It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bell's Palsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2006, 09:55 AM   #1
(female)

fallenleaf HB User
we don't know what's wrong with him

any ideas to throw out there would be helpful.
Doctors seen: family doctor (once) neurologist (once) and internal medicine (appt is coming up next month)

Symtoms: All the time dizziness, (for the past 2 months) weakness (especially in hands, but also all over) sweating for no reason, clearing throat alot after eating meals, restless legs, has had one bout of numbness in face. Also is tired often, doesn't sleep or eat well, has a physically demanding full time job. Has has memory problems also for about 2 months or so. He also sweats often & not because he's hot.

THE dizziness and weakness is the major problems.

Tests done: MRI, normal ECG normal except bpm was 104, 2 blood tests, (first one had high monocytes and low white blood count, & second test a month later was all in normal range) Had a nerve test also, which was normal... I know he just need to see his doctor but does anyone have any ideas about what this could even possibly relate to? Please any ideas. Thank you.

Last edited by fallenleaf; 07-27-2006 at 07:56 PM.

Old 07-25-2006, 10:40 AM   #2
(female)

Mandarra HB UserMandarra HB User
Re: we don't know what's wrong with him

Hello there, first off I am certainly no doctor so please get a professional opinion but since you asked I wanted to give my thoughts. Since you had all the tests that have come back normal I would say that anxiety and stress could very well cause all the symptoms you mentioned. I've had alot of strange things happen to me all because of the intense anxiety I suffer from. I had every symptom checked out and it all pointed to stress. The mind is so powerful it can make you sick. I now control my anxiety with anti anxiety drugs and meditation, I'm managing my life day by day.
I hope you get to the bottom of this because not knowing is just awful.
Mary

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2006, 12:45 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Hi fallenleaf. I suggest that he have his thyroid tested. Ask that they check the Free T3, Free T4 (in addition to the T3, T4) and thyroid antibodies in addition to the normal thyroid panel. These tests are not normally done but are necessary for a comprehensive view. I suggest that you post this information on the thyroid board for feedback. The people there are great.

Do you think he could have been bitten by a tick? Tick-borne illnesses can cause many symptoms inlcuding the ones you list. When these are a possibility it is very important to see a knowledgeable doctor. Many doctors do not understand tick-borne illnesses. No test is completely reliable and results can vary by lab. It is important to be tested by a Lyme lab such as IgeneX in Palo Alto, CA. If you would like a doctor recommendation for your area, just let me know.

Do not give up, you will find out what is wrong.

Old 07-25-2006, 06:03 PM   #4
(female)

fallenleaf HB User

Thank you for both of your replys...
He had his thyroid checked Friday, but I doubt they checked the extra stuff you mentioned. What they did check for was normal I think. I will find the results soon & post them. Also, he was tested for 5 tick diseases on Friday but still waiting for the results.

We live in a small area so getting the best is probably not very likely but you have to start somewhere. His internal medicine appointment is in a big city which may or may not mean they are better? I'm going to ask them about testing for the Free T3 and Free T4 then. I'm learning alot online, but sometimes after spending hours & hours searching on the net it still doesn't answer some questions. So thank you whoever made this site!!

His internal medicine appointment is on the 1st, so please keep those ideas coming. I want to know what all to look into and maybe ask the doctor. Again, thank you for your replies. They are helping me by keeping me busy with something I feel like is constructive.

Last edited by fallenleaf; 07-25-2006 at 06:11 PM.

