It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2009, 09:10 AM   #1
(female)

jerene HB User
vaseline as face cream

Is it harmful to use vaseline as a face cream?

Old 10-30-2009, 06:33 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Ding HB User
Re: vaseline as face cream

To clarify, do you mean vaseline as in the clear petroleum jelly? I wouldn't think it would be necessarily harmful, but i doubt it would be very pleasant. Its pretty greasy and shiny and might clog your pores as its so thick and oily. Perhaps it would help sooth especially dry patches of skin as a night cream, but I should think it would be pretty horrible to wear during the day, and would make you pretty shiny. Its great for moisturising lips tho!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-31-2009, 05:43 PM   #3
(female)

karen275 HB User

Vaseline is a petroleum product,and I woul not use it on my face. Caster oil (hexane free) Is good. These things do not moisturise you skin,only lock in moisture. Try NaPca spray to hydrate your face, some health food stores carry it, made by Twinlabs. Allthe best...karen275

Old 11-11-2009, 06:23 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Nuada HB User

@Jerene:
I don't recommend Vaseline or any other petroleum derivative (e.g. mineral oil) to be used on the skin. As a matter of fact, the cosmetic industry is trying to get increasingly rid of petroleum derivatives.
The problem os mineral oil and vaseline is that they are comedogenic. In other words the seal your skin so it cannot breath anymore. This can lead to a number of skin problems (e.g. acne).
Beside, as Ding already mentioned, it certainly wouldn't be a pleasant skin feel. Castor oil, although not as bad as vaseline isn't a great choice either.
My question would be why don't you use a good skin cream ? Also, what do you want to accomplish ? moisturizing ? any kind of treatment ?

Old 11-12-2009, 07:59 AM   #5
(female)

Mammma HB User

I second that. Also, I recommend organic skin care products coupled with good nutrition and exercise. Pure essential oils if chosen and used properly can have an amazing impact.

Last edited by moderator2; 11-17-2009 at 03:34 PM. Reason: needless quote

Old 11-17-2009, 03:15 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB User
Smile Re: vaseline as face cream

I have to disagree here. I have a friend who uses vaseline and she is 60 now and not a wrinkle on her face. We used to live in Arizona and it is very dry out there. She would slab it on and wipe most of it off with a damp cloth. It left her skin beautiful and soft. I spent bucks on creams and I have wrinkles and she doesn't now 20 years later...aghhhhhh. Now I use it too even though late at believing.
I have another friend here who has lovely skin, I asked her what she uses and she also said I just use vaseline lightly. She is in her 70's wow!!
It keeps the mositure in which is what you want.

It is not as nice as some of the sented creams but it sure does it's thingat a cheap price also.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:18 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

CaringMom HB User

Thank you sunshine; ditto here.
I use vaseline in the winter months when my face is more dry, but at night. Not a heavy glob, but as you mentioned, a thin layer. I also used it on my daughters when they were young as they both suffered severely with eczema and nothing prescribed helped; I mean nothing. The doctor recommended putting the vaseline lightly on their faces. Within days I could see an improvement! It's the wonder jelly.

Old 11-18-2009, 07:49 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Evie4 HB User

I'm with the "no petroleum products" folks. Just my preference. I would avoid essential oils for the skin --potentially irritating. I know MDs will suggest using petroleum jelly for various dry skin problems--so you can see that as a professional opinion. As far as wrinkles, sure, moisturizing helps by keeping the skin flexible, but it is more about the genes. Oh and smoking--bad for the skin over the long run.

My preferences for a moisturizer are Tropical Traditions creams and lotions. There aren't a bunch of mystery ingredients and for a scented moisturizer I love Mountain Ocean's Skin (Coconut) Trip. It's light in weight and has a wonderful vanilla/coconut fragrance.

Old 11-19-2009, 07:16 AM   #9
(female)

Mammma HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evie4 View Post
I would avoid essential oils for the skin --potentially irritating
I think that would very much depends on the oils, how pure they are, whether they are appropriate for the individual's type of skin, and whether they are used properly (from what I understand, usually they are not to be applied directly). I'm still learning though.

Closed Thread