It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bell's Palsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2006, 12:28 PM   #1
(female)

Drewsm0m HB User
Question Can't get my doctor to listen to me!

I went to my doctor because I noticed that I was losing my hearing in my left ear (very mild) and because my left side of my face was numb. Here are all the symptoms I described to my doctor:

1) Feeling of fullness in ear
2) Mild loss of hearing in ear
3) Ringing in my ear
4) Loss of balance (almost falling when I step with my right foot)
5) Dizziness and all the fun that comes with it
6) Vertigo unassociated with sudden head movement, laying down or sitting up
7) A headache to end all headaches
8) Numbness in my face that started in front of my ear and spread to cover almost the entire left side of my face (this is the problem that prompted me to go to the doctor)

My primary (in the three minutes he was in the room with me) made the diagnosis of Bell's Palsy. I went home and looked that up and realized that was wrong so I went to an ent. She did some hearing tests and confirmed mild hearing loss. During her exam she also confirmed my thought, not Bell's Palsy. She got distracted by my jaws (I have little to no cartilage in my jaws) and decided part of my problem was severe TMJ (hence facial numbness) and allergies. The problem as I see it is that I have none of the pain associated with TMJ. If I had a case so severe that it was compressing the nerves in my face to the point my face was numb, wouldn't I be in pain. I had TMJ as having my wisdom teeth removed. I don't have that kind of pain or any real pain except some deep in my ear (very mild) and the pain from the headaches. Can any make any suggestions as to what the problem might actually be or how to get my doctors to look a little deeper instead of focusing on one thing and making a diagnosis based upon it? Please Help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2006, 12:50 PM   #2
(female)

rezendej HB User
Re: Can't get my doctor to listen to me!

where are your headaches? front of head? back of head? associated with moving? wake you up at night? vomiting associated?
also, if you don't mind me asking, how old are you? are you otherwise healthy?

Old 03-30-2006, 12:57 PM   #3
(female)

Drewsm0m HB User

I am 37. The headaches are deep inside my head and it hurts across the top of my skull. I am a very well controlled diabetic and am otherwise healthy. I have seasonal allergies, but otc medicine keeps it in check and I have not been suffering from allergy problems. The dizziness and vertigo make me sick to my stomache, but I have never vomited from it. Just felt like I could. It is frustrating to feel like this an neither doctor seems to really be listening.

Old 03-30-2006, 06:21 PM   #4
(female)

rezendej HB User

I'm sorry you're feeling so lousy. i hope you feel better.
maybe you could see a neurologist? look up differentials for bell's palsy on google. i wish you luck on your search. i wish i had more advice. hopefully, it's nothing.

Closed Thread