Old 07-26-2006, 05:56 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

Just exactly what areas did they do the MRI on and did they also use contrast?depending on what was scanned,not all things will actually show up on an MRI.using the contrast helps but again not perfect either.if they just did his brain,they also need to do the entire c spine as well.

alot of his symptoms do point to something neuro but there are also other symptoms going on that don't.so I can see where your problem lies.the thing is,there could be more than one possible issue going on at the same time too,so don't ever totally rule out that possibility either.

you could try seeing another neuro or even a neurosurgeon,they do have a much better overall knowledge of the brain and the spinal areas than most neurologists.I have seen both types and the NSs win by far as far as the knowledge that was needed to treat my bizarre conditions.

what type of 'nerve test" did they do and where?you know even having an MRA of the brain wouldn't hurt at this point.it will just highlight only the arterial structures within the brain and nothing else.this would be able to detect any possible vascular malformations that may possibly cause the type of symptoms your hubby is having.when i had my aneurysm in my brain,i had really light types of symptoms but they sound very similar to some your hubby is having.an MRA would at the very least,either rule it in or out and you can move onto other areas.this is just one possibility.but at least you would know whats up in the brain. if they did not use contrast with the MRI,this MRA really would be a needed test.

hopefully something will show up and put all the pieces together for you,i know just how frustrating this can be when having symptoms and just trying to find out why.ya gotta keep pushing things with all of the docs till somone finally comes up with some answers for you.please keep us posted onhow things are going.good luck,FB

Old 07-26-2006, 06:54 AM   #6
(female)

fallenleaf HB User

Hi. The MRI was done on the head & it was done w/wo contrast. (both)

The nerve test... I'm not sure what's it is called but they tested his arms. First w/electical shocks while hooked to this machine that measured something. They also tested his muscles with this needle hooked up to a machine and they stuck it in his hand, arm, & back of neck.

Old 07-26-2006, 05:14 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Paulinejw11 HB User

Hi, after reading your letter I had to respond. I am no doctor, but after suffering most of the symptoms you mentioned ( and many more ) for 20 or so years of my life, I've just found out I'm suffering from a condition called Candida. Both men and woman suffer from this, it has many debilitating symptoms, and with the right treatment it can be cured.

deleted

You can go to your local health care store and purchase a Candida test to see if he has it or not. My advice to you would be to visit a professional irrodoligist to assist you along the way.

all the best, I hope I have been of some help, please let me know if this has been of any help, thanks.

Last edited by Administrator; 07-26-2006 at 06:59 PM.

Old 07-27-2006, 07:45 PM   #8
(female)

fallenleaf HB User

I know something has to be causing this. It's frustrating... He has been dizzy for just shy of two months now. I asked him if his dizziness ever went away, and he said not really, but sometimes are worse than others.

Thank you for the latest response. I appreciate all responses, however when I searched for candida it did not list being dizzy as a symptom.

Last edited by fallenleaf; 07-27-2006 at 07:53 PM.

Old 07-27-2006, 09:52 PM   #9
(female)

bailey11 HB User

Hi Fallenleaf,

I am currently on treatment for yeast/ fungal overgrowth. I've done quite a bit of research on Candida, and being dizzy is apparantly one of the symptoms. Im not saying this is what his problem is, but I wouldn't rule it out too fast. I found this list of symptoms on a website:

Candida Yeast/Fungal overgrowth has been found to be a common occurrence in many disorders and is also present in millions of other people who cannot figure out what is wrong with them, or what to do about it.

Symptoms vary from person to person and fluctuate in severity, or may come and go. Most symptoms are invisible, which makes it difficult for others to understand the vast array of debilitating symptoms with which we contend.

The most common are:

an incapacitating fatigue
problems with concentration and short-term memory
flu-like symptoms such as pain in the joints and muscle
extreme tightness in the shoulders and neck
hyper-acidity/acid reflux
brown colored mucus in the back of the throat
blisters in the mouth/tongue/throat
either white or "blood blisters"
unrefreshing sleep
sore throat
white coated tongue
dark circles under the eyes
an aversion to being touched or jumping
"crawling" skin
chronic sinus problems and headaches including migraines
chronic dental problems

Visual disturbances may include blurring, sensitivity to light and eye pain.

