It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2010, 03:09 PM   #1
(female)

Amyb76 HB User
How do I lighten all over hair color without highlights

I got my hair colored at a salon and it is one or two shades too dark... how would I lighten it without highlights?

Old 11-04-2010, 05:05 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Tivo123 HB UserTivo123 HB UserTivo123 HB UserTivo123 HB User
Re: How do I lighten all over hair color without highlights

That happened to me very recently!

I found an excellent colorist at a different salon who said that all over highlights done in slices rather than weaving in and out gives much more all-over lightened look. The highlights were not true blonde but rather a more caramel type color. The way she did that was to not leave it in too long, just long enough to dye it a few shades lighter, then she applied an all-over toner to make it look more uniform.

The only alternative is a color remover which stinks like rotten eggs and is more damaging to your hair. I did that once a few years ago and my hair was fried for a long time until I got it healthy again. Don't reccommend it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-04-2010, 05:32 PM   #3
(female)

Amyb76 HB User

Thanks for the advice. I am hesistant to do anything to it. One salon recommended dish detergent but I don't want to do that to my hair. They said they could strip it but I am afraid of what that would do to my hair. I've also heard of a soap cap- I did that once when my hair was almost black.

It would be nice if I had better communication with stylists so I didn't have to go through this.

Old 12-11-2010, 11:22 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

EllieFrog HB User

I suggest you leave it alone because it will fade on its own with time. But I will also mention that hair color removers are NOT damaging if they do not contain ammonia. Bleaching may damage the hair but removing the color will not.
I have plantinum blonde hair (that I achieve by bleaching and toning). I wanted to darken it recently, and of course it turned out way too dark. I purchased a hair color remover at Sally's and used it according to directions. It caused absolutely no damage whatsoever to my hair, it didn't smell that bad at all until you apply heat (which you don't have to do), and washed the color out to the perfect shade that I was trying to achieve in the first place.
So if you really dislike your new color and want it to fade fast than doing a color correction at home should cause no problems at all. Otherwise wait for it to wash out.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:49 PM   #5
(female)

SamiMichelle08 HB User

Hello,
Im a hair stylist.. First off, How dark are you all over? If your black all over.. you def wont be going blonde for a very, very, very long time. If your a medium brown, you could def get there. The best way to do so is to make it look as natural as possible!.. So, i would recommend going to a salon and telling them to SLICE all of your hair while leaving little hair out of foils with a powerful lightener.

Whoever told you to use Dishliquid Soap...DO NOT DO IT!! its very damaging to the hair!!!! If you do this, then decide to lighten your hair, you could ruin your hair!..

Also, what are your regular routines with your hair.. Do you flat iron?? Do you blow dry often?? If you use lots of heat every day on your hair, you may want to reconsider lightening your hair all over.. UNLESS you buy professional hair care products to protect your hair!!

I hope this helps you Hopefully you can get to your beautiful blonde that you want

Old 05-29-2011, 05:52 PM   #6
(female)

KnucklesD HB User

I am also a stylist and I would also say do not use dish detergent on your hair. I would also not lighten your hair on your own. You will hate it way more than you do now. The best advice is to just let it fade on its own. It will probably take a month but it will probably be the most effective way for you. It will also insure 100% to protect the integrity of your hair.

Closed Thread