It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2009, 06:35 PM   #1
(female)

mommyof1angel HB User
Question Don't know what is the best sunless tanning lotion to use??

I am currently 25 yrs old. I have been tanning in tanning salons for 10 yrs. There have been times when I was going a couple times a week. Now a days I have been going 1 every 2 weeks +/-. Once in awhile twice a week. I know tanning booths are not good for my skin along with all negatives it brings. Thats why I'd like to almost eliminate it completely and use sunless tanning lotion. I never have before so I have no idea which brand actually works good. I've seen people that have used them and ended up looking orange or blotchy. So I have been trying to find someone who uses sunless tanning lotion or at least has tried it before and had good results. Another thing for me is I would like to use one that I can use on my face. Anyone out there who can help me. I would appreciate so much. And if you need any advice on a subject let me know maybe I can help. Thank you very much!!:

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-29-2009, 09:00 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

EllieFrog HB User
Re: Don't know what is the best sunless tanning lotion to use??

Just to let you know that all tanning lotions are virtually the same. They ALL contain a chemical called dihydroxyacetone - which is the chemical that turns skin brown. Some tanners just contain more or less of it depending on the level of darkness that it's supposed to produce. The only difference between tanners is the amount and type of other ingredients - ones that affect color of the lotion itself, scent, etc.
How your skin reacts to one tanner is the same way that it will react to all of them. If it looks orange to you, than it doesn't matter which tanner you get, it will still produce the same results.

The best thing you can do before trying a tanner is exfoliating really well in the shower. Make sure to moisturize your skin about 30-60 minutes before applying the tanner; that will ensure that your skin is smooth and moisturized so the tanner will glide on smoothly and your tan won't look patchy. Use it sparingly on wrinkled/dry areas such as knees, elbows, tops of hands and feet. Apply a light coat and wait till the color develops; that way if you miss spots or it's not dark enough you can reapply till you achieve the desired shade. Once you achieve the desired shade than you can reapply the lotion once every couple of days. You have to make sure that you exfoliate lightly before each application otherwise the tan will fade unevenly and there is nothing worse than having patchy, diseased looking skin. (I've experienced that way too many times.)

As far as the face is concerned... they are all the same. There is nothing extra special about tanners that are labeled "for face"... it's the same thing as the lotion designed for the body, just more expensive and comes in a much smaller bottle/tube. It's a great marketing strategy and nothing more. The companies know that facial skin cells shed faster since most people wash their face more than the rest of the body, so the lotion needs to be reapplied more frequently. They put the regular tanning lotion into a tiny bottle, slap on a huge price, and market it as "for the face" when in reality it's exactly the same as the stuff labeled "for the body." Just a great way for them to make money.
If you are going to use a tanner on the face make sure to also exfoliate your face. Avoid applying it around the hairline, eyebrows, and lips because the tanner tends to collect in those areas and make them darker... you'd look like you're wearing a weird, dirty mask.
I personally don't use self-tanners on the face because I wash my face and exfoliate my face frequently, so the tanner fades pretty quickly - in like a day or two and that's just not worth it for me... plus I don't like the way that it looks. I prefer to tan my body and I just use a makeup bronzer on my face to even things out... or I've also used a darker shade of foundation than usual... that can work okay but you have to be careful with application so that it doesn't look fake and caked on.

Basically, what you need to know is to exfoliate well and frequently after reach application. Use sparingly around certain areas. All tanners are virtually the same... they all produce the same color and have an obnoxious smell (thankfully that washes off in the shower). And don't bother buying a separate one for the face, you'd be throwing your money away.

[I personally use L'Oreal Sublime Glow because it produces the right amount of color in one application, and I like that it contains shimmer so it makes skin shiny and healthy in appearance.]

Last edited by EllieFrog; 05-29-2009 at 09:08 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-29-2009, 09:09 PM   #3
(female)

mommyof1angel HB User

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll give the one you use a shot. I probably won't use it on my face. What I'll do is use a tinted moisturizer or something like you mentioned. Again, I appreciate you taking the time to share your advice with me. *Mommyof1angel*

Old 05-30-2009, 10:46 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bell99 HB User

I use the foam types and Love them Neutrogena and Jerkins are great!

Old 05-30-2009, 02:31 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

I also got good color results from the Sublime Glow products, but the scent was pretty strong on me. I might have used a different one though AND I haven't used it for years, so I'm sure they have improved!

If you want natural looking color (just a subtle difference) definitely go for one of those gradual tanning lotions. I have NEVER messed up with these and don't get streaks or anything even if I don't exfoliate. I buy Ocean Potion Ever Glow (Walmart sells it) and it's only $4 for a very large bottle. Great price and the scent is much milder than some of the other products that have that funny self tanner smell. My only complaint is that it won't get you very dark (more subtle) and if I get sweaty during the day, the lotion seems to feel fresh again like you just put it on. I just get a tissue or something and wipe off any areas that feel wet from the lotion. Not too big a deal! Doesn't ever stain my clothes or anything and it dries pretty quickly for a lotion.

For darker color, I am a big fan of Neutrogena Micromist because it mists on, so no need to rub it in. VERY easy and fast drying. It's easy to get my back. It's usually hard for me to get my back with a lotion or gel. I just mist it on in the shower. The scent is more noticeable, but not terrible. I get the one that makes you 3 shades darker, but honestly, the results are still very natural on me and not too dark. Maybe I don't use enough!

