It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bell's Palsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2005, 12:20 AM   #1

athiena35 HB User
Wink have Bells Palsy what is happening

This morning I woke up and noticed I could no longer blink my right eye. and when I rinsed my mouth out after brushing my teeth water kept shooting out the side of my mouth. I couldnt blend my lipstick with lips cause right side of lips not moving normal. Doctor says its Bell Paulsey. Gave me steroids (Predizone) 3 x's a day and a antiviral (Acyclovr 800mg) 5 x's a day. The only thing that could of caused it was I had a kidney infection the week before am taking Cypro for that.
Dose this all sound right anybody know? Has anyone had it any advise is appreciated. Maybe I had a light stroke I feel fine except for the paralysis on right side of face should I get a second opinion Will it go away.
Thanks

Last edited by athiena35; 12-09-2005 at 12:21 AM.

Old 12-09-2005, 09:26 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User
Re: have Bell Paulsie what is happening

Bells Palsy is caused by a virus that strikes a nerve in the neck, at least that was the explanation my internist gave me many years ago.

Bells Palsy set in after I had a real bad bladder infection. I have no clue as to what the real cause was.

Doctor told me recovery depended on the kind of health you were in when you got the Bells Palsy. Fortunately I was in good health and did have full recovery. However, when I got tired my face would hurt for the next 10 years plus. I had it back in 1965 and even now if I get tired I feel discomfort in my face.

Remember, the virus or whatever can strike just one nerve or can strike the main trunk for nerves. Doctors now think I had the main nerve struck and was a more severe case.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-09-2005, 10:31 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User
Re: have Bells Palsy what is happening

Yup... no stroke. It can also be caused by weird stuff like cold (for example, sleeping with the window open). It's one of those weird things that just happens and they're not really sure why all the time.

Old 12-09-2005, 10:55 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User

My mom had that happen to her. She took the steroids and did make a full recovery. She says she has no symptoms anymore that it ever happened. I am not sure how long it took for them all to go away though. It is one of those odd things. They had no idea why she got it.

Old 12-10-2005, 05:32 PM   #5
(female)

shell3 HB User
Talking Re: have Bells Palsy what is happening

hello, over 40yrs. ago i had bell;s palsy..it felt really strange to have half your face not responding.i went to a dr. cant remember what or if he gave me meds. it went away and i have never had it since.. shell

Old 12-10-2005, 11:22 PM   #6

athiena35 HB User

Thanks to all who replied I really needed to just hear from someone whos had it. I feel better . Thanks

Old 12-10-2005, 11:24 PM   #7

athiena35 HB User

Thanks for the replies I feel better having heard from you all. Thanks

Old 12-11-2005, 07:07 AM   #8
(female)

lukku cairi HB User

I had Bell's three times when I was a kid - now I have a chronic shingles-like inflammation of the trigeminal nerves in my head. No fun! At least I don't have paralysis any more.

There hasn't been a lot of research done on Bell's - it's a syndrome, not a disease - but the nearest they can figure, it's some kind of herpetic-type virus, like a zoster (chickenpox) or a cold sore virus, that somehow gets into your system and affects the 7th cranial nerve. We thought my manifestation was zoster, but it's gone on so long that the presentation seems to be more of a simplex type.

This is why your doc gave you acyclovir, because Bell's is virally-based. Your body is also trying to heal the lesions on the nerve, which is why your doc gave you steroids to speed the healing.

Most people with Bell's have a zoster presentation, i.e. chickenpox, which means one really bad episode and then it goes away basically forever, so if you don't suffer actual nerve damage (i.e. permanent paralysis or neuralgia) you should be OK when you recover. My case is an abnormal one!

Good luck

Closed Thread