It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bell's Palsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2006, 09:25 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

sawbuck44 HB Usersawbuck44 HB Usersawbuck44 HB User
Stroke or Bell's Palsy

Hi, my dad is 76 has emphysema, diabetes, high blood pressure and he had a stroke (or so we think) about 3 weeks ago. We all noticed his right eye was drooped and he told us (kids and wife) that he was digging something out of his eye and tried to brush it off. Well, over the next few days he was very unbalanced when he walked and seemed dazed and talked a lot less. We finally got him to go to the hospital where we became even more confused. They did all kinds of tests, ekg, mri, ct scan, blood. The vascular doctor told us he had 75% blockage in his right cartoid artery, but they didn't think he had a stroke, they think it is Bell's Palsy. The right side of his mouth is also drooped but he feels no numbness other than his right side of his face - arms and legs are fine. When he was in the hospital and tried to walk unassisted - I was right behind him he basically let motion carry him forward and when he tried to turn around he would have fallen if I didn't steady him. Now he has to use a walker.

After insisting as to why the doctors didn't want to do a stent, they told us he wasn't strong enough. They said to go to the vascular doctor in 6 months to see how the blockage was and we'll see if they have to intervene.

My dad's speech is getting worse daily. He sounds nasily and slurred. He has trouble swallowing but can still eat and drink. He only gets up to do #2 otherwise he uses a container for the other.

Tomorrow we take him to see a new doctor because VA takes so long to approve medications that when he got out of the hospital we had to pay full price just to make sure he had what he needed. VA needs 30 days to approve. They also cannot visit him in the hospital so we had to take him to the VA after he was out of the hospital so they could evaluate him and his need for the meds and walker. I had to go to a Loan Closet to get a walker.

I just pray that the doctor tomorrow will give us a better understanding of what's going on and what we should do. He is getting no therapy to help him walk again. A speech therapist comes to the house and it doesn't seem to be enough. I bet if he had better insurance this wouldn't be happening.

Any ideas of why his speech is deteriorating? thank you and God bless us all we sure need it.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: sawbuck44
jccruz (09-18-2011), Liahciara (12-27-2010)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread