It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2012, 02:52 PM   #1
(female)

ticktickatick HB User
All over blonde highlights!

Two years ago I decided to go all over blonde through highlights (all over color looks too flat to me). Hair is naturally a light mousy brown.

My hair lifts pretty quick. After 2 session of all over highlights, my hair was BLONDE. Now I go in every 6-8 weeks and JUST get my roots highlighted. This has kept my hair pretty healthy.

Here is the thing. I love how my blonde hair looks about 5 inches down from the roots but I never like how the roots look, even right after a salon visit. My just-walked-out-of-the-salon roots show a LOT of brown. Not a brown "root line" but a lot of brown streaks with the blonde. By the second trip, the last session of roots gets a little bit of overlap from the new session of roots, so that's why 5 inches down from my scalp it looks perfect.

HOW do I get my stylist to cover MORE of my root hair in highlights? I have been to different stylists, some who are their salon's "color expert" and who are quite expensive. These are good colorists. But I'm not communicating something the right way.

Here is the picture I show them. This is what my hair looks like starting 5 inches from the scalp.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/50496283@N05/7593132506/

I say, I want my roots to look like the blonde in this picture. You'd think a picture would say a 1000 words, but instead of bright blonde roots I get brown streaked with blonde.

What do I have to say to make it crystal clear what I want--since a picture isn't doing it? Do I need to get a thicker weave (they usually do small strands of hair in each foil)? Do I need to specifically request a crapload of foils? Do I need to scream bloody murder if my hair doesn't match the picture?

Please help!! I would love to actually get my blonde color RIGHT while I'm still in this blonde phase. It's 70% there, but the top of my head always looks bad...especially noticeable when I pull my hair back in a ponytail.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2012, 03:16 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

jillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB User
Re: All over blonde highlights!

The actress' hair is not highlighted, it is all over blonde. What you see that is slightly darker is natural shadow.

If you want hair like that highlights will not do it. Highlighting is the same as streaks except for the closeness and size of the hair segments.

Last edited by jillian4; 07-17-2012 at 03:17 PM.

Old 09-08-2012, 01:30 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User
Re: All over blonde highlights!

What about a highlighting method such as balayage where they paint them right on? My old salon would do this and use bits of cotton to separate the different sections. I got a lot more blonde, yet it really blended so nicely and looked really good. The salon was a bit more expensive, but they were truly an artist when it came to my hair color. This comes out so different since they don't wrap up hair in foils or anything and they can see exactly which sections are painted. I'm sure it's harder to tell with layers of foil all over (and a cap - even worse). Have you ever tried this or do they use foils every time?

If all else fails and you can't find someone who uses this method, you might have to do like me and tell them that you want MORE than half of your hair to be up in foils, not the typical highlight amount. I'd watch carefully too... I once asked for this and I could see them weaving a little section to foil and could tell only about half of the year was going (meaning it would look like stripes and more brown left), so I was able to ask for more.

I completely understand what you mean since I used to make my brown hair blonde with highlights. I really did have the best luck with balayage. Now I color my hair dark brown, but I loved how my hair looked lighter as well. Good luck!

Closed Thread