It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2009, 04:00 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

GravesGirl73 HB UserGravesGirl73 HB User
What Product do you use on your hair before a flat iron?

I had my hair cut in a bob with it a little longer in the front, nothing dramatic...I tried the blow dryer and round brush and it's kind of hard, I find.. anyway, I tried my daughter's flat iron and it really made the style look nice. I just wonder about damage to your hair. I have it colored blonde.I remember ironing my hair back in the seventies and I think it wasn't too good for it, although it left it looking silky, like a flat iron. Are the sprays they sell for putting on before using one work?Are some better than others? Do you have to spray something on it at all? Thanks everyone!

Last edited by GravesGirl73; 04-02-2009 at 04:01 PM.

Old 04-02-2009, 06:09 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

catheryn HB User
Re: What Product do you use on your hair before a flat iron?

I use a redkin product...ohhh i can't remember the name. It's in a red spray can and it's designed for heat styling. It's between 15 and 20 bucks (canadian) or maybe cheaper. It lasts forever so that's why I can't remember how much I paid for it :P

It's excellent. You spray it in all over and brush your hair out and then flat iron it and it holds like a dream and irons out nicely but isn't crunchy like hairspray. You can even use it before you blow dry too!

You don't HAVE to use a spray though. I don't always use one. Usually if I want a more natural looking flat iron look I don't use the spray. It flattens out nicer with the spray though!

Last edited by catheryn; 04-02-2009 at 06:11 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2009, 05:07 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

Many brands make heat protectant sprays that work great! Redken does, as mentioned above, as well as Matrix, and pretty much MOST salon brands. Cheaper brands such as VO5 and Herbal Essences make them as well. I found that the sprays were nice if you didn't want to feel any product in your hair. If I felt that my hair was dry and/or damaged, I use a serum to keep it soft and protected, such as Biosilk Silk Therapy. I have a lesser expensive version of the Biosilk called So Silk that I got at my grocery store. I have a medium-sized bottle and it's lasted quite a long time! I also use this as a product for after a shower to keep my hair from getting tangled. If I decide to wear it with its natural texture, the waves look nicer with it too and I can skip gel or mousse.

Old 04-03-2009, 04:19 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

catheryn HB User

Redkin also makes a professional product you get at the salon. It's a full conditioning treatment that mixes proteins and a bunch of other stuff to strengthen and make your hair shine. When I went in a few weeks ago they suggested it because I use a lot of heat on my hair and my hair is super fine. Anyway, I had it done (took about 20 minutes or so) and my hair has been very shiny and stronger since. So you could look into that at any salon that uses redkin products if you feel your hair is getting stressed out by the heat. I will say though, it takes A LOT for my baby fine hair to get stressed out from heat, especially a flat iron so you shouldn't have too many worries in that regard

Old 04-04-2009, 09:57 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

Another tip is to make sure to keep the flat iron moving when straightening your hair. I don't really get damage from using an iron even WITHOUT products unless I let it sit in one spot for too long. You don't want to move the iron way too slow or it can scorch you hair. Just glide it through carefully and you can go over that section a second time, but if you need to go over it any additional times, let it cool down first to avoid burning. You can always work on another section and go back to it.

Old 04-05-2009, 06:43 AM   #6
(female)

eep113 HB User

I use a Matrix product but I usually end up dishing around $20 for a bottle that doesnt last very long. Any product that is especially made for heating/flat ironing will do and it says so directly on the bottle. All the products are the same to me, they all do the same job. I just personally love the Matrix one because it smells delicious.

Old 04-05-2009, 04:57 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks girls. I didn't want to spend a lot so I bought the got to be one for like 6 bucks. it says use on towel dried hair and before blow drying and flat ironing. So if you use mousse, you should put this stuff on last, right? Thanks for the tip about not keeping the iron for too long in one spot,just run it through. I guess it's not as bad as the good ole days of really "ironing" your hair! What a pain that was, draggin out the ironing board every morning, and you'd get like a crease in your hair a lot,cause picture like kneeling with your head sideways and trying to get the very top. It was so much better to get a friend to do it for you. I wonder who thought of it? LOL!

Old 04-05-2009, 09:09 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

That is funny! I couldn't imagine having to drag out the ironing board and iron to fix my hair!!

I hope the product you pick does the job well. The different ones I've tried all worked pretty well, and usually the scent is just different. I try to pick ones that go well with my shampoo/conditioner. Even the cheapest one I got for about $3 worked pretty well, I just switched to a serum rather than a spray because my hair has bleach in it and it tangles pretty easily. Yes, I'd put the spray on last, but it shouldn't make too big a difference as long as you are using it.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:37 PM   #9
(female)

Josee HB User

I use either Tresseme heat tamer protective spray (drugstores, walmart etc) or Beyond The Zone- Turn Up The Heat Protection Spray (Sally Beauty Supply). Both are great and cheap. Beyond The Zone adds more shine to your hair. Don't spray too close or too much otherwise hair can feel a bit greasy. I like both and alternate between them. It's important to use a heat protectant spray before flat ironing because it will help prevent damage to your hair. Hope this helped

Old 04-09-2009, 12:58 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

just one more thing..do you all just use it on wet hair, or can you use it on dry hair too, right before you flat iron? Should you just use it right before you blow dry it and that's it?

Old 04-09-2009, 01:03 PM   #11
(female)

jojo3314 HB User

my favorite product ever for this is Kenra thermal setting spray! it was seriously the answer to my prayers since my hair has always been damaged from flat irons. now i spray it on, run the flat iron over it and brush it out... my hair is like silk. honestly... try it.

Old 04-11-2009, 10:30 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

I've never heard of this, where can you buy it? The thing I don't like about the one I bought (got 2b) is that it comes out in a straight stream! Why don't they make it so it more spritzes out, so it covers more evenly?

Old 04-11-2009, 12:09 PM   #13
(female)

jojo3314 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravesGirl73 View Post
I've never heard of this, where can you buy it? The thing I don't like about the one I bought (got 2b) is that it comes out in a straight stream! Why don't they make it so it more spritzes out, so it covers more evenly?
you can buy it at Ulta... its spritzes out evenly, its a very good product.

Old 04-12-2009, 12:25 PM   #14
(female)

Josee HB User

I use my heat protectant spray on dry hair just before I flat iron it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravesGirl73 View Post
just one more thing..do you all just use it on wet hair, or can you use it on dry hair too, right before you flat iron? Should you just use it right before you blow dry it and that's it?

Old 04-13-2009, 04:56 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks guys for all your advice! I'll ask my daughter to pick that Kenra up for me, she lives near an Ulta, thanks jojo!

Closed Thread