...definitly not thick or coarse.

Yes I do live in the USA.

My hair has always been pretty healthy.

Currently I have partial bleached highlites...almost almost blond...pretty pale. I hate the fact that my roots grow out in one month and you can see it. Also the highlites are not looking so great anymore. So that's why I want to color my whole head a lighter brown instead. I have these ugly dark brown roots showing now.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:11 AM   #9
(female)

imtupp HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzmine1212 View Post
To answer some of your questions...

I guess I have hair and skin like Marisa Tomei...so it does look dark...not black but pretty dark. It's also kind of fine...definitly not thick or coarse.
***Ya your hair is dark...How far are your h/l's grown out?
If not too much perhaps you can just tone the ends,with a semi-permanent color, to at least make it look a little better in the meantime. If you chose this route, I would apply 2/3 7.0(med blonde),1/3 6.8(dark toffee blonde)[Voila by Revlon is the professional product I use], and mix with a 10 volume or less developer. If the sales people know what they are doing they will be able to help you with the equivalent of another brand.
If there is too much regrowth, the procedure will be different...so let me know. I will try to get back to you much faster this time.

Yes I do live in the USA.
***Go to a beauty supply house. This may end up costing you as you will have to purchase your stuff separately, but keep in mind you will have product left for the next time...which is the next thing I wanted you to be clear on. Your hair is going to grow out just as fast as if it were h/led, so in all honesty lightening it to a caramel color isn't going to help your pocketbook. This is why I suggested the h/l with color as it is a much softer contrast. You will be able to go more miles with that solution.

My hair has always been pretty healthy.
***Protein would still be benificial to the h/l hair, prior to the color.

Currently I have partial bleached highlites...almost almost blond...pretty pale. I hate the fact that my roots grow out in one month and you can see it. Also the highlites are not looking so great anymore. So that's why I want to color my whole head a lighter brown instead. I have these ugly dark brown roots showing now.
***Let me know what you decide before I write out any other instruction.I'll check back within 2 hours to see if I should continue.

tup

Old 01-20-2009, 05:30 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

Quote:
How often do you have to use the Perfect 10 hair color? What do you do when your roots grow out? Do you reapply it to your whole head again or just the roots? Doesn't the Peroxide and Ammonia turn your hair orange/brass after a while? I thought it's better to use ones without Ammonia.
I would say about every 2 months, when my roots would start to show. Sometimes I'd go longer because the roots looked pretty natural, not noticeable as much as when I get highlights. The box says for coloring regrowth, to apply at the roots FIRST, then about halfway through, apply color to the ends. As for the question about orange/brass, this has not happened to me with this color. I think anyone with darker hair who tries to lighten several levels without using peroxide may get a little brassy, so I just change the color little by little. Another product that give me nice light brown hair that was not brassy at all was Garnier Fructisse. With all at-home haircolors, I experience SOME fading (this happens from the salon too), so it usually looks a bit darker at first. The Perfect 10 made my hair much smoother and shinier as well.

Old 04-13-2010, 02:16 PM   #11
(female)

liversangela31 HB User

Quote:
I have been bleach highliting my dark brown hair for a while at a salon and now I don't want highlights anymore...I want to use a hair coloring product at home without bleach to just lighten it to a caramel brown (solid hair color no highlites)...I'm just afraid it will turn orange. What color name and product should I use for my hair to turn lighter without that orange color? I've heard it's possible to lighten hair without using bleach.

Old 04-13-2010, 02:23 PM   #12
(female)

liversangela31 HB User

I have really dark brown hair that I colored myself and now that is getting close to summer I would like to lighten the color to it's natural such as a really light brown or carmel. What do it yourself haircolor would you recommend without doing highlights?

Old 04-13-2010, 02:24 PM   #13
(female)

liversangela31 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by liversangela31 View Post
I have really dark brown hair that I colored myself and now that is getting close to summer I would like to lighten the color to it's natural such as a really light brown or carmel. What do it yourself haircolor would you recommend without doing highlights?

Closed Thread