It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2009, 01:02 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User
sore piercing

I've had pierced ears for many years without any problems. Recently, one of my piercings has gotten sore. I had been using headphones quite a bit and thought maybe that caused a problem. It is red and slightly swollen, mostly in the back of the ear. I have cleaned it with peroxide and soaked the earrings in alcohol. I've even tried putting neosporin on it. I took out the earrings and it seemed to be getting better, but as soon as I put the earring back in it got sore again. Any other suggestions? Thanks

Old 04-24-2009, 03:45 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User
Re: sore piercing

I've had this happen a few times, and it usually gets better pretty quickly! I just would suggest giving your ears a little bit of a break from earrings. They might not be infected (you can check at a piercing salon) and they might just be irritated. I've noticed that certain metals irritate my ears too. I can usually wear nickel just fine, but randomly may get irritated from certain pairs of earrings. Sterling silver is what most commonly irritates my ears for some reason. Gold sometimes makes the piercing look a little darker after I take out the earrings. You might want to wait about a week or so (or longer if you already have waited that long) before wearing any earrings and possibly buying a pair of sensitive ear earrings to wear afterwards at least for a little while. Also, be sure not to rub at your piercings too much either. Just clean them very gently with a gentle soap and water (in the shower works well) and try to not touch them to avoid further irritation.

If they continue to stay sore or get worse, I'd see a piercing salon to make sure they are not infected. A good piercer can help you with this and get you a special cleaner to clear up any infection.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2009, 02:11 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

EllieFrog HB User

I get that all the time but only with my silver earrings... and only in one ear. I have no idea why because I'm not allergic to silver yet this pair of earrings always creates that problem, and even sometimes gets infected even though I've had my ears pierced for years. I don't know why it happens, but when it does I clean it either with alcohol, peroxide, or a piercing cleaner and put the earring back regardless of the pain. I don't want the hole to heal and have to repierce it again, and I really like these earring so I don't want to not be able to wear them.
I find that any type of infection or allergic reaction goes away if you allow your body to fight it off... that's just my way of doing things though so I expose my body to the irritant. I know that most people probably don't do that but that's how I've fought off a few allergic reactions and am not longer having problems.

You might want to change your earrings if it really bothers you.

Old 05-02-2009, 12:36 AM   #4
(female)

PollyPage HB User

Hi, are you sure they are not just silver plated I found some earrings I thought were silver where actually silver plated and had got nickle in them.
I agree even though you like your earrrings and dont want the pericing to heal take them out for a bit keep your ear clean so as to prevent infection and try again later, or if you have other earrings put them in(just make sure your ears not infected first) to stop your piercing from healing.
The other thing I've done is to coat the back of the earring with clear nail varnish, you just have to be carefull

Old 05-02-2009, 10:01 AM   #5
(female)

KristaK HB User

My ears are pierced.
I have noticed that when I use headphones or lay on my head, my ears hurt just like yours.
What I'm trying to say is, yes this is normal. The headphones just caused your piercing to be irritated. Keep your earrings in so the hole wont grow up. But try cleaning them daily, with Alcohol, Peroxide, Neosporin, & Try to get some Ear Piercing cleaner. Hope this helps.

Old 05-15-2009, 08:15 AM   #6
(female)

Lizza HB User

I had the same problem before, when I had some new piercings. It was close to a nightmare (the situation), you have to make sure and avoid sleeping on the sore side. But at times, it's just unavoidable. I put iodine on it, peroxide and neosporin. But I went back to the piercing salon and told them what happened. And they sell a solution for problems like that. It's in a dropper form, and it's very cheap. If there's a piercing salon near you try buying that product, it's really effective.

Closed Thread