It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bell's Palsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2003, 05:02 PM   #1

jamesk HB User
numing in face

hi all. my girlfriend was driving today and the left side of her face went num. just like that. has this happened to anyone eles and if so what did your dr say it was. thanks you

james

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-19-2003, 05:30 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Timber HB UserTimber HB User
Re: numing in face

I know that Bell's Palsy does that, but I have absolutely no idea if that's what your girlfriend has or not as I don't know the details.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-19-2003, 11:31 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User

James- Is her face still numb, or did it subside?
Sudden numbness in the face could be something called a TIA (transient ischemic attack).The official definition of a TIA is the sudden onset of neurological signs of a "brain attack" (i.e. numbness or weakness of face, arm or leg) that completely resolve in 24 hours. In practice, TIAs usually last 5-10 minutes.

A TIA is caused by a temporary state of reduced blood flow (called "ischemia") in a portion of the brain. This is most frequently caused by tiny blood clots that temporarily block blood flow to a portion of the brain.
I don't know if this is what happened with her but she should see a doctor because it could be a serious warning sign of a future stroke.

Definitely not to be ignored, even if it has long gone. She should have a thorough physical and certainly have her blood pressure evaluated.

zuzu xx

Old 12-20-2003, 07:32 PM   #4

jamesk HB User

it was num for about 45 mins then she was very tired

Old 12-20-2003, 07:43 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User

It could have been a TIA, as I said, and the operative word is "transient", which hers was...Please don't ignore this. If there is a problem, she's in a very good place to do something about it and head of what may be a catastrophic event (stroke) later.

zuzu xx

Closed Thread