It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2011, 07:02 AM   #1
(female)

sophitia HB User
How often to trim hair?

My hair is now shoulder length and I would like it to grow another 3 inches. I do use heated appliances but always use heat protectant spray. Plus I use special treatments for the ends of my hair. I've been reading so many different opinions about how often to trim hair that I don't know what to do. I'm due to have my hair trimmed on June 23 and if I do go, I only want 1/4 inch taken off. But should I just wait and grow my hair just a little past the desired length that I want THEN trim it ( plus that way I won't be missing my hair & getting upset about it.)

Old 05-28-2011, 10:27 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

pupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB User
Re: How often to trim hair?

Usually if people get their hair cut monthly they are trying to maintain a style. If you are growing out to another style/length you can wait longer. Hair grows about 1/2" per month. I have long hair and I get it trimmed every 3 mos.

Pup

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2011, 11:14 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Trim your hair when it grows longer than you want, or when the ends don't look good any more. Once a month trimmings are for people trying to maintain a short haircut.

Old 05-29-2011, 05:28 PM   #4
(female)

KnucklesD HB User

sophitia, Trims are not just for people trying to maintain short styles. Trims are for people who want to have healthy hair. You should get a trim anywhere from 4-8 weeks. Most people go about six. This is crucial if you use heat appliances. A lot of people get to a point where they feel like their isn't getting long any more. More often than not it is because they are not getting regular trims. People who color their hair will often see new growth but dont see any change in length. This is because their ends are breaking off. This is not necessarily split ends, but it could be. Heat styling can cause your ends to weaken and break off if not trimmed regularly.
I am a stylist at one of the top 200 salons in the nation. Please let me know if you need any other guidance. I would love to help

Old 06-01-2011, 01:42 AM   #5
(female)

sophitia HB User

I decided to get my hair trimmed this Friday. Then I will get trims every 12 weeks.

Old 06-07-2011, 05:22 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

I usually go every 2-3 months for a trim and to get my hair thinned out. I actually trimmed it myself the last time because several salons didn't thin out my hair enough and it felt very heavy! I check my hair for split ends or brittle ends and will definitely trim it more often if needed. Many salons offer a service called "dusting" where just the very ends are trimmed off to keep it healthy, which works great for when you are growing it out. I also cut back on my heat styling to just a few times a week, even though I also use heat protecting product every time. What absolutely helped me the most was to stop highlighting my hair as often. I am a natural brunette and would regularly get blonde highlights. Since golden blonde didn't look well with my fair skin, I got more of a cool, lighter blonde, which was pretty tough on my hair in the long run. I have it dyed back darker and plan on to go dark brown (I'm naturally light-medium brown) soon. Whenever I dye it darker, my hair feels like silk!

Old 08-04-2011, 07:37 PM   #7
(female)

yoli1203 HB User

You should have it trimmed at the end of the summer to get rid of all the dry sun damage and six months after that if your trying to let it grow, but condition and try not to wash it too frequently. Once - twice a week.

Closed Thread