It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bell's Palsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2006, 06:04 AM   #1
(female)

Mission_Mom HB User
Question What's wrong with me

Hello,

I am new and I am trying to research what might be wrong with me. If anyone has any ideas I would love to hear them.

I have in the past had doctors who don't take me seriously because I look like a rather healthy young 26year old. However, I do not live the life of someone who is 26 (married 9 years 4kids and so on...) and my health history includes far too many surgeries to be considered very healthy. Furthermore, there are several young people in my family who have died of cancer. Cancer runs ramped in my family.

With all this in mind I still can't get too many doctors to look at me as an individual rather than a statistic.

Here are my problems and lets see if anyone has any ideas:

Syncope
Extreme headaches
Reoccurring pneumonia
Lumps behind ears, under arms, and in groin (doctor verified swollen lymph nodes)
Loss of appetite
Dysphasia (not all the time though)
Chest pain, and PVC that are for some reason painful
Sinus tachacardia
Feel like heart is racing when resting (not due to stress or depression)
Blood work:
C-Reactive protein is extremely High
Sed rate is extremely High
Troponin levels elevated (not sure what is considered high, all I know is I am outside of normal ranges)
Gamma Protein is High
Lymphocytes extremely Low (very often)
AST High
D. Bilirubin High
ImG High (this is new this week, I am not very sure what this means)
IgG High
TB skin test positive (waiting on X-Ray)

If anyone has ideas I would love to hear them. I am going to see a hematologist soon, but I a little confused as to how to approach him yet, so I wanted to test the waters here a bit.

Sincerely,
Sarah

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2006, 10:02 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User
Re: What's wrong with me

Hi Sarah, I am sorry you have been so sick. I know it is frustrating.

I think you may want to consider the possibibility of tick-borne illnesses.
Lyme disease is a multi-system bacterial infection caused from the bite of an infected tick. Ticks are very prevalent this time of year. Many people are bitten without knowing it because ticks are tiny and they inject a numbing agent so you cannot feel them on you. Below is a Lyme symptom list. You can have any combination of symptoms.

Unexplained fevers, sweats, chills, or flushing
Unexplained weight change--loss or gain
Fatigue, tiredness, poor stamina
Unexplained hair loss
Swollen glands
Sore throat
Testicular pain/pelvic pain
Unexplained menstrual irregularity
Unexplained milk production: breast pain
Irritable bladder or bladder dysfunction
Sexual dysfunction or loss of libido
Upset stomach
Change in bowel function-constipation, diarrhea
Chest pain or rib soreness
Shortness of breath, cough
Heart palpitations, pulse skips, heart block
Any history of a heart murmur or valve prolapse?
Joint pain or swelling
Stiffness of the joints, neck, or back
Muscle pain or cramps
Twitching of the face or other muscles
Headache
Neck creeks and cracks, neck stiffness, neck pain
Tingling, numbness, burning or stabbing sensations, shooting pains
Facial paralysis (Bell's Palsy)
Eyes/Vision: double, blurry, increased floaters, light sensitivity
Ears/Hearing: buzzing, ringing, ear pain, sound sensitivity
lncreased motion sickness, vertigo, poor balance
Lightheadedness, wooziness
Tremor
Confusion, difficulty in thinking
Difficulty with concentration, reading
Forgetfulness, poor short term memory
Disorientation: getting lost, going to wrong places
Difficulty with speech or writing
Mood swings, irritability, depression
Disturbed sleep-too much, too little, early awakening
Exaggerated symptoms or worse hangover from alcohol

When Lyme disease is a possibility, it is very important to see a knowledgeable doctor. Many doctors do not understand Lyme and treat with outdated protocols. No test is completely reliable and results can vary by lab. Besides Lyme, ticks can transmit several co-infections including Babesiosis, Ehrlichiosis (HME & HGE), Bartonella, and Mycoplasma. Many people who have Lyme are co-infected, and it may affect treatment choice and progress. It is important to be tested for these by a Lyme reputable lab such as IgeneX in Palo Alto, CA.

The Ehrlichiosis co-infections affect the white blood cells which may show in the bloodwork. Mycoplasma is similar to walking pnemonia. Is this the type you have had? Babesiosis can cause heart palpitations, bad headaches, loss of appetite. Do you ever have shortness of breath and/or night sweats? Bartonella can cause swollen lymph nodes. Lyme disease can cause elevated liver enzymes.

I recommend that you see a Lyme knowledgeable doctor and be tested for all of these by a Lyme lab such as IgeneX. If you would like a doctor recommendation for your area, let me know.

Dont' give up, you will find out what is wrong.

Old 06-28-2006, 11:13 AM   #3
(female)

Mission_Mom HB User

Yeah, actually one of my doctors thought the same thing. I tested negative for lime disease. They have ruled out things like mono, EBV (EBV came back positve for antibody, but no current infection), and I have been tested cat scratch too. So all the basic testing has been done, I am now in the steps of exploring a bit deeper since all the most basic testing has been done.

I must say my doctor seems to wanting to give me a hug every time I go to the doctor lately, so either he is just really sympathetic or something is up.

Old 06-28-2006, 12:35 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Sarah. No Lyme test is completely reliable, and results can vary by lab. Do you know which test you had done and by which lab? You may want to get a copy of your results. It is my understanding that the ELISA or titer is the least reliable and the one most doctors run first.

I know of one Lyme doctor in MI, in Saginaw. If you would like his name let me know.

Old 06-28-2006, 02:19 PM   #5
(female)

Mission_Mom HB User

I had the Lyme ABS test. I was well within normal ranges.

I read all my own bloodwork these days so I have copies of everything. Lyme could definitely explain some of my symptoms, but I am not sure about all the goofy bloodwork. Do you know if lyme disease usually throws off bloodwork itself? With so many things actually in my bloodwork it makes me wonder.

If I don't get any good results from the hematologist I may like that referral you offered.

Thanks for all the encouragement!

Sincerely,
Sarah

Old 06-28-2006, 03:16 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Sarah. It sounds like you had the ELISA test, it is the least reliable.

Lyme disease can cause elevated liver enzymes. Tick-borne illnesses may or may not affect other bloodwork. For example, the Ehrlichiosis co-infections infect the white blood cells. If you have Ehrlichiosis, your white count could be low. I have had the Ehrlichiosis co-infections but my white counts were okay. The co-infections Babeiosis is similar to malaria and affects the red blood cells. I had this infection twice and all my red blood cell related tests were affected one time and not the other.

Lyme disease is the second fastest growing infection disease in the US after AIDS and the number one vector-borne disease in the US, yet nothing is being done to educate the public and medical commnity. It is in every state, yet many doctors believe it exists only in the northeast. It can be very difficult to get diagnosed. Take it from someone who knows firsthand.

Good luck at your upcoming appointment. I hope you get some answers. Let me know how it goes okay?

Closed Thread