It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bell's Palsy Message Board

Just diagnosed with Bell's palsy

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-24-2017, 11:44 AM   #16
JLS2017
(female)

JLS2017 HB User
Re: Just diagnosed with Bell's palsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex100470 View Post
Hi...just diagnosed 4 days ago..i m devastated. My left face won t move my ear hurts badly my eye wont close...eating almost impossible drinking only with a straw. I m on steroids and antibiotics. I have eyedrops..but what about my psyche?? I cant smile...i feel this is even worse than all of the above. I look like a freak when i try and when i talk i cant pronounce certain words..i dont want to go out and expose myself not even to my kids..i m just a total wreck..any tips for surviving the first couple of days??
Hi -- boy do I feel your pain (oh, wait, I can't feel a thing)... I was diagnosed about 10 days ago and have completed a course of steroids and anti-virals. I too have great difficulty eating and speaking with lots of slurring. Altho it's not pretty, I've found that taping from the corner of my mouth across to my ear on the affected side does improve my pronunciation and also helps a bit with eating. I use a clear medical tape. I've also taped up my forehead to raise my eyebrow and then put my bangs over the tape. Can't smile yet, but, hey, what's there to smile about?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-27-2017, 07:55 PM   #17
CarolIS
(female)

CarolIS HB User
Unhappy Re: Just diagnosed with Bell's palsy

I too feel your struggles. Be patient!!!!!! I was diagnosed on Dec. 7, 2016 on my right side, after about 8 days I started seeing some improvement and within 6 weeks I was back to normal. Then a big blow! On Feb. 21, 2017 I had another diagnosis on my left side that I am still dealing with. Tonight, for the first time in a week, I feel some tingling and maybe a little, yes little, movement in my eye brow.
I have been on Prednisone and a antibiotic both times. This is hard to deal with, just know that hopefully it will all pass.
What have I done.... Use eye drops frequently
Tape your eye closed at night (soft surgical tape)
Let your injury have time to heal
Around day 4-5 start facial massages on your self.
Practice verbal exercises Ahhhh, Ohhhhh, Eeeee
Be Patient!!!!!!
Day 7-8 start to concentrate on trying to move cheek, lip,
eyebrow muscles. Use a mirror and just try, but don't
Stress yourself, or try to overwork.
Read the internet. Lots of information
This has been so incredibly difficult for me, and I hope that you know there's others out there struggling just as you are. You are not alone! When I am around strangers, I always apologize for my strange look and explain my diagnosis. Surprisingly most people have heard of it, or have had it in their families. Don't be embarrassed, but you will be uncomfortable around people. When I have to speak I always pull back on my bad cheek, and maybe I look a little better.
Again- Be Patient, and I wish you (and myself) a positive conclusion to this uncomfortable situation 😔

Old 03-09-2017, 11:39 PM   #18
Ness B
(female)

Ness B HB User

Hi All

I have had Bells Palsy for almost 6 months now and have only had major symmetrical improvements in the last 5 weeks. I take photos every week or 2, so I can personally see the difference which helps with recover. The main things I have done different in the last 5 weeks are:
- lots of water to help with blood flow
- Vitamin B12 again assist with blood flow and general wellbeing
- seeing a chiropractor which doesn't cure Bells but it can assist and in my case I believe it has helped.
- Massaging my face
I personally had every single symptom possible and started to become very discouraged when I saw no improvement at all after 3 months. This was when I expected to see a little hint, but nothing. Then suddenly when I added these few things, a drastic improvement in 1 week. Keeping water intake up is extremely important and to remain hydrated.
I had excruciating pain, felt like my ear was full of water (which didn't come on until about week 7 or 8) but has improved now, obviously could hardly speak well, very suceptable to loud noise, felt like I was deaf, but this was just because of the bells. Today I still have pain, but it is very tolerable. I am very optimistic I will have a full recovery. I am writing to those who suffer from this for months and start to lose hope as I did, but now it's been restored. I hope this can help at least one person get through this, as I know how tough my journey has been as I am sure everyone else's has. I also had no evidence of any viral infection, so we put it down to stress which I believe certainly causes some cases of Bell's. There seems to be quite a few people who believe the same but unfortunately no evidence yet to confirm this. Best of health to all and feel free to get in touch if anyone needs some support or some reassurance ☺

Last edited by Ness B; 03-09-2017 at 11:43 PM.

Old 09-04-2017, 05:34 PM   #19
nickich
(female)

nickich HB User
Smile Re: Just diagnosed with Bell's palsy

I had Bell's Palsy a couple of years ago. The ER thought I was having a stroke, but I wasn't. Now.... I'm not a doctor, but someone suggested to me to go to an acupuncture clinic. So I did go to my chiropractor who did acupuncture - I went to him for 3 weeks and my face went back to normal. A good friend of mine, several months later, came over and she had Bell's Palsy. I told her mine went away by acupuncture and so she tried it. Her palsy was gone a few weeks later. I'm not saying that it wouldn't have gone away without doing this, but it is what it is. My palsy was so bad, I was embarrassed to go out. I felt like my face was falling down on one side.

Old 09-11-2017, 04:52 PM   #20
allig71
(female)

allig71 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd1024 View Post
I'm 8 days in on my first experience with BP 4th day on steroids. Have you experienced facial twitching or pain in the face? My upper eyelid, cheek, lip and chin will all twitch periodically. I'm wondering if that's a good sign? Too early to see progress?
I have pain to the touch on my cheek and jaw.
Twitching is good!! It might be a little while longer to see progress...every case is unique though. I'm not too sure what the pain might be...is it pain or soreness? The muscles may be sore or sense because they are being used.
Get plenty of rest...and stay as stress free as possible! Hope you're feeling better soon!

Reply Reply