It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bell's Palsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2004, 07:43 PM   #1
(female)

springbreak HB User
bell's palsy

when i was kid , I had that strange thing-bell's palsy, or facial paralysis of the left side of my face. doest it have anything to do with my present problems of facial pain, and clicking jaws? i would be interested to hear from people with similar experience. thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2004, 12:38 AM   #2

SRH_NF_isback HB User
Re: bell's palsy

I've never heard of TMJ being related to Bell's Palsy. TMJ can affect your facial muscles, and I can see how it may lead to symptoms that may be misinterpreted as Bell's Palsy...TMJ, it is often said, mimics many other conditions...it's the 'great imposter'.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-25-2010, 12:21 AM   #3
(female)

Liahciara HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by springbreak View Post
when i was kid , I had that strange thing-bell's palsy, or facial paralysis of the left side of my face. doest it have anything to do with my present problems of facial pain, and clicking jaws? i would be interested to hear from people with similar experience. thanks.
Hi I had bell's palsy when I was 8, I don't have any reiocurring pain. Do you grind your teeth when you sleep, I believe it's called T&J, that would cause jaw pain, neck pain and other symptoms.
cheers

Old 12-27-2010, 04:56 AM   #4
(female)

Sue Jones HB User

I was diagnosed with Bells palsy years ago after my mother died. It left by slowly as I began recovering from the grief of her death! It has not returned! That was fourteen years ago.

Old 12-27-2010, 07:04 AM   #5
(female)

Liahciara HB User

No, TMJ has to do with your jaw, and grinding your teeth when you sleep. TMJ side effects for me was, my lower teeth are so short from grinding for the last fity years that I am considering capping them. I now have a night guard and it relaxes my jaw, because the amount of grinding is greately reduced.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:09 AM   #6
(female)

basbury HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by springbreak View Post
I have had Bells Palsy since I was 13 years old, I am now 44 and I still get bouts of it, including cramps in jaw, facial pain and sometimes a lot of tears from the effected eye. Sometimes I will get head pains from it too.....my palsy is on my right.

Old 12-28-2010, 06:44 PM   #7
(female)

WhiteBuffalo HB User

I am an older woman who has had various nerves of body act up. It would seem some people just "inherit" tendency fr nerves to show problems and others may have been expoed to toxins and others have demyelating diseases such as MS or ON or Transverse myelitis. I do think then that you may like others possibly have a tendency to have those face/jaw/and other problems manifest. Left side is what I had when I had Bells Palsy. I felt mine was related to dental work but I also simultaneously had severe optcal neuritis. I had most things happen on left side. I never was very good at anatomy/physiology but it seems one possibility is that people get injuries that as they heal cause immune and other reactions. These reactions can radiate into other areas nearby or even on opposite ends of the body. Many people with ON also get knee failure.

Voice of experience: do monitor your various illnesses as later the record may be valuable for diagnosis. But in my 64 years I have had just about every symptom possible. Even as a child I got every childhood disease. I also severely injured myself many tiimes but later forgot about it. The truth is that many times the medical professoinal alone is not enough. Chat rooms like this; church; counselors; etc. etc. may have to be used to get to the root of the problem.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:18 PM   #8
(female)

Liahciara HB User
Lightbulb Re: bell's palsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by basbury View Post
I have had Bells Palsy since I was 13 years old, I am now 44 and I still get bouts of it, including cramps in jaw, facial pain and sometimes a lot of tears from the effected eye. Sometimes I will get head pains from it too.....my palsy is on my right.
Basbury; Yes the symptoms you are describing are related to the bell's palsy, have you spoken to your doctor, I understand that there are Dr's that specialize on facial/jaw side effects, look into it. Mine occured when I was 8, it lasted for 8 months, I was given an injection once a day. I do recall having a twich on the affected eye, that lasted for 2 or 3 years, then it went away altogether. It amazes me that after sixty years or longer of this condition being around, the medical field is suggesting that its cause unknown!
In my case it was not a virus as they suggest, it was a draft that caused the damage, I was bundled up, got hot, removed my hat and scarfe, that's when a cold draft caused the damage, very simple. I have seen people going out with wet hair, when they were exposed to the cold air, they came down with bells palsy. Do you remember how yours started?
Natalia

Old 12-29-2010, 12:54 AM   #9
(female)

basbury HB User
Smile Re: bell's palsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liahciara View Post
Basbury; Yes the symptoms you are describing are related to the bell's palsy, have you spoken to your doctor, I understand that there are Dr's that specialize on facial/jaw side effects, look into it. Mine occured when I was 8, it lasted for 8 months, I was given an injection once a day. I do recall having a twich on the affected eye, that lasted for 2 or 3 years, then it went away altogether. It amazes me that after sixty years or longer of this condition being around, the medical field is suggesting that its cause unknown!
In my case it was not a virus as they suggest, it was a draft that caused the damage, I was bundled up, got hot, removed my hat and scarfe, that's when a cold draft caused the damage, very simple. I have seen people going out with wet hair, when they were exposed to the cold air, they came down with bells palsy. Do you remember how yours started?
Natalia
Mine was exactly the same. I was 13 and in my class room, we had just finished our swimming lessons. The teacher insisted that the windows should remain open, I know that mine was from a draft. I cope really well with my condition although I hate looking at photos! if I am tired you can tell straight away now over thirty years later the condition is still there but no where near as bad. I was replying to someone else who asked a question, but thank you - when my daughters were growing up, I was a great moaner for them wrapping up as I didn't want them to have this

Closed Thread