Anytime using a product that makes you a lot darker, definitely exfoliate! The gradual lotions aren't as bad since they don't get too dark all at once. SHAVE FIRST. If you shave afterwards, all of the self tanner (or at least some) will come right off. That is wonderful that you decided to give these a try! I also used to tan at the salon and unfortunately these don't get me as dark (I used to go 5 times a week though and liked to be VERY dark), but I feel so much better not damaging my skin.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:29 AM   #6
(female)

Love2Run9485 HB User

I recently purchased a couple of new tanning lotion products and wanted to share my opinions! First, I purchased Loreal Sublime Glow misting aerosol spray. I accidentally confused this for the 'Sublime Bronze' line. The misting spray made it so easy to reach my back and it's nice to not have to rub it in. The smell wasn't too bad either. Unfortunately, the next day I noticed that I couldn't really tell I applied it. THEN I noticed it was one of those gradual tanners that take a few applications to get dark. I went back to the store to exchange it for the 'Sublime Bronze' which also comes in a misting spray. Unfortunately this one smelled VERY bad when I tested it. Some of the sprays have a very strong scent! For 'Sublime Glow' it would work best for a natural, very light tan. My only complaint is that when I hit the spray button, it sprays for about a second longer after I let go. I accidentally got too much sprayed on my feet when I meant to just do a very fast mist, so watch out for that.

I also bought Hawaiian Tropic's gel self tanner that makes you 3 shades darker. So far, I love it! I was VERY PLEASANTLY surprised that the gel actually smelled good from the tube. I couldn't smell that icky self tanner scent at all, which is surprising from a regular tanner and not a gradual tanner. I saw it contains odor blockers. My fiance that it smelled better than the other ones I've tried too. It was pretty easy to apply and dried quickly (but tricky to reach the back area). The color looks nice so far, but I have only used it for one day. It's not too dark and probably 1-2 shades darker, not 3, since I only put on a light coat. I think I can smell it a tiny bit, but less than any others I've tried. Even Jergens Natural Glow smells pretty bad to me! I also like that it doesn't feel sticky and isn't tinted (clear gel), so it won't stain your clothes. If it continues to work well, I will be SOLD on this one. Any self tanner that doesn't stink will be great to have!

Old 06-03-2009, 02:30 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

I just bought the Hawaiian Tropic (Island Glow I think?) for medium-dark color (3 shades darker) and applied it last night. I'm pleased with the results! The smell really is minimal. It smelled good with no self-tanner scent AT ALL at first. I could slightly smell it after a few hours of developing, but my fiance did not notice it when I asked him about it. I can't smell it at all unless I sniff my skin and it's not strong at all. For some reason the scent reminds me of a cracker, LOL, so at least it isn't anything too bad. The color came out nice and natural looking. I feel like I got about 2 shades darker. I have one darker foundation I bought that was accidentally too dark for my skin and it now matches perfectly. It's not so dark that it looks fake though.

The gel does appear clear, but if you look very closely, it has a tiny bit of a golden tint. I'd recommend not wearing white after applying it. I went to the gym and ran for a while and the sweat made a tiny bit of the gold to get on my tank top. Not too noticeable though. Next time I will just do a light wash in the shower the morning after applying it to remove any residue. My skin feels nice too, not sticky or overly moisturized. I applied less around my ankles, knees, and elbows. I don't think I got too dark anywhere and don't have any streaks. Even my back looks okay!

Great product and so far I'm thinking it may be my new favorite

Old 06-12-2009, 11:15 AM   #8
(female)

bugsyjo HB User

I've tried a lot of different brands over the years but by FAR the best I've used is called Fake Bake. You usually have to get it at a spa (or over the internet). They have many different kinds, I prefer the mousse and the one for the face is really awesome too. My husband even uses it on his face during the winter. It does have the same smell as the others but it's really not strong at all and it is the most beautiful brown, no orange AT ALL. I don't know how a very pale person would like it but it works great on me. I suppose if I were very light I would try their gradual tanning moisturizer for the body. I can't say enough about this stuff, I even use it to boost my summer tan like on my feet and hands and it looks great if I go lightly on those areas. Another good product to use is MakeUp For Ever face and body foundation. It doesn't tan you but it's waterproof and smudge proof and I use it alot to spruce up areas like my neck and chest on special occasions. (I get it as Sephora). I get a darker color so it looks like I've had some sun and it adjusts itself to compliment your skin tone, very sheer but kicks some color.

Old 06-14-2009, 05:49 AM   #9
(female)

broodygirl HB User

I recently experimented with a gradual self tanner by Nivea. It is great. I am really impressed by the results and it is a safer bet than a full on self tanner for a novice like me

Old 06-15-2009, 08:09 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

I really, really like the self tanners with as little scent as possible. For those that do have a scent, I'd be curious to try the odor minimizing spray that some tanning salons smell to use with the mystic tan (I am sure it would work with other self tanners).

Hawaiian Tropic was the only brand I've tried that specifically says it has odor blockers in it to make it smell better. I wonder if any others have this in it too! I am going to try out their gradual self tanner as well for the winter time. I got a nice glow for going to the beach this past weekend after only using the gel self tanner for a day! I was happy to have the color!

Closed Thread