It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2009, 05:13 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

ellekay HB User
A few hairs on my chin????? What the...?

Ladies,

Is this normal? I am 28 yrs old, and have noticed more so lately that i have a few hairs on my chin. I need to pluck these, but does this make it worse????

But more importantly is this normal?

There not everywhere, but they're there, and before there used to be 2, and now there's like 5 or 6. So i'm thinking is the plucking making it worse?

Is this normal?

Old 01-21-2009, 06:17 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User
Re: A few hairs on my chin????? What the...?

It's normal to have a few hairs here and there, but if you notice a LOT more, it can be a hormonal imbalance. Plucking should be fine. The only negative is that a hair that has been there a while will appear lighter (from the sun or just with time), so a freshly grown in hair will appear darker, but that happens with any kind of hair removal. I just wouldn't shave them off or anything!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2009, 06:32 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

ellekay HB User

At what point do you think you have to stop and say, hang on this is not normal?

I'm not normally a hairy girl, and i dont have hair anywhere else on my face, only a few on my chin.
I just need to know at what stage do i panic?

Old 01-28-2009, 04:22 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

GravesGirl73 HB UserGravesGirl73 HB User

When I was younger i got a few on my chin too as do my daughters. Usually right before our periods we'd get them. They still do, I'm in menopause and they disappeared, one good thing anyway..if you keep getting more a doc can do a hormone test on you to see if you have too much testosterone.

Old 02-01-2009, 11:27 PM   #5
(female)

Eeps HB User

I'd say needing to pluck a couple of hairs once a month is normal. Needing to pluck everyday isn't. If the change is sudden instead of gradual, then that would be odd too.

Last edited by Eeps; 02-01-2009 at 11:28 PM.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:32 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Choice HB User

Actually, plucking (waxing, epilating, threading) hairs from areas in the male beard areas can stimulate new growth and cause the tweezed hair to strengthen. When your forcibly remove a hair, your body senses this as an injury. Blood rushes in to repair the damage. The hairs in the beard area are very sensitive to male hormones. (We all have male hormones, so it isn't necessarily a hormone imbalance causing the hair.) The blood that rushes in to repair the hair is carrying male hormones to these follicles acting like a fertilizer and producing a darker, coarser, and deeper hair. While the blood is going to the injured follicle, the surrounding inactive follicles (which are also sensitive to androgen/testosterone) are also receiving a healthy dose of fertilizer. This is why you are seeing more hair.

When is it a hormone imbalance? For a 28 year old woman, even tweezing a couple hairs a day is not abnormal. If you are spending 30+ minutes per day, then I would say it could be a hormone imbalance. But there are other causes as well. Most of us inherit our chin whiskers. There are many medications that cause growth. Birth control pills are a huge culprit, as well as diuretics, steroids, drugs used after organ transplants, seizure medication, the list goes on.

What to do? If you continue to forcibly remove the hairs, they will continue to get worse. If the hairs are not very coarse, bleaching may be an option. Trimming the hair with facial hair scissors (Tweezerman Professional Facial Hair Scissors or Tweezerman Professional Ear and Nose Hair Scissors are truly the best, I've tried at least a dozen different brands) is a very easy solution. I would NOT start using a depilatory for so few hairs. The risk of a chemical burn is too great. Shaving would be an option for more than a few hairs, but I wouldn't bother with what you have.

If you'd like to get rid of the hair permanently, electrolysis is the best option. Laser hair removal is not recommended for female facial hair unless it's a full, coarse, male patterned beard. A few hairs would be pretty inexpensive to remove permanently with electrolysis.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:41 PM   #7
(female)

amms2125 HB User

I have this dilemma. I am 25, and the hairs are thick, dark, coarse. They appear on my chin and neck. I get electrolysis 1x-2x a month but they keep growing back. I also have them on my nipples. If I would let them go, they would be VERY noticeable. I do take prednisone occasionally for my rheumatoid arthritis and am also on a couple other meds. I once had a VERY high progresterone level but then the next time it was normal. I suffer from advanced Celiac -- could this be the cause? I do have dark hair, hairy arms, some peach fuzz, but these hairs are quite different. Also, I have to shave my legs & female areas every day sometimes 2x a day. It's all very odd but other than that one time, hormone levels seem to be normal. Could another condition be causing this, or could it be related to one of the aforementioned conditions or meds? What about a thyroid condition? And since electrolysis isnt working, should I consider laser or just keep trying the electro? It's been a few months 1x-2x per month.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:56 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Choice HB User

Hi amms,

I typed a really long reply to you and my computer froze before I got it posted. It's late now, and I will try to answer you tomorrow more throughly if you have more questions, but the gist of my reply was this.

No laser on female face, unless it is a true beard. Look up, "paradoxical hypertrichosis after laser hair removal."

Both laser and electrolysis require 12-18 months to achieve permanency. Active follicles that are damaged via electrolysis/laser will never produce another hair. But, follicles that are currently inactive could be stimulated to grow completely new hairs in the future.

Consult with other electrologists if possible to compare and make sure you have the electrologist that is right for you.

I've never heard of a correlation between Celiac and hirsutism.

Thyroid imbalance can occasionally cause hair growth.

Most likely it is the prednisone. I have experienced this myself. I take a round of prednisone every couple years for asthma, and about a month later, there is new growth.

Closed Thread