It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2012, 03:18 PM   #1
(female)

Miss Lissa HB User
question on dying hair

Hi everyone I had a question (hoping there are some experts or people who have learned from experience that can lend me a hand here) My hair is dark brown. basically it is lighter than the darkest brown and looks brown in good lighting but far away looks black. I am wanting to go lighter (mostly virgin hair except for last 5 inches of basically the same color) and in a perfect world I would go much lighter but I am after a new image/lifestyle/maintenance that if i finally find what I like I want to maintain it. I am a winter and my hair is supposed to be ash but it has a LOT of red in it that doesn't show much until you try to dye it My skin tone is probably the second fairest, not as fair as most natural red heads but still pretty white. I want to say my hair dresser said she put 5 blue in the brown that she dyed in January whatever that means (assuming to cool the brown down.) still came out an albeit pretty but only subtly lighter WARM brown. Working on getting rid of that. So long story short, and I won't fault you if you are wrong lol just a general idea. but how light can I reasonably go without having to use the two process stripping thing and stay neutral to Ash. I used garnier nutrisse light brown a while back and it didn't really change the level of the color much just gave my roots a faintly orange vibe (luckilly not obvious.)I am trying to get my hair from just hitting my shoulders to bra strap level and breakage would seriously mess with that goal I think. I want it to at least be light enough that from across the room it looks no darker than a chocolate brown. Also I know monitors show color differently and all but if you could find a link to a picture of similar color you think I can achieve that would be great. thanks

Last edited by Miss Lissa; 07-17-2012 at 03:19 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2012, 03:22 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

jillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB User
Re: question on dying hair

Chocolate brown has red in it. It is a warm color.

Since your hair shows a natural red in the light, to lighten your hair will bring out that red.

If you do not want red you absolutely must use ash and blue. Never use the slightest warm tone on your hair.

Old 07-17-2012, 03:37 PM   #3
(female)

Miss Lissa HB User

sorry I guess chocolate was a wrong word basically I want it to look brown from far away and never be mistaken for black. I want it to be dark enough that no one would mistake it for a blonde hue. I guess that would be about the lightest shade of a medium ash brown. I am looking on the net for ideas right now to show my hairdresser

Last edited by Miss Lissa; 07-17-2012 at 03:52 PM.

Old 07-17-2012, 03:59 PM   #4
(female)

Miss Lissa HB User

The far right photo is similar to what I am thinking, not sure if that is a fraction too light (it has a gray cast in certain lighting but maybe I'm seeing things. Still would love ideas and info. Thanks

Last edited by hb-mod; 07-17-2012 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Please don't post unapproved website links, or recommend Internet searches, per Posting Policy. Thanks.

Old 07-17-2012, 04:38 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

jillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB User

Hi,

The same still goes....to lighten the color simply use a lighter ash brown than you did before. If you use a hairdresser have her add either blue or purple. Just always use an ash shade

All hair reacts differently so all you can do is experiment until you like it.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:05 PM   #6
(female)

Miss Lissa HB User

okay thanks for the help.

I really really love that it is exactly what I was thinking and maybe this is the trouble. I DO want it warm just not red. This has a golden feel to it. Anyway thanks so much

Last edited by Administrator; 07-18-2012 at 04:32 PM.

Old 07-20-2012, 07:32 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

You're welcome, Miss Lissa!

Golden doesn't look good on me, either.
My hair is ash toned, but shows a little red when in direct sunlight.

Closed Thread