It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bell's Palsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2002, 10:04 PM   #1

mo mccaa HB User
Question bells' palsy

I was recently told that my sister might possible have bells'palsy, what is this? I have read a couple of messages and those people had it for a couple of months, is this standard? Please tell me how I can help my sister if at all possible? Have a Blessed Day, Mo

Old 09-04-2002, 09:39 AM   #2

lil princess HB User
I had Bell's Palsy when I was about 15 or 16 years old. I am now 21. My brother also had it 2 or 3 years before me. When MY brother had it they said I would eventually get it. And I did. Its in the genes the doctor said. Some people say you can get it from ear aches or sinsus. All the junk from a sinus infection lays on your nerve in your face causing it to be paralyzed. Mine started out twitching. Everything started twiching on the right side of my face. I think it started with eye twitches. The next day I could feel my eye wasnt blinking and it wasnt. I didnt have to go to the doctors because I knew exactally what it was and my best friends mom was a doctor. All they give you for it is steriods. My eye wouldnt close and I couldn't blink so I had to wear an eye patch and use eye drops. It was hard to laugh and talk because the right side of my mouth didn't move. I was in school at the time so I took off 2 weeks because I felt really embarrassed. It will go completely away in about a month or so. There is a like 30% chance that it will never go away but that is usually in older people. And there is a high percent that it will come back. As you start to have movement in you face you should do exersices with you mouth and eyes and nose forehead beacuse when you can move you face again you have to form the laugh lines again and like the wrinkles in your forehead to match the other side. I still till this don't have the same wrinkles on the right side as I do on the left in my face. It really isnt anything to be scared over. Its just having to go through it for a while. It will go away it just might take some time. But don't worry she will be fine. When I had it I told my mom it was the worst thing I had ever been through but now its from it. I was young. If you have anymore questions please ask. Hope this helps!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2002, 11:44 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

Jaytor HB User
Here's some additional information on Bell's Palsy.

MEDLINEplus Bell's Palsy [url="http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/bellspalsy.html"]http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/bellspalsy.html[/url]

The Medlineplus site also has prescription drug information.

Old 09-06-2002, 06:09 AM   #4

mo mccaa HB User
Thank you so much for your response, it is enlightening. I have been reading other posts and mostly all say that it is temporary. Thank God of that. Did you do anything special diet/meds/therapy-other than you described, for this while you had it? Mo

Old 09-06-2002, 09:39 AM   #5

lil princess HB User
No I just had to take steriods and do exersices with my eyes mouth and forehead. Also it has to get worse before it gets better. Some people don't take anything for it, but it would take longer to go away. But the important thing is to do the facial exercises when you start to be able to move everything. If you do not do those the wrinckles and facial expressions won't look normal like they were before. Usually the eye will be the first thing you notice at least it was for me and the eye will be last thing to get better. Tell her to be patient and its more common than a lot of people think. And she will get better it just takes time.

Old 09-06-2002, 11:45 AM   #6

coldplay_2002 HB User
Question

hi i was just wondering what happened with your sister and how she is doing? i was just diagnosed with bell's palsy 2 days ago and i am scared and frustrated over it. i was wondering if your sister had any advice and if she is doing any better!

[This message has been edited by coldplay_2002 (edited 09-06-2002).]

Old 09-07-2002, 08:31 AM   #7

mo mccaa HB User
Thanks for the input again, right now my sister is having to tape her eye shut at night and use the drops, I don't know about meds at this time. Other than that she has just been trying to find out any/all info you know? My other sister told me that they told my sister that she possibly had a series of mini strokes......but like I said, evrything that I have found in these posts have said that it was short term so I am definately trying to instill that info...I will try to found out what else they have told her. mo

[This message has been edited by mo mccaa (edited 09-07-2002).]

Old 09-09-2002, 06:09 AM   #8

lil princess HB User
Arrow

Has your sister had a cold or allergies lately or had been out in the wind? When I had it my doc told me you can get it from sleeping with a fan blowing on you. There were 2 ways I couldve gotton mine. I remember is was Halloween night because I didnt want to go out. A week before Halloween I went to the beach with my friend. It was so windy and cold. We would go out into the ocean at like 3 in the morning and go swimming. I got sick from the cold and junk was all in my head from being sick and some of it was lying on my facial nerve. Also I got bit by a spider on my neck the day before I started getting it. I was also in a bad car accident when I was 8 years old. I had to have stiches right above by eye where the nerve is. The accident might have nocked some stuff around. I got bells palsy on the same side where I had the stiches. That might also be why I got bells palsy, but usually it is from being sick that is why I was wondering if your sister has recently been sick or has allergies.

[This message has been edited by lil princess (edited 09-09-2002).]

Closed Thread