Psychological problems may include:

depression
irritability
anxiety
panic attacks
recurring obsessive thoughts
personality changes and mood swings (irrational rage or crying for no reason - fear of talking to people, any kind of confrontation, isolation)
paranoia

More of the physical symptoms may include:

chills and night sweats
shortness of breath
dizziness and balance problems
sensitivity to heat and/or cold
alcohol intolerance
gluten and/or casein intolerance
irregular heartbeat
irritable bowel
constipation and/or diarrhea
painful gas and abdominal bloating
low-grade fever or low body temperature
numbness, tingling and/or burning sensations in the face or extremities
dryness of the mouth and eyes
difficulty swallowing
projectile vomiting

Also:

menstrual problems including PMS and endometriosis
recurrent yeast infections
recurrent ear infections
rashes and dry, flaking skin
eczema
dermatitis
acne
skin discoloration and/or blotchiness
dandruff
jock and rectal itching
chronic athlete's foot
chronic toenail and fingernail fungus
ringing in the ears (tinnitus)
allergies and sensitivities to noise/sound, foods, odors, chemicals
anemia
weight changes without changes in diet
light-headedness
feeling in a fog
fainting
muscle twitching and muscle weakness
restless leg syndrome
low sex drive and/or numbness in the genital area

These are only the symptoms most commonly reported and documented.

There are so many symptoms, and I've been suffering from most of them for the past 25 years. A yeast infection left untreated can be quite severe after so many years. You've got nothing to loose by getting him tested for it just to see, if not, then one more thing you can rule out and move on to the next.
Goodluck and all the best

Old 07-27-2006, 10:27 PM   #10
(female)

fallenleaf HB User

Thanks again. I won't rule it out.

He does have many of those symtoms actually. And I forgot to mention the one about being touched. He says it hurts. Also if the fan is on him he says that hurts sometimes.

Well, it's something to think about anyway. I appreciate it.

Last edited by fallenleaf; 07-27-2006 at 10:27 PM.

Old 07-28-2006, 06:10 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

It hurts to be touched?exactly where?now this is really sounding like a neuro issue.the fan blowing over the area also sends his pain level up?this is whats called allodynia?I have this as a component of my central pain syndrome.

I have to ask here,what is his past medical history like?any possible past injuries to anything anywhere??ANY sort of possible trauma or injury?

if you could possibly pinpoint a bit more exactly just where and what symptoms he has it would give me a bit clearer picture of just how the nerves would run including the dermatomes?this is any given area that a specific nerve runs to and innervates.the thing is,when there is any actual affectation of a nerve anywhere,it can effect this specific dermatome,knowing EXACTLY where his pain is and espescially the area where it hurts when touched and the fan blowing over the area is.this would help to at the very least find just what specific nerve affectation this all leads to,you know what i mean?

some injuries just cannot be actually seen,even on MRIs or with emgs,(which is that nerve test you mentioned?and EMG nerve conduction study will only really show definitive damage to a given nerve,but not the more intermittant type of affectation,unless of course the nerve just happens to be in that compressed or affected state when the actual test is done.

if you could just really "paint me a picture" starting from the top to bottom of his given symptoms and what areas are affected and how,it would help tons,really.i dO think we could be on to something here since you mentioned the allodynia.part of this sounds like a neuropathic type of pain.or even a neuro pain syndrome.

i have two seperate and different neuro pain syndromes.one is central pain syndrome and the other is RSD.they are both rather excruciating in nature and while they do share some of the same characteristics of each other(they both have a certain level of allodynia),they both also have some different symptoms that make them unique from one another too.and these both are caused by two totally seperate things.the CP is due to spinothalamic tract damage in my spinal cord and the other was triggered by sympathetic nervous system damage that occured at that same surgery.there was alot of specific but very different types of damage done to my spinal cord which each injured area actually will show itself in a different unique way.it all sucks really but has really also expanded my overall knowledge of neuroanatomy,lol.so at least i can possibly help others to try and figure out their possible neuro nightmares,so thats something positive that came out of a nightmare surgery and damage.

if you could provide all symptoms he is having or had at one time along with the other info,it would really help me alot.FB

Old 07-28-2006, 04:55 PM   #12
(female)

fallenleaf HB User

His skin is just sensitive. Like if I rub his arm, chest, leg... he says it bothers him. His skin is hypersensitive. I think it's mainly light touches. He has symptoms of Restless leg syndrome and it helps his legs if they are massaged.
I can't remember if I wrote this already but he is always clearing his throat after he eats, especially if he eats and lays down. Those symtoms he has had for years.

