It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2010, 12:17 PM   #1
(female)

donalda HB Userdonalda HB User
I want silver highlights instead of yellow

I am an ash blonde going gray and would like to put silver highlights in to match my grays more than what yellow would..I don't know how many times I have explained this to my stylist and she just doesn't get it....I can't do yellow anymore...any suggestions to explain to her what i want or how to do it?

Old 08-04-2010, 01:22 PM   #2
(female)

memawof3 HB User
Re: I want silver highlights instead of yellow

how about taking her a picture from a magazine to shw her what you want, in the style and color you would like!
thats what i do..
i too have ashy hair,and my stylist puts a little golden blond into it..works for me..
but, i dont want to go all gray yet...
bren

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2010, 09:33 PM   #3
(female)

dalila1981 HB User

I would ask specifically for silver highlights. Also use the shampoo "silverlights" from clairol.

Old 08-27-2010, 02:21 PM   #4
(female)

sunkissed89 HB User

there are only a few color lines that will actually make your hair grey or silver. and a lot of the times, its hard to get your hair to be grey. you have to bleach your hair to almost white, then tone it with a semi-perminant hair color. mention to your stylist about toning your highlights with a violet base color, she will (hopefully) understand. also, if you get your hair highlighted, try using Matrix Simply Silver shampoo once a week. it works a lot better than the clariol shampoo. its usually around $10, but its the BEST!

Old 09-05-2010, 06:59 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

I am surprised that your hairstylist wants to use YELLOW highlights! That does not sound appealing one bit, especially since most people want the brassy tones that tend to look yellow or orange to NOT be in their hair. I know a lot of people who get golden blonde highlights, and with time, they start to get brassy and might get that yellow-ish look. I always make sure they use toner after getting my highlights done to keep them from going yellow/orange. I also like to bring in photos to show that I want a "cool-toned blonde." They should definitely be able to use a toner to get too much gold out of a color. I don't know much personally about silver highlights, but the previous poster has some good advice to mention to your stylist. I'd also bring in a photo. If she still does not understand, I might ask around people you know to see if any of them might know a stylist who has experience with this. Best of luck to you!

Old 11-02-2010, 01:39 PM   #6
(female)

paulinelogan1 HB User

i would love that done too but cant seem to get through to the hairdresser let me know if you get a positive answer xx

Old 09-06-2011, 01:40 AM   #7
(female)

EmeliaKanson HB User

...Silver highlights? Those actually... those actually exist? O_____O

Old 10-26-2011, 05:51 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

BeaTrade HB UserBeaTrade HB UserBeaTrade HB UserBeaTrade HB UserBeaTrade HB UserBeaTrade HB User

I know this is an old post and original poster is probably long gone but you need to tell a hairdresser you want your hair "frosted". That's what we called it back in the day. The problem is they aren't lifting the color enough, it needs to be lifted to the pale yellow stage and then once it's dry you will have a white streak in your hair. I used to frost hair all the time back in the 80s but I guess that's not the fade anymore...probably if you'd find a hairdresser that's older and has been doing hair many years, you'll find someone that's familiar with "frosting" hair.

Closed Thread