It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bell's Palsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2003, 11:52 PM   #1

shazzamoon HB User
Unhappy Straight Answers What could this be

I have been suffering now for over 6 months been to the doctors 5 times 3 different doctors. My symptoms are strange sensation on side of face and lip (like numbness but not quite) this is most of the time I think there has been two weeks spread apart when it has gone.
Stiff lower leg like a tight sock is on it, not all the time crawling sensation over tops of arms and shoulders, not all the time this drives me made
Pain in legs and arms like a server ache, not all the time but at one point or another I have one of the symtoms. I can think of two instances when I was ok.... oh and not forgeting the panic attacks and depression because I do not know what is wrong

Doctors seem to think it is Anxiety/Depression etc as I have moved house, job etc and have suffered depression before and I am a very STRESSED person.

But I dont know, I have mentioned MS to my doctor but she does not think so...I am going mad here as it does notmake sense.

Any clues... what worrys me is if I have got MS then I must have the very bad version as my symptoms do not go away.

Any help would be very greatful.

Thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2003, 05:30 AM   #2

noelwr HB User
The numbness on one side of the face reminds me of a TIA. I would ask for an MRI as soon as possible so that you could prevent a possible stroke (due to blood clot in the brain or hemmorhage). If all your symptoms are on one side of the body it could very well be signs of an oncoming stroke.

Not sure about the other symptoms. Could very well be stress/anxiety. Relax and get some rest.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2003, 03:06 PM   #3

2001Flushes HB User
Exclamation

The facial symptoms sound like what could possibly be a TIA (Transient Ischemic Attack's like noewlr mentioned above which essentially are mini-strokes). Other disorders such as Bell's Palsy which usually involves a persisting numbness but often hemisided facial paralysis which can be caused by an underlying disorder such as herpes. If you have any history of that, definitly tell the next time you see a doc.

Where you're having strange symptoms beyond the face such as your arms, etc. a possibility could be trapped nerve(s) along the spinal column. Have you had any neck/back pain or history of anything significant that may have caused trauma to your spine? Even the move or new job if you you've been doing anything new or strenuous on the body may have done this. A not so likely sounding possiblity could be neuropathic symptoms from diabetes but a simple blood test for hbg a1c can help rule that out if there's no formal diagnoses.

Stress and depression can manifest in many odd ways in people so if you've been prescribed anything for a depressive/anxietal disorder I would encourage you to at least try that. If the med fails to resolve your symptoms ~OR~ if the symptoms get worse, be seen right away.

MRI's and other tests can be expensive and depending on your insurance this may be the reason additional testing has not been ordered yet. Possibly consulting with a neurologist could help?

I'm not a doctor or anything, just trying to offer my 2 cents of advice FWIW. Hope you find a doc who helps end the suffering and you get better soon!

[This message has been edited by 2001Flushes (edited 09-30-2003).]

Closed Thread