It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2009, 05:50 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

himmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB User
Question Hair Color??? Questions, pls. Help.

Hi all, I am usually on another board, however I check out everything. Love this sight, and recommend it to everyone I know.

Here qoes. I am 42 years old, NEVER colored my hair, and I am starting to show gray's. Not allot, however brassiness too. I am a medium brunette and and want to know of a hair color NOT permanent with many vitamins that will enhance my natural color, PLUS give me some chocolate highlights.

What would you recommend........? Scard to color, but need to start.....pls. advise.

Thanks so much.

Old 08-11-2009, 01:40 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

GravesGirl73 HB UserGravesGirl73 HB User
Re: Hair Color??? Questions, pls. Help.

I think a hair stylist would be able to know what you're looking for and give you the color you want. If you have friends that go to them for hair color and you like how they look, maybe go to the same one? I dyed my hair for years and years and finally started going to a hair stylist. It always came out too brassy, or uneven, but that's blonde, darker would probably be easier to do yourself. It never usually comes out like the picture on the box though, be prepared! It all depends on the color you start with, and whether your hair has red in it etc...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2009, 03:31 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

himmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB User

Thanks, I will talk to my hairdresser.......I just wanted to do it myself to save $$$.

Old 08-13-2009, 07:42 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

The very first time I colored my hair, I definitely went to a salon. I would suggest sticking with a color very close to your natural color your first time coloring it. That way, it isn't a huge shock. I did some caramel highlights the first time I did some color. I've dyed my own hair plenty of times, but I get my highlights done at a salon now. If I do all one color, I can do my own.

For color that isn't permanent, I like the Natural Instincts kind you can buy at most stores. The color have always come out nice on me and never damaged my hair. Just make sure to read the instructions and leave the color on for what it recommends for covering up grays. Usually you have to leave the color on a few minutes longer if there are grays or even highlights. It's a great idea for you to use a temporary color for now to make sure you like it. I find that sometimes the colors come out darker at first, but they fade lighter with a few washes, and they gradually fade out in about 2 months for me. Also, I suggest buying more than one box if you have long hair or thick hair. If you don't end up needing it, you can always take back the extra box (just save your receipt!). Good luck and have fun!

Old 08-20-2009, 10:24 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

sonic HB User

i also use natural instincts b/c its a bit gentler...i also saw a new product in the drugstore...its a colour stick to temporary colour over the grey hairs...think it was around 6-7$ in the hair colour isle. just get the shade closest to your natural colour.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:10 PM   #6
(female)

MissS2 HB User

I would definitley visit the salon if this is your very first time! Ask for an experienced colorist as well, since this will definitely help you feel more at ease with your hair-coloring adventure!

I speak from a personal experience as a person who was a chronic hair-colorer! *wink* I look back, and definitely wish I would've consulted a professional before diving into some of the choices I've made! I vouch for the people who warn of hairbox blindness- unless you have white or really blonde hair, you usually won't get the color on the box.

However, if you do intend to color your own hair, Loreal Paris is a pretty decent line. I usually stick with this line when I color my mom's hair (as well as my own on a rare occassion). My hair is really coarse and dark (typical asian hair for the most part) and the color I get is an okay reflection of the box. The Natural Match for this line is also good for a first-time experience- however, the key to a good first experience is to stick to your natural color. I've used Natural Match to polish my color up a bit if I can't make the visit to the salon.

Good Luck!

Old 08-28-2009, 04:55 AM   #7
(female)

chongo HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by himmylover View Post
Hi all, I am usually on another board, however I check out everything. Love this sight, and recommend it to everyone I know.

Here qoes. I am 42 years old, NEVER colored my hair, and I am starting to show gray's. Not allot, however brassiness too. I am a medium brunette and and want to know of a hair color NOT permanent with many vitamins that will enhance my natural color, PLUS give me some chocolate highlights.

What would you recommend........? Scard to color, but need to start.....pls. advise.

Thanks so much.
You could use a Natural Botanics semi permanent colour. There are ones that highlight your colour giving you a glossy and enhanced colour. They're also packed with nutrients and vitamins These are available from all highly recognised pharmacies and supermarkets. (supermarkets probably being the cheaper option)

hope this helps

Closed Thread