It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bell's Palsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2006, 10:55 PM   #1
(male)

i3lueHorneT HB User
Question Bug/Spider Bite - Looking for 'bite picture chart'?

Saturday I woke up with what I can only believe is some sort of bug/spider bite, I'm leaning towards spider, on my leg. It's acting a bit different then other bites in the past, the skin around it is more red then I've seen on me before and quite sore.

Wondering if there's some 'bite chart' on the net somewhere I can look over and see if this is a big deal or not and whether I need to do anything about it. I also noticed another bite, seemingly the same, on my knee cap which went away already, guess this one is lasting because its on a meaty part?
/Thanks.

peace,

Old 06-13-2006, 08:06 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

wakkochic17 HB User
Re: Bug/Spider Bite - Looking for 'bite picture chart'?

not that I am aware of.. the vast majority of spider bites don't turn into anything worth seeking medical attention for. The worst I had was one on my face.. I never saw what bit me, but it seemed like a spider bite.. It took 2 months to go away, but didn't get much worse so I never went to the doctor. Even if you went to the doctor all they would say is to keep an eye on. If it gets worse, then seek attention, if not, keep it cleaned and don't worry about what bit you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2006, 02:14 PM   #3
(male)

i3lueHorneT HB User

Thanks for the reply.

Well its started itching today, remains sore in the area around as well. Wondering if I should keep a bandage/aid on it, apply any creams, etc?
/Thanks.

peace,

Old 06-14-2006, 08:43 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

wakkochic17 HB User

hey.. unless it's bleeding you don't need a bandaid, maybe put some neosporin on it for a few days to make sure it doesn't get inflammed. I'm sure you could put some benadryl cream or other anti-itch cream on it to combat the itchiness.

Old 06-14-2006, 01:03 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Hi 13lueHorneT. Do you think you could have been bitten by a tick? If so, you need to take it very seriously. Ticks are very active this time of year, and they can transmit several serious diseases including Lyme disease, Babesiosis, Ehrlichiosis (HME & HGE), Bartonella, and Myocplasma.

It is a good idea to get photos of your reaction/rash. You may need this documentation later. A bullseye rash is a definite sign of Lyme disease; however, there are many other Lyme rashes and only about 50% of people who have Lyme ever get a rash.

Good luck!

Old 06-14-2006, 08:01 PM   #6
(male)

i3lueHorneT HB User

Thanks for the replies, thought I included a bit more in my post yesterday, I forgot to mention a bit:

The immediate area around the bite is a dark 'blood' red, a bit 'embossed' -lifted up/bloated, about the size of a quarter (nearly an inch in diameter), and fairly evenly rounded, is rather hard and firm. Around that lies a much lighter area of red that is also sore to the touch, actualy I can feel the whole area as a bit sore w/o touching it, and is about four inches in diameter. This was the case out the shower yesterday (Tues) morning, can't say I noticed any real redening of this wider area prior to that.

I suppose a tick bite is possible, after doing some reasearch on Lyme disease/bullseye rash I ran across this:
[url]http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs.cmu.edu/user/jake/mosaic/lyme.html[/url]
LYME DISEASE SYMPTOMS IN MAN
[...]
In about 50% of the cases a characteristic rash or lesion called erythema migrans is seen. It begins a few days to a few weeks after the bite of an infected tick. The rash generally looks like an expanding red ring. It is often described as looking like a bull's-eye with alternating light and dark rings. However, it can vary from a reddish blotchy appearance to red throughout. And can be confused with poison ivy, spider or insect bite, or ringworm. At about the same time that the rash develops, flu-like symptoms may appear with headache, sore throat, stiff neck, fever, muscle aches, fatigue and general malaise. Some people develop the flu-like illness without getting a rash.[...]

To an extent this sounds similiar, from what else I've seen and read I don't notice anything particularly like it, the above description is pretty much the same throughout all the metions of Lyme disease I've come across.
/Tell me what you guys think given the new details on its appearence. Thanks.

peace,

Old 06-15-2006, 06:42 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi 13lueHorneT. It sounds like you have a bullseye rash. Although only about 50% of people with Lyme ever get a rash, a bullseye rash is a definite sign of Lyme disease. The rash alone merits treatment. Get photos of your rash, it is important documentation. Place something near it, like a coin or ruler to give it size definition. Then you have evidence of it if needed later. It is good that you got the rash.

Lyme disease is a multi-system bacterial infection caused from the bite of an infected tick. Prompt, proper treatment is extremely important. Getting the proper treatment now may reduce the chance of long-term complications. Untreated or undertreated Lyme disease can be very serious. Take it from someone who knows firsthand--me!

Below is a Lyme symptom list. The rash is only one possible symptom. You can have any combination of symptoms.