Of course the new worrisome symtoms are the dizziness and weakness. Which came suddenly about 2 months ago and still haven't went away. The dizziness doesn't go away and gets worse sometimes. Weakness is mainly in hands, but also in his whole body. (His job of 7 years is very physical, so he notices it alot.)

Plus his memory isn't what it use to be. That's new (started a few months ago) He is very smart but lately he seems like he doesn't get some things. I guess he is worried and that distracts him? But he says he feels like he's in a fog and that he feels out of it. I use to think that it was because of his night job and lack of sleep, but he's been on medical leave for roughly 3 weeks while they try to figure this out and he's not any better. (He kept putting off seeing the doctor hoping it would go away on it's own.)

He also had numbness in his face, pretty bad once, then a couple times after that to a lesser degree. When we told the neuro that she kind of dismissed it, saying well that would be a brain symptom and his MRI is clear. I was impressed with her overall, but that one thing kind of bothered me.

He didn't sleep well (till they put him on remeron about 2 weeks ago) and didn't eat well either. He would sleep about 4 hours a day and of course none at night cause he works nights.

Just want to gripe a bit here.... His dad won't give up on the idea that it's because he spends hours on the computer and that it's because of his eyes. He wears glasses, which are about 4 years old, and probably need to be replaced. It's driving me crazy! The doctor told us that would not cause his symtoms.... but could pure exaustion? Then again, he has been sleeping better lately and no improvement.

Old 07-28-2006, 05:02 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User

Has your husband been tested/screened for fibromyalgia or MS? I know this is so very worrisome for both of you and to not have an answer is terrible. Please don't stop searching for an answer.

Good Luck and take care!
Lezlee

Old 07-28-2006, 10:27 PM   #14
(female)

MandyPandy HB User

There are so many symptoms that it could be one thing or a number of overlapping things. I have fibromyalgia and restless leg syndrome and have many of these symptoms. The dizziness and tiredness could be anything from low/high blood sugar, to diabetes, to a heart condition to allergies for example. I have neck problems (From accidents but mainly exasterbated from sitting at a desk all day long for long hours) and if he has a pinched nerve in his neck or something like that it can make you dizzy, and also forgetful and tired etc. if it is cutting off the communication between your brain and the rest of your body etc. I think I read that he had an MRI but I don't remmeber where it was of so if it was not the neck I would suggest that, I would suggest some more tests on blood pressure, geting the RLS treated and maybe even being tested for allergies.

Best of luck to both of you!
Amanda

Old 07-29-2006, 05:11 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

One thing you really need to find out with regards to the RLS? is this actually RLS or whats called hyperreflexia.i have hyperreflexia and have had it ever since the day after my spinal cord was damaged.this occurs when there is direct damage to nerves that go to the legs or evn with certain brain issues or spinal cord damage to specific tracts.but at any rate it IS not normal and indicates a possible nerve issue.

try doing that little "hammer' test on his knees?you can use the handle part of a butter knife?just find the area in the knee that responds to the tap(it may take a few attempts)but find that spot and tap it with that handle end,the side of it(this just has a bit more wieght)and see what type of response you get.there should not be more than a bit of a kick there.if you get nothing or a real over exagerrated response,this would indicate a nerve issue somewhere.but the hyper reflex would be a bit more telling.

i too am starting to wonder about fibro,and possibly combined with some other possible problem.hopefully something will finally "stand out" here and guide you in a positive direction as far as a cause and Dx here forhim.this just has to be extremely frustrating for the both of you.i know what its like to have symptoms of 'something' only to basically,mostly because i am female,be told its stress or anxiety.boy the docs sure do get alot of miliage out of those two words.I do hope something will finally show up on something here and you can get on with just treating it and move on with your lives and out of this holding pattern you are in right now.again,please keep us all posted on things.sorry i couldn't be of much help to you.hang in there.FB

Closed Thread