Unexplained fevers, sweats, chills, or flushing
Unexplained weight change--loss or gain
Fatigue, tiredness, poor stamina
Unexplained hair loss
Swollen glands
Sore throat
Testicular pain/pelvic pain
Unexplained menstrual irregularity
Unexplained milk production: breast pain
Irritable bladder or bladder dysfunction
Sexual dysfunction or loss of libido
Upset stomach
Change in bowel function-constipation, diarrhea
Chest pain or rib soreness
Shortness of breath, cough
Heart palpitations, pulse skips, heart block
Any history of a heart murmur or valve prolapse?
Joint pain or swelling
Stiffness of the joints, neck, or back
Muscle pain or cramps
Twitching of the face or other muscles
Headache
Neck creeks and cracks, neck stiffness, neck pain
Tingling, numbness, burning or stabbing sensations, shooting pains
Facial paralysis (Bell's Palsy)
Eyes/Vision: double, blurry, increased floaters, light sensitivity
Ears/Hearing: buzzing, ringing, ear pain, sound sensitivity
lncreased motion sickness, vertigo, poor balance
Lightheadedness, wooziness
Tremor
Confusion, difficulty in thinking
Difficulty with concentration, reading
Forgetfulness, poor short term memory
Disorientation: getting lost, going to wrong places
Difficulty with speech or writing
Mood swings, irritability, depression
Disturbed sleep-too much, too little, early awakening
Exaggerated symptoms or worse hangover from alcohol

It is very important to see a knowledgable doctor. Many doctors do not understand Lyme and treat with outdated protocols. From what I understand, an infection caught within two weeks of the bite should be treated with a minimum of six weeks of the proper dose antibiotic. The antibiotics kill the bacteria when they are reproducing, which is estimated at four weeks. Six weeks of treatment will cover one growth cycle. If symptoms are still present, further treatment is warranted. A longer infection needs longer treatment.

If you post where you are located, I will give you the name of the closest knowledgeable doctor to you that I know of. Please take this seriously. You have an excellent chance of complete recovery if this is treated aggressively now.

Old 06-15-2006, 01:05 PM   #8
(male)

i3lueHorneT HB User

Hrm, I'm not so sure what to do then as I can't say any of those symptoms have come about. From what I've read I wouldn't begin noticing them anyway until at least four weeks after the infection, and right now seeing as though I noticed it start as somewhat of a 'pimple' just five or so days ago, I don't see any reason to believe it happened any earlier, especially considering the accompanying bite on my kneecap that it looked identical to that morning but now is just a tiny scab.

Today out the shower the bite was 'pussing' out a bit, I applied a wet-hot washcloth to it, and kept reheating it to drain it some more for nearly an hour. Seeing more 'yellowish white' in the center I drained it with pressure from my fingers in-between heating the cloth which kept releasing more of the gelatinous liquid.

The outer, and much wider light red area that I went into describing in my last post is no longer visible, it seemed to only last the first two days of the week as it was becoming difficult to see yesterday as well.

I live in the South West desert, I haven't seen I tick in this area the whole that I've lived here, out in camp grounds maybe but not here. I wouldn't have a problem getting checked out if I wasn't so strapped for cash, most of what little I bring in goes to other members of my family and I've been trying to got back to school for awhile now. I wish I had access to a digital camera and then I could just ask you guys flat out what it looks like to you.

I'll keep an eye on it as I have been, I"ll be applying a heated cloth to it a few more times throughout the day as there's definitely more 'puss' left in it. The wound itself looks like a cavity after lightly wiping it out the shower, in the center if this cavity is a very dark, almost black splotch, gel-like/shiny from all the liquids/bodily fluid in the wound. This morning before showering it was like a typical scab, I imagine the hot water in the shower brought the 'puss' out.

What is it that says 'Lyme disease' carrying tick over typical bug bite?
/Thanks again for all the detailed replies.

peace,

Old 06-15-2006, 05:20 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi 13lueHorneT. Make sure the black spot in the middle is not an attached tick or insect.

If the rash looked like a bullseye, it is definitely Lyme disease. But, there are other types of Lyme rashes and not everyone who has Lyme gets a rash. Be on the lookout for any symptoms: fatigue, achiness, stiff neck, flu-like.

Old 06-20-2006, 02:27 PM   #10
(male)

i3lueHorneT HB User

Okay, well I continued to heat the wound with a cloth as mentioned a few times last Thursday, the following day, right out the shower the wound was pushing out a bit more, lightly squeezing it released a rather thick, gel-like, light-green 'puss', the last of the bacteria I imagined. Squeezing any further just bleed it.

Since then (over the weekend and yesterday, Monday) the wound has behaved as I would have expected, the area around the bite (size of a quarter, maybe an inch in diameter) is still quite hard but there's no coloration to it, matches up with the rest of my leg *EDIT: Actually its still a bit redish-purple, just a lot lighter and the outer 4inch diameter ring is long gone. The bite is just a scab mark and is the only part with any coloration to it.

Does this sound like it even could have been a tick bite? Again I live in the SW US desert, haven't even seen a tick since I've lived out here, maybe back on the East Coast or in camp grounds around here but not where I live and certainly not in my bed. Can't even remember getting a tick bite but once on my scalp when I was a child and living back East.

I've gone over the symptoms a few times and will definitely stay on top of it, from what I've read treatment is usually quite successful.
/Thanks again.

peace,

Last edited by i3lueHorneT; 06-20-2006 at 11:38 PM.

Closed Thread